LNG Proposals

Recchia

Nobody has really brought up the whole LNG in Providence or Fall River issue. I was wondering what people's opinions were on it. Would Providence benefit economically from having one, what would its impacts be environmentally and economically, what about one at Fall River, etc.?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nobody has really brought up the whole LNG in Providence or Fall River issue.  I was wondering what people's opinions were on it.  Would Providence benefit economically from having one, what would its impacts be environmentally and economically, what about one at Fall River, etc.?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, energy costs for consumers would probably be lower, but everyone is concerned about safety issues. Frankly I've had it with the way everyone is so obsessed with terrorism, especially at airports and sea ports. It's all too much!!! We are becoming all to paranoid. I'm no fool. I know there are terrorist out there waiting to strike out against the USA. But I believe were overdoing the whole security thing a little bit too much. I flew 10 days after 9/11 because I figured it would never happen again. But I guess it could. Fear disgusts me, and is a sin. I believe that there's never been a LNG accident anywhere in the USA, or maybe even the world.

I don't see why they have to come all the way up to the heads of Narragansett and Mount Hope Bays, isn't this what Quonset Point should be being used for?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmmmm "Buddy" Cianci's three cities project called for most of the commercial businesses along Allens Ave being located to Quonset Point, which didn't play out too well in North Kingston. It was like NIMBY!

Well, energy costs for consumers would probably be lower, but everyone is concerned about safety issues. Frankly I've had it with the way everyone is so obsessed with terrorism, especially at airports and sea ports. It's all too much!!! We are becoming all to paranoid. I'm no fool. I know there are terrorist out there waiting to strike out against the USA. But I believe were overdoing the whole security thing a little bit too much. I flew 10 days after 9/11 because I figured it would never happen again. But I guess it could. Fear disgusts me, and is a sin. I believe that there's never been a LNG accident anywhere in the USA, or maybe even the world.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The LNG thing.... Hmm. well lets just say there is not an LNG facility anywhere in the USA like the one they want in Providence or Fall River. With that i mean more people in the line of fire, schools, hospitals, residents, its just a mess when you think of what could happen. And your right about the over saturated terrorism stuff. Fear is the only way to control the masses and this adminastration is ruling with fear. With that said, There is no reason at all to put your self in danger of such an act occuring. Considering that the Loacl econamy could benifit all the same if the LNG port could be placed off shore. Sure it would cost more loot. But all the same, what if bla bla bla...

I say no to LNG in PVD...

Mij

I think that most of the officials opposing the LNG expansion in Providence are doing so because of the opportunity to move the site and claim the area for development. Everyone was all for it at first, if I remember correctly. I can't say I disagree though. Is it dirty to cover the real motive with concern for safety? Yeah. Does it work? Yeah. Are we usually bothered by the idea of dirty tactics for social goods? Nope. I think a good way to put the stance of Rhode Islanders when it comes to these situations is: Welcome to Rhode Island, go **** yourself if you don't like it. How great is it when we unite for something under the story of "safety" while we're all thinking that the waterfront would be "soooo awesome, if we get those ugly tanks the hell out of here". We'll keep it hush so as to not mess up our only opportunity.

Look how quick we were to act about the powerline relocation issue around 195. Who cared who had to pay for it in the end? Hide those ugly power lines. We're getting better at selfishly jumping at these chances. GOOD.

I don't see why they have to come all the way up to the heads of Narragansett and Mount Hope Bays, isn't this what Quonset Point should be being used for?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think it should. Perfect location, and with the highway access to the site, nobody can beotch that Quonset is too hard to get to anymore.

Hmmmm  "Buddy" Cianci's three cities project called for most of the commercial businesses along Allens Ave being located to Quonset Point, which didn't play out too well in North Kingston. It was like NIMBY!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The NIMBY's around Quonset will never be happy with any proposals for it. Here you have this massive greyfield site that is prime for redevelopment, and nobody wants anything there. I don't think the residents around it will be happy unless they turn it into endless cul-de-sac subdivisions with huge houses around them, much like the development of the town over the past 20 years.

Anyone think that putting the LNG site in Washington Park or South Providence along Allens Ave will spawn accusations of environmental racism, or is it sufficient to argue that it would merely go in the main industrialized part of the city (along Allens Ave)?

Hmmmm  Even though there has never been a serious safety issue/problem before now this was all about 9/11 wasen't it?  :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Its the world we live in. Very sad. I hope the RI state officials continue to support the Fall River officials. Even though the LNG will not exspand in PVD, RI waters will still have to permit the large tankers to pass through. I think a more unified front on the part of the MA political leaders would have helped. With that said, I think it speaks volumes for the Rhode Island political leaders. I tip my hat.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Can you imagine the outcry from the NIMBYs about an LNG terminal at Quonset? Remember the hysteria when Gov. Almond and others wanted a container port there?

Interesting, I wouldn't have thought that the LNG expansion would have caused such negative speculation even across the river in East Providence....

The first waterfront parcel that the City of Providence has bought--is that the Sasaki plan one? It says its working with a firm from Boston.

• 1 month later...

Loosely related to this topic and the regional economy in general is this excellent editorial from the ProJo regarding the sparing of local base closings...

http://www.projo.com/opinion/editorials/co...e.17dffbc3.html

Here's the key quote:

"So, apparently good news. But we hope it doesn't seem so good that New Englanders forget the need to develop other economic engines, in part by boosting the region's physical infrastructure and public education, and dealing honestly with the region's drawbacks, such as its scary paucity of clean, low-cost energy and New Englanders' weird disinclination to nurture the ports that first made the region rich.

Defense jobs, vulnerable to politics and economic cycles, and the low-wage "hospitality" industry do not make for a thriving long-term economy. The economic marginalization of New England continues. If residents want to live in a quaint backwater, that's fine -- but do they know that's where they're still sailing?"

That's exactly what I was saying about New London. They've dodged a bullet, now's the time for them to diversify their economy in preperation for when the bullet actually hits.

New London is a great area, there's no reason that city should be stagnant.

There's a Base Closings thread here.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

New England lawmakers call for regional approach to LNG siting [Boston.com]

I have to say Im amazed that people arent calling for the end of the world in this thread. Amgen being sold to National Grid almost cements the idae of a major lng terminal in the city of providence.

Projo Article

Any way would love to here what you guys have to say about this..

Jim

a regional look at the LNG needs is really smart. There are far more proposals in the pipeline (so to speak) than we could possibly ever need here, so what many are asking for is that FERC look at all the proposals and site one or two facilities in the smartest places. Fall River is not a smart place because there are limitations there. There are better places for a LNG terminal and Providence is probably one of them.

Even enviros know that you cannot, on the one hand, be screaming for the us to be weaned from the filthy oil and coal teat, and at the same time, hold up the sign of the cross regarding LNG facilities. There is no doubt that we need an LNG Facility in the North East but do we need 7 or more of them? Instead, FERC is looking at each proposal at it comes in, so the chances of the facility being sited in a crappy place, just because it was first on the list, are very real, and the fear valid.

your milage may vary.

Archived