Millennium Gate

davidcjw

They were discussing this on the local news this morning. I'm notorious for my lack of aesthetic taste, but to me this thing seems odd, especially in Atlantic Station. It's 72 feet tall - won't it dwarf the adjacent apartment complex? What is it supposed to be a gate to?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is it supposed to be a gate to?

I'm not even going to criticize the style & design of this, but your point is the most notable critique of this. This type of monument is signficant in areas that it provides a 'welcoming' to - but the location is in the middle of AS. But that is a good point, this monument should be placed at a location that is more prominant, such as Pershing Point in Midtown or even Brookwood Interchange.

Any updates on this project? How is it coming along? When will it be finished? I know that "Peace and Justice" were supposed to arrive last week, right?

They did indeed arive last week, and were delivered to AS on a horse drawn caison. The "parade" went up Peachtree St , and I got a pretty good look at them as my condo overlooks P'Tree. From the looks of these two statues, this thing may not be as bad I as I once thought it would be.

I was looking for something else and ran across this article, which provides some additional background on the monument. Kind of a snooty attitude from the author, but an interesting look at the concept of the project nonetheless.

Snooty or not, the author gets it pretty right. As a fan of Classicism, I feel that Atlanta's architectural stock is pretty lousy. There are few recent buildings that are of serious worth. Even the Modernist buildings in town are rarely worth any critical regard.

To me, if you are going to throw up a lot of mediocre buildings (at least as far as critical acclaim goes), at least let them look nice(more Classical). That way, at least, the average "man in the street" will appreciate them more.

Exactly......I'm just wondering what the triumpal arch is celebrating? For the amount of money this will cost, something modern of national recognition could be built....instead, what's coming is a throw-back piece of architecture which says, I wish this city looked older than it really is.

My thoughts exacltly!

If you go to AS they aleady have pedastals with bronze figures on them. The arch will be in the middle and these things are on the opposite sides of the streets that part around the central park. Someone else please go over there and kick one of them for me and tell me if I'm right to say that they are stucco and not stone. Not only is this out of place...it's cheap. Ok the bronzes are cool but not at AS.

I'm trying to like the arch. As for its location... that's a lost cause for me. I don't think I will ever like it because the scale and architecture are out of place. AS looks great but the apartment buildings will be cheapend by the over-blown-classical nature of the arch.

Too late, I know but...

Have you heard about the idea to put a park over the downtown connector at the state capitol building. On the other side of this new park would be another linear park terminating at Oakland Cemetary. The project that the park will go through is called (and under construction now) Capitol Gateway.

CAPITOL GATEWAY!!!! Is the arch not a gateway to the next 1,000 years for Georgia.

Here is the CG link.

http://www.atlantahousingauth.org/investme...n=capitol_homes

Why was this not a catalyst to build the park and anchor it with an arch that out one side looked toward Oakland and out the otherside, the gold dome of our capitol building??? An amazing peace of classical architecture.

Check out the park if you don't already know about it. Go to the Summary Brochere. Look for the Capitol in the SE corner and notice the park.

http://www.atlantadowntown.com/ImagineDown..._The_Vision.asp

enjoy!

• 9 months later...

I'm still hoping that if nobody says anything about it that it will just go away.

Amen to that... This thing is incredibly embarassing... Rich-boy, pseudo designer Rodney Mims Cook is playing with Grandpapa's money again--- too bad he has no taste... (and less talent)...

BTW... he clearly sees this hulk as a monument to the 'ruling class'-- in this case the owners of Atlantic Steel-- The thousands of Steel workers who spend most of thier lives here be damned, lets build a replica of the bosses office...

• 2 months later...

Archived