Can Philly Cure Cancer?

city guy

Philadelphia is already the East Coast "nerve center" for the largest NCI-sponsored clinical trials - that is, research studies that test new cancer treatments or methods of cancer prevention or detection on patients.

But did you know that?

The Philly-based Coalition of Cancer Cooperative Groups is responsible for enrolling about 50 percent of all patients in clinical trials in the United States and Canada. It includes nine groups - four of which are in Philadelphia - that administer clinical trials.

In fact, it's not farfetched to say that if there is a way to stop cancer - or, as is more likely with this disease, a series of promising treatments - someone from Philly is likely to play a role:

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is fantastic info CityGuy! I never knew that Philadelphia had such world-class (indeed the class of the world) facilities over there. Pittsburgh, though nothing like what you mentioned above, does have a vibrant cancer fighting community, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center is the country's largest network of Cancer research and treatment facilities, as well it (UPMC) is working on something that is being hailed as the closest thing to a true cure for cancer then has been discovered in the last 25 years!

Re cure: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05051/459069.stm

I'm really surprised and impressed with Philadelphia's depth and breadth in addressing this cruel disease. I'm glad to see that if the stories I've been following locally don't turn out to be the answer to it that Philadelphia has the facilities to succeed where Pittsburgh might have failed. Either way it'd make me a proud Pennsylvanian the day the Governor is announcing they have found a cure for cancer, and Philly's infrastructure is giving us the best shot at making that happen!

;)

Archived