Carolina First Center

orulz

A four story building is a waste of space. Once you lose that plot of land to such an unmitigated piece of crap, you're sealing it away from serving a more useful purpose. And in the future, assuming someone does want to build something worthy of a downtown location, they've just made it harder to do so because having to tear down the piece of crap on that plot of land will jack up their costs.

This sucks and I'm pissed off.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 6 months later...

For rore details about this building which is under construction, read this

article.

Most of the space will be used for the bank, but there will be a cafe on the ground floor.

Looking at these renderings, this buiding is a disappointment on the whole. Half of the lot is used for surface parking, it has a drive thru, it was scaled down from 10 stories to 4, doesn't appear to be really at sidewalk level, the design is uninspired and boring, and it looks like the materials used are mediocre at best (metal panels, artificial stone, and some brick).

Well, it's not what you'd call a thrilling building for certain, but it doesn't look to actively offend. I'm most upset about the loss of height, but I think it's an okay building. It kind of has that art deco theater flourish to it, and at least it fronts onto College. I'd be in a bottle-throwing mood if the building were set back behind its parking lot.

Man, it sucks that this got scaled down; I really liked it at 10 stories.

The name is interesting though, as Greenville's convention center, formerly known as the Palmetto Expo Center, has been renamed "Carolina First Center," and the College of Charleston's new arena currently under construction will share the same name.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

It's a measurable step down from the initial 10-story design, and it has a drive-through, and the design is essentially a sterile box.

However, it's a sterile box with retail that's nicely oriented to the street. Somehow I pictured it being set back 10 or 20 feet from the sidewalk behind some planters, but it's not... and that's a good thing.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Buncombe County is buying this building. They will continue to lease the retail space to Carolina First and Jersey Mike's. The idea is to relocate some from the courthouse and consolidate others from other places here.

Wonder if they're regretting not going with the original 10 story design now. I think the building was downsized in the first place because of disputes with the county.

Buncombe County is buying this building. They will continue to lease the retail space to Carolina First and Jersey Mike's. The idea is to relocate some from the courthouse and consolidate others from other places here.

Wonder if they're regretting not going with the original 10 story design now. I think the building was downsized in the first place because of disputes with the county.

The same Citizen Times article says they plan to build more courtrooms adjacent to the existing courthouse eventually. Not sure where that would fit, though. I seem to recall discussion of closing Davidson Street and building there. I Hope they don't. Superblocks suck. The county owns a couple of parking lots along College Street in front of the jail. The new courtrooms should go there. Or in any of the other vacant lots nearby.

Archived