2004 - 2000 Population Comparisons by Distance

teshadoh

By the way KRC, I just noticed you are from Providence, which is the red-headed step child of New England.  I have spent time there and I can tell you, it cant carry Jacksonville's jock strap in terms of being a nice city.  Aside from a few historic neighborhoods, which the present day inhabitants did nothing to create, there isnt much there.  Boston is of course a much bigger more cultured town than Jacksonville, but Providence??  Come on, y'all's idea of culture is spaghetti on Federal Hill.  What a joke.

In general, New England is sort of like the appendix of the United States - it used to be a vital, important region, but not when anyone can remember and it is better off being surgically removed.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nice try, but no. Everyone loves Providence, no one was fond of Jacksonville. You've never been to Providence and it shows. You can't hurt someone's feelings when they don't care about your opinion. You're upset with me because I have been to Jacksonville and the reviews of Jacksonville were bad. You have never been to Providence and reviews of my fair city are positive.

Spaghetti on Federal Hill! Love it. Just love it. Good luck finding it!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice try, but no.  Everyone loves Providence, no one was fond of Jacksonville.  You've never been to Providence and it shows.  You can't hurt someone's feelings when they don't care about your opinion.  You're upset with me because I have been to Jacksonville and the reviews of Jacksonville were bad.  You have never been to Providence and reviews of my fair city are positive.

Spaghetti on Federal Hill!  Love it.  Just love it.  Good luck finding it!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're assumptions are nothing more than just that. After reading dozens of reviews, most were of high praise barring the below normal weather.

I have an idea, we'll compare reviews next time Providence hosts the Superbowl, oh wait....

Thanks, j/k.

Actually, I've been through Providence. Not bad. More a college setting than Jax. Don't like the weather though, I'm just not a cold weather fan, but that's not exactly Providence's fault. I do like the Bank One building, very old world.

Does this mean everyone loves Providence? No. My point? Just because you had a bad experience in Jax doesn't mean that everyone else hates it too. Please don't assume so much.

Thanks, j/k.

Actually, I've been through Providence.  Not bad.  More a college setting than Jax.  Don't like the weather though, I'm just not a cold weather fan, but that's not exactly Providence's fault.  I do like the Bank One building, very old world.

Does this mean everyone loves Providence?  No.  My point?  Just because you had a bad experience in Jax doesn't mean that everyone else hates it too.  Please don't assume so much.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I love a good pissing match! :D

I don't think the negative opinions are in the minority here in regards to the Super Bowl. The Super Bowl being IN Jacksonville period was the laughing stock of sports radio for the entire week leading up to the game, locally and nationally.

I really doubt that they'll come back there anytime soon.

I've only been there once, so I still haven't formed a completely honest opinion of the city, but based on reputation, I won't be moving there anytime soon.

Providence I've never seen, but would like to visit. I love New England, but don't think I could live there because of the weather.

Congrats Patriots fans from an Eagles fan.

The Super Bowl being IN Jacksonville period was the laughing stock of sports radio for the entire week leading up to the game, locally and nationally.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're right, it was leading up to SB week, but many of them changed their tune during and after the game. Granted if you follow the SB much, you know every single city gets ripped on harshly by sports radio with San Diego, and to a lesser extent new Orleans, being the few exceptions. Sports radio, almost all media actually, get their revenue from bad mouthing. It's taught in marketing 101. Say something positive, you get 10 hits/calls, etc...say something negative, you get 100.

You're right, it was leading up to SB week, but many of them changed their tune during and after the game.  Granted if you follow the SB much, you know every single city gets ripped on harshly by sports radio with San Diego, and to a lesser extent new Orleans, being the few exceptions.  Sports radio, almost all media actually, get their revenue from bad mouthing.  It's taught in marketing 101.  Say something positive, you get 10 hits/calls, etc...say something negative, you get 100.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The only other Super Bowl city that got ripped as much as JAX was/is Detroit.

Sports Talk Radio hosts are morons. I wont even respond to those clowns.

KRC: You deny I have been to Providence? Since you dont know me, I am sure you are equipped to make that statement. I can tell you that I was in Providence in August, 2001 on a swing through New England and it really wasnt that impressive. I stayed at the Biltmore downtown (which needed refurbishing and was full of local louts there for a wedding). Things I liked about Providence: old historic neighborhoods, state capital building, hills around town. Things I didnt like: everyone reminded me of Carla's deadbeat husband from Cheers, downtown was tiny with not much skyline (yes, there were some old school buildings which I liked), the granola, faux-intellectual college kids, and it is generally a small town which appears much smaller than the MSA population of 1.6 million would indicate. By the way, I did like the mansions in Newport. Still, it appears that much of the glories of this area were in the past. New England in general is a declining region, as I stated earlier. We should have let y'all secede and join Canada in 1812.

I do find it amusing that you come on here and start ripping Jacksonville in a completely inappropriate way in a forum that is not even related to city vs. city bashing and then, when I respond, you get all offended. To quote Austin Powers: "You fight like a woman". The bottom line is Rhode Island is nothing more than a pimple on Florida's ass. Go away flea.

Well, like I said. JAX has a reputation in my head built from a number of things heard/said throughout the years, although I really haven't spent much time there, so I don't want to rip it to bad. Personal experience counts most, and I haven't completely written that city off. I just know that whenever the Hokies play in the Gator Bowl, you look around the room, and everyone is kind of like, "Do we really want to spend New Year's in Jacksonville?" But, we'll give it another shake. From what I've read in all of these forums is that the city has taken great strides to make it more appealing. You've got to love pro-active cities.

Cooper: I appreciate that. I never said (and neither did anyone else) that Jacksonville was Paris on the St. Johns. We are improving the city, downtown is seeing a lot of new construction and proposals, it is a fast growing city (21% per decade population growth) and it is in a beautiful place on a large river and the ocean. Does our downtown need more activity? Sure. Could we be doing better? Yes. I think we should all applaud the efforts of others to improve their cities and I only descend to city or region bashing when first attacked by someone else.

That's coming from people in Blacksburg, Va? I'm sure it's great on New Year's Eve. (We keep this up and I'm going to need something to drink, :P )

All the bashing that was dished out by sports radio has been remedied years ago. The only problem we really had that was valid was lack of hotel rooms but an ingenius idea to bring in cruise ships fixed that.

What was the topic again? Oh yeah. Basically, don't knock it till you've been there and don't listen to sports radio, it'll kill brain cells.

That's coming from people in Blacksburg, Va?    I'm sure it's great on New Year's Eve.  (We keep this up and I'm going to need something to drink,  :P  )

All the bashing that was dished out by sports radio has been remedied years ago.  The only problem we really had that was valid was lack of hotel rooms but an ingenius idea to bring in cruise ships fixed that. 

What was the topic again?    Oh yeah.  Basically, don't knock it till you've been there and don't listen to sports radio, it'll kill brain cells.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We don't live in Blacksburg, VA by the way. Blacksburg is a town of 5,000 people with a college. Where do the college kids from? Washington DC. Those that graduate, very few stay and work, very few. Very little to do there outside of be a college student.

I work in sports as well as development so while some of them are idiots, there are those whose opinions I respect, so I won't throw them away as a whole.

But, like I said, I'll need to visit again, hopefully come December for the ACC Title.

Wow... this conversation sure got ugly. At least when River and I were bickering it was somewhat peaceful... other than his dis on my username. Anyway, Jax isn't bad, Charlotte isn't bad, and even though I have never been there and have no idea where it came in, I'm sure Providence isn't bad either! And lets all get back to talking about population comparisons by distance.

Come on, lets get back to the original topic, which was a pretty good one.

Teshadoh, is there anyway to get the Jax density numbers, excluding the river, in the same fashion you excluded Biscayne Bay in Miami?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm afraid not - with the time I have. I would need to clip the area based on the river, which would require additional steps. I didn't have to do anything for Miami, b/c it was already excluded (though if I think now - Biscayne Bay may be included)...

Basically - I could do it, but I don't feel like it - sorry :)

These figures are in a radius from the central zip code of each city. Uninhabitable land such rivers, bays, marsh and rough terrain could not be taken into account.

Jacksonville:

2 mile - 25732

4 mile - 137680

5 mile - 244314

7 mile - 299697

10 mile - 624773

Charlotte:

2 mile - 21350

4 mile - 144255

5 mile - 172010

7 mile - 335524

10 mile - 611694

Nashville:

2 mile - 27684

4 mile - 136495

5 mile - 190198

7 mile - 311164

10 mile - 410142

Providence:

2 mile - 152557

4 mile - 308450

5 mile - 464732

7 mile - 538010

10 mile - 754467

Memphis:

2 mile - 23443

4 mile - 100084

5 mile - 148210

7 mile - 309693

10 mile - 541143

Raleigh:

2 mile - 12890

4 mile - 69419

5 mile - 200192

7 mile - 265714

10 mile - 517155

Atlanta:

2 mile - 17575

4 mile - 92389

5 mile - 144222

7 mile - 352845

10 mile - 837824

New Orleans:

2 mile - 117943

4 mile - 328636

5 mile - 423065

7 mile - 726596

10 mile - 886845

Birmingham:

2 mile - 45307

4 mile - 120204

5 mile - 177821

7 mile - 299157

10 mile - 390685

5 largest in 2 miles:

1. Providence

2. New Orleans

3. Birmingham

4. Nashville

5. Jacksonville

5 largest in 4 miles:

1. New Orleans

2. Providenc

3. Charlotte

4. Jacksonville

5. Nashville

5 largest in 5 miles:

1. Providence

2. New Orleans

3. Jacksonville

4. Raleigh

5. Nashville

5 largest in 7 miles:

1. New Orleans

2. Providence

3. Atlanta

4. Charlotte

5. Nashville

5 largest in 10 miles:

1. New Orleans

2. Atlanta

3. Providence

4. Jacksonville

5. Charlotte

Great work Viper. I do love New Orleans and the density there is great. I am always surprised that NO didnt develop into a larger city considering it was one of the biggest and richest in the country for many yrs. I think the residents/leaders just became resistant to change.

That makes a lot of sense that Charlotte is up there in density up to 4 miles and then drops out of the picture......you can definetly sense it when driving away from downtown......after about that 4 mile point, the development patterns change from connected streets with small lots, and lots of infill and original multi-family, to modern sprawl complete with cul-de-sacs in every neigbhorhood.

It's interesting how a city the size of Atlanta doesn't even appear on the list until 7 miles out! Explains their massive traffic headaches.

It seems the smaller metros have done a better job keeping more population close to their CBD. And with all of the downtown revitalizations across the southeast, those numbers are going to increase greatly within the 2 mile radius.

Congrats to New Orleans for keeping the population very tight.

I am always surprised that NO didnt develop into a larger city considering it was one of the biggest and richest in the country for many yrs.  I think the residents/leaders just became resistant to change.

Perhaps it's the fact that it's below sea level and is surrounded by water on three sides? If I were looking to put a corporate HQ of some size and importance, NO would be one of the last locations I would consider. I think this is one of the reasons LA has been a bit lax in their height DT as well.

I think that is an intelligent assessment Neo. I don't know about everyone else, but last year when the hurricanes were destroying Florida there was some concern that NO was going to be flooded and a great deal of it destroyed. Corporations don't want to be based in a place like that because it is bad for business. Most corporate HQs (like the one I work at) require employees at that location to support the rest of the nation (or world). If a huge hurricane cuts power or damages buildings it affects more than just that local area.

Archived