Hancock's faulty windows

Cotuit

So a while back I commented in some thread on SSP that periodically, during strong storms, the area around the Hancock Building in Boston is still shut down due to the fear of falling windows, and that they do indeed still fall/break on occassion. Some jerky know-it-all told me I didn't know what I was talking about, the Hancock window problem was solved, there's never a need to close that area. Well...

Hancock%202003-1113.jpeg

Workers remove a cracked window on the 21st floor of the John Hancock Tower today. Police closed off streets around the skyscraper today out of concern that high winds could blow out the broken pane. (Globe Staff Photo / John Tlumacki)

If that know-it-all is reading this (I can't remember who it was) Nyah Nyah!! :P I lived across the street from the Hancock for almost 2 years, I know how much of a problem the building continues to be.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I walked by the Hancock Building yesterday. I had to chuckle at the missing window.

Apparently this window was cracked before the storm and the streets were closed to break it out so that it wouldn't accidently break out later. But how many other areas had to be closed last week due to fear of falling glass from the high winds. They made a fix for the window problem, but the building continues to have to be carefully monitored.

The Hancock window problem was fixed(somewhat), however on occassion they do shatter but they don't fall out anymore. They break because many factors: mostly due to temp changes and defects in the glass. When they do shatter it is similar to a automobile windshield, all in tiny pieces. A film on both sides of the window is anchored into the sides preventing the window from falling out. This film has been tested to work in winds up to 200mph. Each window has a sensor on it which alerts building staff when it shatters.

About fridays fiasco: the window shattered that morning, it was replaced as a precaution, they could not use a window washing rig because of the winds so it had to be taken out from the inside, the only reason this made news is because window replacement is normally done on weekends and nobody notices.

Archived