Historical Buildings in Greenville

SVL

https://news.furman.edu/2019/12/06/sam-hayes-brings-passion-preserving-greenville-historical-buildings/

This is an interesting article. I've always loved seeing older building saved and repurposed. You just don't get some of the character of the old buildings when you build new. What other buildings around town need to be saved? What are some of your favorites that have already been saved?  I'd love to see a list.

• Like 2

On 1/15/2020 at 10:09 AM, SVL said:

https://news.furman.edu/2019/12/06/sam-hayes-brings-passion-preserving-greenville-historical-buildings/

This is an interesting article. I've always loved seeing older building saved and repurposed. You just don't get some of the character of the old buildings when you build new. What other buildings around town need to be saved? What are some of your favorites that have already been saved?  I'd love to see a list.

ha, my 1890's  home!  After a flipper failed to flip it, our current home was going to be leveled and turned into multi home lot until we purchased it and brought her back.  The city provides incentives for people willing to save an architecturally significant home. Id love to see those expanded, and renewed to protect those homes after they have been saved.    Even now, because of its location, some opportunistic developers still want our house to tear down. When the incentives expire, it will be harder to stay.  If I were to move,  without a lot of renovation work/tax incentives, there isnt as much of reason to invest in the home vs dividing into lots from a numbers perspective. There are some great developers in town btw, I dont mean to sound anti-development, I am far from that. I just feel strongly about protecting the character of our town (or any) and one of those ways is through history and architecture. And I am not anti-modern architecture, there is a place and need for that too, especially in the CBD and waterfront now providing it doesnt mean destroying something architecturally significant.  The brutalist? Greenville news site was a tough one, it seems to have been sacrificed for the greater good of the city.  Sometimes tough calls have to be made. Well maybe in that case not so tough, it was a terrible use of that space compared to now and that style can be pretty hard on the eyes for some.

Edited by gvegascple
  • Like 1