Globe Trading Co.

wolverine

gt01.jpg

The Globe Trading Company, located in Rivertown, has an uncertain future.

gt02.jpg

gt03.jpg

gt05.jpg

gt06.jpg

gt07.jpg

gt04.jpg

A homeless man flips through an old newspaper. Amongst all the concerns over making the city beautiful again, it is important to not forget that other serious problems remain unresolved.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're correct in saying it isn't siginfiicant architecturally. And I don't see any reason why it should be renovated. I think it should be just left as it is. Although, it's best we try and rehabilitate every abandoned structure we can, I think some are just fine left the way they are. I think more and more people are having a fascination with urban ruins, and this particular building provides an excellent opportunity for people to experience something like this. The building is always open, and there is plenty of parking out front.

huh? This is right in the middle of a district that's about to be gentrified. I would have never guessed you were of the same thought as those that would want to keep parts of Detroit as some kind of morbid, Disneyland. They either need to take it down, or try and renovate it. Letting it stands as is in a district that's about to be renovated isn't an option.s

Gentrified with what? Overpriced cheap-ass rowhomes and foamboard loft warehouse look-alikes C'mon LMich, what's Disneyland now? I'm all for redevelopment in this area. If you think I'm against any kind of promising transition of this neighborhood, you got me wrong. But there's nothing going on in Rivertown right now. Leave the Globe alone for awhile, let the rest of Rivertown develop, and then we will figure out what to do with this building. It really doesn't have promising future, but it is still interesting as an artifact of our past.

Great thing about Rivertown is that it's huge. There are many blocks of warehouses and old buildings. Many of them are beyond repair, uninteresting, and need to be torn down. Others have great potential to being converted into residential units and businesses. The rest will be infill. The problem? Well, the recent article posted about Rivertown states that only 1 block is intended to be saved, that's only small fraction of the Rivertown area. This building isn't standing in the way of major revitalization. Build around it. Drive through Rivertown, I guarantee you there is more than enough space.

I think the Globe Trading Co. will add to Rivertown. The exterior of the property can be cleaned up, but the inside can be left as it is, and serve as sort of a museum. Have you ever visited Houghton and Calumet, Michigan? They have hundreds of mining buildings across the area. Many were restored and converted into other uses, some were tunred into museums, but some were left as is, with a few repairs to keep the structure in tact. Preservationists beleived that it should be left just as it is, so that people could understand its history more clearly. Because once an old warehouse is converted into condos, it is no longer a warehouse on the inside.

Great pictures. I really like the last one with just the touches of color.

If they can convert into something then great, otherwise the structure needs to go. This Rivertown district can be a major catalyst in sparking growth in Detroit. I dont think they can afford to let such valuable property sit as an urban ruin museum. People wanna live down by the river and if someone wants to turn it into residential then that is great. I dont think its in the best interest of that district or Detroit to let it sit there as a museum.

What's the history of the building? If any significant events happened at the plant, it may be worth saving, as a cultural center or marketplace for the redeveloping riverfront area. However, I don't see the need in letting it sit and continue to rot. The city is full of urban industrial ruins in areas that aren't seeing redevelopment. If someone is willing to invest in the property and they decide to tear it down, so be it.

The Globe Trading Company complex was built by the Berlin Iron Bridge Company between 1892 & 1919. The Machine Shop portion of the complex, built in 1892, was the first building in Detroit to be entirely supported by a steel structure.

Prior to being occupied by the current buildings, the site was home to the Detroit Dry Dock Engine Works. It was here in the fall of 1880 that Henry Ford got his first exposure to the internal combustion engine. He learned much about mechanized production at the site, and some reports state that he produced his first sutomobile engine there.

Well, the site has an arguably historic significance. First building supported by steel structure, Henry Ford...that's just great. Ultimately, it would be great to see it protected from rotting and maintained. I cannot advocate just leaving it as it, unless it is from the standpoint that there are no plans for the site currently. Use current funding to help rid the city of something dangerous, come back and deal with this when someone has an idea, then decide on the significance...that is one of the few things that really confuses me about Detroit. What is with the big rush to get rid of buildings that can stand for years to come, but just disregard buildings that are a menace to those around them and/or missing parts and actually structurally unsaveable and unsafe?

Archived