Beleaguered Aslan Building to see new life as 7th St Lofts

GRDadof3

The Aslan Building, part of Bob Israel's grand plan on the West Side along Seward, is going to see new life. You guys probably remember it as the building that housed an Israel's showroom, that was foreclosed on by Macatawa Bank.

Developers plan to add a restaurant/pub, health club and two floors of residential. No word if the units will be apartments or condos.

http://www.grbj.com/articles/78931-developer-plans-lofts-downtown

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That used to be Israel's "The Other Store," right?

I believe so. The Aslan has a huge glass front on it and looked like a furniture store. I thought the public could go in there but I never checked it out.

I don't know if this search return will show up publicly, but a bunch of pics I took back then:

http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=62831350@N00&q=aslan

This is the former location of The Other Store.  The John Widdecomb Trade Center was just south of this. That is the building that was "to the trade" for designers, five stories of gorgeousness. It seems more fitting for a development, but who knows what the status is. I recall Spectrum Health had offices in a portion of the building.

I had only been in the "to the trade" store once and it was a long time ago so my memory was a bit fuzzy.  I think that spectrum has taken a substantial portion of the widdecomb building at this point.That is a nice building though and I agree would make for great lofts.

Archived