Richmond Dining-Out scene

burt

Burt, you must have one heck of a growling stomach and nose to smell our seafood from that far away!

Mmmmmm. I love well-prepared seafood.

I had suspected that Boston-based LEGAL SEAFOOD would make an entry into the Richmond market, but they have not expanded south of its K Street location in Washington, as far as I know.

Our friend, Deveron, at Style has some good news for over-the-store apartment dwellers on Broad Street and for other food seekers as well.

POPKIN TAVERN, long discussed in these pages, is set to open its spacious quarters by early October. This restaurant occupies ground floor and mezzanine space in the former circa 1900 furniture store at 121 West Broad on the corner of Jefferson Street. Apartments on three levels above are fully leased. Says Deveron, "Seating groups clustered throughout the space will be anchored by a long bar and accented by original tin ceiling tiles, period detail and spacious new kitchen and service areas". A chef was not named in Deveron's report nor were menu selections.

Two blocks east at #1 West Broad on the corner of Foushee is the famous old TARRANT DRUG STORE currently being refitted with booths and counter seating 47. The new restaurant will specialize in sandwiches, soups, salads, retail wines and carryout and will have a full bar. Deveron says Amos (Freeman Gosden) of "Amos and Andy" fame worked there "while attending school in the 1940's". While, indeed, Gosden may have worked at old Tarrant's Drug, it would have been well before the 1940's because "Amos and Andy" was a popular radio show in the 1930's, long after Gosden's soda jerking days in Richmond.

Between these new West Broad restaurant treats is the flourishing TWENTY SEVEN at Adams Street.

The entire stretch of "Furniture Row" from near 1st Street to Jefferson has been converted to residential, office and retail. Almost all the apartments in these and other area buildings, I would guess approaching 500 in number, are leased. Our friend Jon manages The Renaissance in the turreted building opposite Theatre IV's Empire Theatre and across Adams Street from TWENTY SEVEN. In addition to elegant large meeting rooms, Renaissance has a number of residential units.

A large number of art galleries along and "Off" Broad in this district attract throngs for "The First Friday" art walk.

Downtown's revival is moving east block by block. :yahoo:

Edited by burt

Two blocks east at #1 West Broad on the corner of Foushee is the famous old Tarrant Drug Store currently being refitted with booths and counter seating 47. The new restaurant will specialize in sandwiches, soups, salads, retail wines and carryout and will have a full bar. Deveron says Amos (Freeman Gosden) of "Amos and Andy" fame worked there "while attending school in the 1940's". While, indeed, Gosden may have worked at old Tarrant's Drug, it would have been well before the 1940's because "Amos and Andy" was a popular radio show in the 1930's, long after Gosden's soda jerking days in Richmond.

Burt is that just east of Adams and Broad on the north side or south side? There was a great conversion occurring on the north side near Adams recently. It seemed like a great space for a restaurant.

Burt is that just east of Adams and Broad on the north side or south side? There was a great conversion occurring on the north side near Adams recently. It seemed like a great space for a restaurant.

Tarrant's Drug is the s/w corner of Foushee and Broad. It was a drug store for about a hundred years and was one of (if not THE) first buildings in the 70's to convert its upper floors to residential.

Seems to me I heard from someone that a one-story building across Broad (north side) near Adams is being demolished and replaced with a new 3-story structure.

Edited by burt

The BANK got a raving review from Style's Joseph Cates. IT really is a great place...

BANK gets its share of attention downtown

Richmond’s financial district finally has a restaurant destination worthy of its midday hustle, its best-of-old-and-new architecture and its five blocks of big-city vibe. From service to atmosphere, from parking to partying, Bank, owned by restaurateur Mo Roman, is firing on all cylinders — and it’s been open only three months. As for food, Chef Matt Turner, formerly of Trick Dog Caf
Edited by wrldcoupe4

That's a neat web site for BANK if a little difficult to negotiate.

This new restaurant near 10th on Main is certainly garnering good reoports from all over.

I wonder if the high rise Heritage Apartment building next door is full? If not, BANK just may attract new residents.

Edited by burt

Dana ventures to southwest Edge City between Brandermill and Woodlake and samples JACK'S RESTAURANT at 13923 Hull Street Road, tel. 804/739-3444, and awards it two and a half stars.

Her final comment says it all: "JACK'S can overcome Hull Street Road's chain restaurant stronghold, but it needs to look to its name for advice. Jack up the flavors a bit, and Applebees won't be the only place for eatin' good".

Tab for two: $72.

I wonder if Dana has ever tried nearby BRANDERMILL INN? If nothing else, it has a nice setting and lake view.

And PS, Wrldcoupe4's favorite Mexican is also out that way I believe.

Edited by burt

Today's review in the TD by Dana Craig is about HAVANA 59 at 16 North 17th Street in Shockoe Bottom, tel. 804/780-2822.

Says Dana, "...Havana 59 is back, once again vibrating with an inate sultriness that made it one of Richmond's unique hot spots. The posh indulgence of pre-revolutionary Cuba still lives on through crumbling plaster, exposed brick and strings of lights criss-crossing the restaurant's open-air dining room."

It garners three stars and maybe will get more in future coverage if some attention is paid to uncertain servers and certain entrees. The menu, since reopening and recovery from Hurricane Gaston, is heavy on fish, but a wood-grilled Hawaiian Tuna "approached shoe leather, killing all flavor." Mahi Mahi a la Rodriquez, "however, was a provocative roller coaster of contrasts."

"Taste of Habana" included Ropa vieja, Picadillo and slow roasted pork. With their various accompaniments they were respectively described as "rich and pull-apart tender" (vieja); "danced between sweet and tangy" (Picadillo), and "took traditional to blissful" (pork).

Dana ends with "I suspect its pre-flood glory is just around the corner."

The mojito remains the top bar seller, and wine selections range from $7 a glass to $23-$245 per bottle.

Tab for two: $103.

Edited by burt

Thanks, Coupe. We have discussed all except HUCKLEBERRIES, but it's good to keep up to date. The next location for BLUEPOINT FISH CLUB is planned in your neck of the woods - on Pennsylvania Avenue near 13th street in DC.

I remind all that COUS COUS is an operation of (here we go again!) Mr. Yamas h i t o. He is also contemplating a restaurant in the former MAINLY PASTA across from his STICKY RICE on West Main in The Fan.

NEW YORK DELI in Carytown, which was recently reopened under new management, is the new "in" spot with its 40-foot bar attracting the beautiful people.

Edited by burt

CAPITAL ALES HOUSE is expanding. The flagship on Main between 6th and 7th streets has taken over the 8000 s/f building next door. The added space will provide a larger dining room and a better staging area for entertainers. Perhaps McLawsdrive will pull a gig there. :good: A beer garden behind the building and basement rathskeller are expected to be on line in 2007.

CAPITAL ALE also has an operation in The Shoppes at Innsbrook and plans a new expansion in the planned Midlothian Square off the Turnpike near Colony Pkwy.

Incidentally, my friend Hanny Rowe will be appearing at Cary Street Cafe tomorrow night, Tuesday 9/19.

Cool, Burt. I'll try to make it out to CSC tonight, although week nights are difficult for me.

Kewl, as we youngsters say! Hanny's group is called Gongzilla and is scheduled to go on at 9:30 tonight.

If you go, say hello to the oldest gray-haired lady in the club. That would be Ales Rowe, Hanny's step Mom and my friend. She told me to tell you to wear a red rose so she'll recognize you.

Edited by burt

I don't think I can make it. I wouldn't go to bed until 2:00 and I have to work in the morning. I'll wait until next time.

I'm glad Ales called me so I could alert you. His act is the headliner, so they have to wait for the openers to play and then set up. He estimates it will be around Midnight.

Let me know if you've got any gigs set up in Metro Richmond during October.