Richmond Dining-Out scene

burt

The RTD's critic, Dana Craig, has stumbled upon the third incarnation of a restaurant in the Ridge Road Shopping Center. The building with an oddly shaped front had a succesful and colorful run as Graffiti Grill. New management called it River's Ridge Bistro which never acheived the success of its predecessor and finally folded.

FLINN'S is the newest tenant (not to be confused with FINN McCool's at Innsbrook -- the only bar in Virginia where wagering on horses is legal.)

The menu at FLINN's is standard fare one might expect to find at TGI Fridays or Applebees, but the restaurant is locally owned and draws big crowds.

From today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdis...ne11-ar-645209/

FLINN'S

Dana's rating: Two stars

403 North Ridge Road (close to the popular Angela's Ristorante in Ridge Road Shopping Center)

804/303-6125

http://www.flinns.biz

Noise level: Average to high

Tab for two: $36

Edited by burt

Richmond dot com's dining-out couple, Jon and Leah Nelson, say BONVENU "walks the fine line of comfort and fusion cuisine."

Dishes such as butternut squash dumplings; pan roasted duck breast; coffee-crusted strip loin served over a gorgonzolo sauce; bacon-smashed yukon potatos with grilled baby carrots, and pineapple brulee hardly resemble "comfort" food to me.

Part of the Nelsons' complaint about BONVENUE is in the preparation and execution of their meals. I suspect another reason may be that they were seated at a cramped table near the bar.

But they are definitely correct in complaining about a gristly, tough strip loin priced at $28.

From today's Richmond dot com:

http://www2.richmond...view-ar-647094/

BONVENU (that's Esperanto for "Welcome")

The Nelsons' rating: Two stars

2915 West Cary Street (across from the Byrd Theatre in Carytown)

804/342-1003

http://www.bonvenu.com/

Noise Level: High

Tab for two: Pricey

Edited by burt

Karri Peifer of Richmond dot com interviewed Aline Reitzer who is the founder and President of Richmond Restaurant Week.

Reitzer established the annual event in 2001 and it has grown through the years. Twenty eight local restaurants participated this year and figures are still being tallied.

From today's Richmond dot com:

http://www2.richmond.com/entertainment/2010/nov/15/truth-about-restaurant-week-ar-649570/

I had dinner last night in a rather spectacular Thai restaurant here in New York called ROOM SERVICE. It's on the east side of 9th Avenue between 47th and 48th Streets. There is at least one other in the Chelsea district. The one in Hells Kitchen (some call it Clinton) is something to look at -- a huge chandelier encased in glass is suspended in a well between the ground floor and the basement. The walls and ceiling are studded with framed mirrors.

It's a very trendy place with even more trendy clientele. And fairly reasonable. I had a Thai dish called Massaman Curry with duck for $13.90. Including cocktails, wine, dessert, tax and tip the bill topped $90 for two of us, and was worth it.

The female servers all wear snazzy little hats and the bus boys are distinguisable by their black caps.

Edited by burt

Matt Sadler at RVANews has compiled a small list of his favorite breakfast hash houses in Metro Richmond.

Granted, many years have passed since I lived in Virginia, but I do recall there were two McLEAN's restaurants, both of which dished up some fine morning vittles. One was at a triangle on West Broad near Hamilton Street (I think?) and the other was out on Staples Mill Road (but not as far as the Amtrak station.) I have no idea whether they're still operating, but in my day both McLEAN's were rated highly by breakfast connoisseurs. They had specialities such as sauted brains and salted herring along with ordinary ham and eggs.

On a recent visit I had an excellent breakfast at LOUISIANA FLAIR at 4th and Grace Streets. PERLEY's, a few blocks west on East Grace Street is another good one.

I usually stay with relatives in western Hanover County on my infrequent visits and often find myself chowing down on eggs at ASHLAND COFFEE & TEA enroute to the city.

But I have to admit that the bountiful breakfast buffet served up at SHONEY's on West Broad Street at Skipwith Road rings my bell. :)

http://rvanews.com/f...ast-place/33691

I wasn't absolutely sure that McLEAN's was still a Richmond Breakfast institution since I've been away from Virginia for so long. But Deveron Timberlake's Short Order column in the current Style Weekly verifies that it's still around.

McLEAN's, still dishing up brains and eggs with salt herring, is in a new location at 3205 West Broad Street close to Channel 6 TV Studio and Byram's Lobster House. (OMG, BYRAM's!!! -- now there's a story of longevity we'll get into in a future posting.)

From the current Style Weekly:

http://www.styleweekly.com/ME2/dirmod.asp?sid=9B6FFC446FF7486981EA3C0C3CCE4943&nm=Articles%2FArchives&type=Publishing&mod=Publications%3A%3AArticle&mid=8F3A7027421841978F18BE895F87F791&tier=4&id=6C8A770B0ACA4E698DD920F5D4428CA4

I am so pleased to read that Don Baker, writing for Style Weekly, highly recommends AMOUR WINE BISTRO. Owner Paul Heitz is from the Alsace region of France from whence esteemed chef and owner Paul Elbling of La Petite France hails. In fact, Elbling, since leaving La Petit France, has been a consultant to Heitz.

AMOUR WINE BISTRO is the small and quiet neighbor to the boisterous brasserie called CAN CAN immediately across West Cary Street. The word I'm hearing is that, despite its cost, the bistro has quite a large following.

From the current Style Weekly:

http://www.styleweek...4D5D8D75AC9F55D

AMOUR WINE BISTRO

3120 W. Cary Street in Carytown

804/353-4020

http://www.amourwinebistro.com

Edited by burt

I was going to post a story about BYRAM's at a later date (see 2nd posting above re: McLean's) but this story in today's RTD prompts me to tell what I remember from the old days.

http://www2.timesdis...ki17-ar-658056/

In about 1945, prior to matriculating at RPI (now VCU) and before being drafted into the US Army in 1946, I took a summer job as an apprentice sales person at Thalhimers.

At that time, when World War II was winding down, Richmond was bustling with activity. There were two excellent downtown restaurants: The Occidental on 8th between Broad and Grace, and BYRAM's (formerly known as Daly's) on East Broad between 7th and 8th next door to the Regal Shoe Store (it's "boot" sign is now at The Valentine Museum of Richmond History.)

Around 1943 DALY's had changed ownership and became BYRAM's. It was the nearest thing in Richmond to a New York style restaurant -- long and narrow with white table cloths, low lighting and an excellent menu of steaks, chops and seafood. At that time mixed drinks were not legal in Virginia, but beer and wine were sold.

The owner of BYRAM's was a suave, tall middle-aged gentleman who greeted guests and lent an air of sophistication to the surroundings. In fact, I believe he was Mr. Byram.

The restaurant remained for some years at the East Broad Street location.

Meanwhile, uptown on West Broad Street, there were four very popular restaurants -- two of which were supper clubs. WAKEFIELD GRILL offering its signature "Chicken in the Rough" was on the north side of Broad in the 3200 block. On the southside in the 3100 block was ORANGE JULIUS, a sort of ice cream shop. Also at 3215 West Broad was THE PADDOCK. TONY's SUPPER CLUB was a block west.

In those whisky-free days, customers at supper clubs had to bring their own booze in brown paper bags and put it under the table. There were no bars in these establishments, but set-ups and ice could be purchased.

I know for a fact that THE PADDOCK was operating as late as 1948 because I surprised my parents by bringing a car full of fellow students from New York City for a brief visit. We went out dancing at THE PADDOCK to a great music combo and had a fun evening. Later, perhaps in the early '50's, it became BYRAM'S.

And so, BYRAM's endured under changing management to this day. I think it was the first restaurant in Richmond to serve mixed drinks when the law was relaxed in 1969.

Edited by burt

AMUSE, the clean, sleek new restaurant on the third level of the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts offers a special Thanksgiving menu.

AMUSE serves lunch and a tapas menu at tea time daily, but dinner is available only on Thursday and Friday nights. Last reservations are accepted at 8PM on those evenings.

Here is the restaurant's website:

http://www.vmfa.state.va.us/Amuse/

Edited by burt

Do you remember Franco's, the elegant Northern Italian restaurant that used to be way out on West Broad Street beyond Parham Road? It was owned and operated by the couple that now call Sensi on Tobacco Row home.

Now the large, spacious building houses VIETNAM GARDEN. It is the subject of Dana Craig's rave review in today's RTD: Despite its proximity to numerous restaurants in the immediate area, including southern Asian options, VIETNAM GARDEN tops the list.

http://www2.timesdis...ne18-ar-660241/

VIETNAM GARDEN

Dana's rating: Three-and-a-half Stars

9031 West Broad Street in a strip shopping center

804/262-6114

http://www.vietnamgardenva.com

Noise level: Average

Tab for two: $32

And be sure to view Dana's Slideshow with another excellent musical score. (I sure would like to know if they are locally produced!)

Edited by burt

Do you remember Franco's, the elegant Northern Italian restaurant that used to be way out on West Broad Street beyond Parham Road? It was owned and operated by the couple that now call Sensi on Tobacco Row home.

Now the large, spacious building houses VIETNAM GARDEN. It is the subject of Dana Craig's rave review in today's RTD: Despite its proximity to numerous restaurants in the immediate area, including southern Asian options, VIETNAM GARDEN tops the list.

http://www2.timesdis...ne18-ar-660241/

VIETNAM GARDEN

Dana's rating: Three-and-a-half Stars

9031 West Broad Street in a strip shopping center

804/262-6114

http://www.vietnamgardenva.com

Noise level: Average

Tab for two: $32

And be sure to view Dana's Slideshow with another excellent musical score. (I sure would like to know if they are locally produced!)

My wife and I have been die-hard fans of this restaurant for years. I've been to Mekong several times and the food just doesn't compare (Vietnam Garden is much better) yet Mekong is always packed. Hopefully the new location will attract more people.

My wife and I have been die-hard fans of this restaurant for years. I've been to Mekong several times and the food just doesn't compare (Vietnam Garden is much better) yet Mekong is always packed. Hopefully the new location will attract more people.

Mekong is the place to go for beer (aside from Capital Ale House) as they always have an extensive revolving collection. The food is certainly good, but as you pointed out, there are better.

Karri Peifer at Richmond dot com has some restaurant "dish" to share:

MAINSTREAM is the new tenant at 1731 West Main Street in The Fan. Over the past decade the site has been home to Dogwood Grille, Cirrus and Plaza Mexico. MAINSTREAM offers reasonably priced comfort food. Dinner service will begin when a liquor license is received -- which might be today. Meanwhile, lunch is being served.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SAVOR CAFE in Manchester has had to change its name because of trademark infringement. Henceforth, it will be known as THE LUNCH PORTER.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kendra Feather of IPANEMA CAFE on West Grace Street and GARNETTE's at Park Avenue and Meadow Streets will be opening an as-yet un-named restaurant at the old Que Pasa site in Church Hill at 25th and M Streets.

Karri passes along a rumor of a new up-scale restaurant proposed for a site near ETTAMAE's and The Hippodrome Theatre on North 2nd Street. I suspect the reference is to The Speakeasy under construction in the Taylor Mansion which is part of THE HIPP complex scheduled to open in the spring of 2011. http://thehippblog.b...ything-new.html

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The uptown version of CAFE OLE in the old Ben & Jerry's in Carytown may open this weekend.

Edited by burt

Contributor jbjust has confirmed that a locally owned bakery/cafe called LA PARISIENNE will be a new tenant in the Williams Mullen tower at 10th and Canal Streets in downtown Richmond.

LA PARISIENNE will occupy 2,350 square feet on the street level of the new 16-story building. Construction of the cafe is expexcted to begin soon with an opening near the end of the first quarter of 2011.

Edited by burt

Mekong is the place to go for beer (aside from Capital Ale House) as they always have an extensive revolving collection. The food is certainly good, but as you pointed out, there are better.

Icetera and JSI: Do either of you recall INDOCHINE in Carytown? It closed a few years ago, but I believe it was the only Vietnamese restaurant in Richmond that combined south Asian and French influenced cuisine. I remember having a delicious meal there.

Edited by burt

Icetera and JSI: Do either of you recall INDOCHINE in Carytown? It closed a few years ago, but I believe it was the only Vietnamese restaurant in Richmond that combined south Asian and French influenced cuisine. I remember having a delicious meal there.

I only went there once, but I recall it being rather good. Do you recall the name of the Italian restaurant that had been around that area about 10-15 years ago? I remember going there and watching them drop food out of the oven on to the floor and still serve it, so it is of no surprise that they did not last.

Sorry Burt, that name sounds familiar but I never went. Since I live the Fan it would be great to have some closer authentic Vietnamese options. Seriously, there's like 5 Thai options within a short driving distance (can we convert one of those restaurants??). The wife has been to Friend or Pho for Pho and she said it was actually pretty good although I don't think they have the menu of a full-blown Vietnamese restaurant.

The Nelson couple, Jon and Leah, have done Richmond dot com and its audience a huge favor by reviewing ZEUS GALLERY CAFE.

This is a neighborhood bistro that attracted a huge following after its opening in The Museum District a number of years ago. In fact, demand for tables grew to a point where expansion to a next-door building became necessary.

Jenna Bush dined there several times (with Secret Service hovering) when she would come to visit her future husband's Richmond family.

ZEUS GALLERY CAFE has sort of fallen off the publicity wagon, but local cognoscente still jam the restaurant when they want cullinary excellence.

http://www2.richmond.com/entertainment/2010/nov/18/zeus-gallery-cafe-restaurant-review-ar-662519/

ZEUS GALLERY CAFE

The Nelsons' rating: Three-and-a-half Stars

201 North Belmont Street (between Hanover and Grove Avenues in The Museum District)

Noise level: Average to High

804/359-3219

Director Steven Spielberg was spotted recently dining at MILLIE'S in Tobacco Row on East Main Street with representatives of the Virginia Film Office. Spielberg is planning a film about Abraham Lincoln who visited Richmond after the Civil War.

I wonder if the film office pointed out the huge sculpture of the American Indian called Connecticut on the roof of the building directly behind MILLIE's? From his high perch, Connecticut peers down The James River by which Lincoln arrived in Richmond.:)

Director Steven Spielberg was spotted recently dining at MILLIE'S in Tobacco Row on East Main Street with representatives of the Virginia Film Office. Spielberg is planning a film about Abraham Lincoln who visited Richmond after the Civil War.

I wonder if the film office pointed out the huge sculpture of the American Indian called Connecticut on the roof of the building directly behind MILLIE's? From his high perch, Connecticut peers down The James River by which Lincoln arrived in Richmond.:)

Daniel Day-Lewis will star in DreamWork Studio's LINCOLN which will be directed by Steven Spielberg. The film is based on Doris Kearn Goodwin's book "Team of Rivals."

The award-winning TV mega series about John Adams was filmed in Richmond. It was produced by actor Tom Hanks. An exterior set depicting a Colonial New England street was built (and remains) at a location in suburban Richmond near Pole Green Road and I-295. Interiors were shot in a huge warehouse converted to a movie studio nearby in the Mechanicsville area.

There is no assurance that LINCOLN, or even parts thereof, will film here but Spielberg's presence in the city indicates, at minimum, interest in the region. It is to begin production next year for release in 2012.

Edited by burt

John Murden has posted this video from Channel 12 about Thanksgiving dinner at BOUCHON in Shockoe Slip.

M. Devilliers, owner and Executive chef at BOUCHON , is unquestionably French born and reared, but he and his wife operated a restaurant on the Carribbean island of Trinidad before arriving in Richmond.

It's a charming, atmospheric bistro with delicious French menu offerings. Last Christmas season when I was in Richmond they were offering a 3-course meal before 6:PM for about $25 per person.

And it has a very convivial bar. :alc:

Enlarge the video for better viewing.

From River District News:

http://riverdistrict...n-thanksgiving/

BOUCHON

1209 East Cary Street -- in Shockoe Slip

804/225-9116

Edited by burt

If you are among the thousands planning to see the Irving Berlin musical WHITE CHRISTMAS, which runs until January 9th at Richmond's Empire Theatre, the theatre company has posted the names and pertinent data about nearby restaurants.

Scroll down to the bottom of the website, but be aware that one of the restaurants mentioned is no longer in business. CROAKER'S SPOT at 2nd and Leigh Streets closed about a year ago and has reopened across the river on Hull Street.

While WHITE CHRITMAS is fairly schmaltzy as a story, it is definitely a "feel good" theatre experience from all reports. An excellent professional cast, fine direction and choreography, wonderful singing and an all round elaborate scenic production are sending patrons out of the theatre in a very jovial and seasonal spirit...especially after experiencing a veritable blizzard from snow machines sprinkling the entire theatre at the finale. (Don't worry, the fake snow is not wet. I think it's been used seasonally at Stoney Point Fashion Park.)

PS: Former WHITE DOG patrons will be pleased to hear that ex-restaurateur Barry Pruitt is getting excellent notices on his return to showbiz. He plays General Weatherby in WHITE CHRISTMAS :good:

http://www.theatreiv...tml#restaurants

By the way, did you know that The Empire built in 1911 is the oldest theatre still in use in Virginia?

NOTE: The correct website for BISTRO TWENTY-SEVEN is: http://www.bistrotwentyseven.com/

Another excellent dinner option (on Fridays and Saturdays only) is CHEZ FUSHEE at the corner of West Grace and Adams Streets. It is 3 blocks from The Empire Theatre and here is its website: www.chezfoushee.com/ It's a beautiful place with an excellent menu, but I would recommend phoning ahead to double check its hours of operation and to make reservations. 804/648-3225

Edited by burt