Richmond Dining-Out scene

burt

Lou Llovio reports in his RTD Biz Buzz column that OUTER BANKS SEAFOOD CO. which broke off negotiations for the vacant Uncle Julio's Rio Grande space at Stony Point Fashion Park, may announce a new Richmond location. Real Estate sources tell Lou that OUTER BANKS SEAFOOD CO. is showing significant interest in the former Bottega Bistro in The Shoppes at Belgrade next door to RUTH'S CHRIS STEAK HOUSE.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And, says Lou, look for STUZZI to move into the former 1 North Belmont near Carytown. STUZZI, which specializes in Neapolitan pizza, hopes to be in business by mid-March. Partners in the vernture are Peter Caserta, who was involved with both of Richmond's Pasta Lunas, and Giuseppe Scafidi, an original owner of AZZURRO in River Road Shopping Center.

In addition to pizza, STUZZI's menu will offer pastas and 20 antipasto dishes.

PS: I think I'm correct in saying that the Scafidi family operated a restaurant called AZZURRO on New York's Upper East Side and expanded to Richmond. Both restaurants operated concurrently until the New York cafe closed. I never had a meal at the New York restaurant but always enjoyed occasional dining at AZZURRO when visiting Richmond. It was (and I hope still is) a class operation at the fork of Cary Street Road and River Road near the U of R campus and The Country Club of Virginia.

Edited by burt

I think DON PEPE is the place our friend wrldcoupe4 often touted as one of his favorite Southside Mexican restaurants.

Thanks to the relocation of Dana Craig's parents to the neighborhood and countless e-mails, the RTD's critic is taking note.

http://www2.timesdis...-190009/317365/

DON PEPE

Rating: Three stars by the RTD's Dana Craig

10902 Hull Street Road

804/276-1154

Noise Level: Average

Dana's review includes a quickie slideshow to a Latin beat

Tab for two: $28

Edited by burt

It's rumored that VELVET in The Bottom may be getting some competition. 3RD STREET DINER which has been dishing up vittles 24 hours a day at the corner of 3rd and Main Streets is said to be remodeling its second floor as a possible site for adult entertainment.

Or (gulp!) coud it be both places are owned by the same individual?

Edited by burt

One of Carytown's best restaurants, IMO, was The Track across the road from The Byrd Theatre. After about four decades, the intrepid owner closed up shop and drifted off to retirement.

Now, the property is known as BONVENU, the Esperanto word for "Welcome" and Karri Peifer has provided us with a word picture and slide show in her Richmond dot com column.

http://social.richmond.com/blog/kpeifer/2010/01/dish-checking-out-bonvenu/

I hope I don't get in trouble for raiding other sites, but I've found a delightful blog by a certain lady of Jackson Ward...and I'm in luuuuv!

Her name is Karen and she's got Betty Grable legs plus brains.

Who woulda thought Richmond's restaurant/club scene could have such an erudite and fun devotee?

Karen's insightfull, campy and beautifully put together prose might not be everyone's dish of tea, but she sure rings this old man's bell. laugh.gif

Read the highlighted January, 2010 archives on her blog and learn how exciting night life can be in Richmond.

http://icouldgoonand...aive-pshaw.html

Edited by burt

HOLA! (Or whatever the Portuguese is for that attention-getting South of the Border word.)

Joe Cates of Style Weekly gives a definitive thumbs-up to DORA'S BRAZILIAN GRILL at 14th and East Cary Streets in Shockoe Slip.

Here is his rave review:

http://www.styleweekly.com/ME2/Audiences/dirmod.asp?sid=&nm=&type=Publishing&mod=Publications%3A%3AArticle&mid=8F3A7027421841978F18BE895F87F791&tier=4&id=265E8A5A51F34CBEAC98DD305DE6EAEB&AudID=B41896E73131487DA9D3430288834D1D

CITY DOGS opened to much success in Shockoe Slip a couple of years ago and has now expanded into The Fan.

Its nifty digs at 1309 West Main Street in the colorful area known as Uptown doesn't please Dana Craig's taste palate as much as the mother operation in The Slip, but she likes the ambiance and vibe, awarding the place two and a half stars.

Here's her review from today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdis...-183206/318885/

CITY DOGS IN THE FAN

1309 West Main Street

Two-and-a-half stars from Dana Craig of the RTD

804/359-3647

Noise level: Average to high

Tab for two: $23

This is another before and/or after dining option for those attending drama, music and dance concerts at VCU's Singleton Center and Grace Street Theatre, sports at Siegel Center and shows at The Landmark Theatre. All these enertainment venues in the Lower Fan are within a five-to-six-block walk. CITY DOGS IN THE FAN is open 'til 2am.

Edited by burt

Remember Jimmy Snead who brought nationwide attention to Richmond with his THE FROG AND THE REDNECK restaurant in The Slip a decade or so ago? Although the FROG is no more, Melissa Ruggieri reports in today's Table Talk column in the RTD that Mr. Snead is a consultant for the BOATHOUSE restaurants at Rocketts Landing and Brandermill.

Checkout the website:

http://www.boathouserichmond.com

Word is that F. W. SULLIVAN's which took over Easy Street at 2401 West Main Street in the Fan is temporarily shuttered while applying for a liquor license. Change of ownership of the bar/club apparently required reapplication to the ABC board. Reopening is expected soon.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I recently checked out one of the polls that Ricmond dot com frequently runs and discovered that their readers' favorite romantic restaurant is THE WHITE DOG at Stafford and Main Streets in The Fan. I added my vote. thumbsup.gif

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Will Gary York find a new location for his intimate ENOTECA SOGNO which was unable to renew its lease at 2043 West Broad Street just east of the new and insanely popular REPUBLIC? The wine bar with its limited Italian menu is missed by a number of insiders who found the trattoria unique and charming. Meanwhile, Mr. York concentrates on his seafood restaurant called COAST on Grove near Libbie near The Westhampton Theatre.

Edited by burt

The place that used to be known as European Market Bistro in The Fan on Main Street just west of Meadow Street is now called OLIO.

I always thought it was a place for occasional snacking in a sort of Continental wine, cheese, deli and grocery shop, but apparently, more substantial meals are available.

OLIO, at 2001 & 1/2 West Main Street is almost directly across the street from BACCHUS.

Karri Peifer at Richmond dot com says they offer special First Friday four-course wine dinners for $25 to $30 per person.

Open for lunch and dinner Mondays through Fridays.

Call OLIO at 804/355-5182 for more information.

Edited by burt

Melissa Rugierri has no "Table Talk" column in today's Times Dispatch.

But she does have a story about a participant in a raunchy MTV* series called "Jersey Shore" who is scheduled to make an appearance next Tuesday, February 2nd at TIKI BOB's CANTINA in Shockoe Bottom.

Cast members of this "reality" show have been known to bring out fans by the thousands when appearing in clubs.

If you want to go, you'd better line up early. Doors open at 6PM and it's first-in-line, first inside. For details, check http://www.tikirichmond.com.

The club is at 110 North 18th Street in Shockoe Bottom, tel. 804/644-9091.

*Note: I mistakenly reported Jersey Shores as an HBO series. I'm glad dbull75 corrected me (see postings below.)

Edited by burt

The RTD's critic, Dana Craig, has been to THE REPUBLIC frequently since the restaurant/bar launched itself a couple of months ago in a building formerly occupied by Cabo's Corner.

The property has undergone sleek renovation and has two bars -- one smokeless, the other smoker friendly.

Food offerings lean heavily to "small plates", but more filling entrees are also on the menu.

Here's Dana's three-and-a-half star review which includes a very nice slideshow:

http://www2.timesdis...-194006/320525/

THE REPUBLIC

3 and 1/2 stars from Dana Craig

2053 West Broad Street (practically across the street from DMV Headquarters)

804/592-4444

http://www.therepublicrva.com

Open daily from 10:30AM 'til 2:00AM

Noise Level: High

Separate smoking and non-smoking sections

Tab for two: $44.

Edited by burt

Melissa Rugierri has no "Table Talk" column in today's Times Dispatch.

But she does have a story about a participant in a raunchy HBO series called "Jersey Shore" who is scheduled to make an appearance next Tuesday, February 2nd at TIKI BOB's CANTINA in Shockoe Bottom.

Cast members of this "reality" show have been known to bring out fans by the thousands when appearing in clubs.

If you want to go, you'd better line up early. Doors open at 6PM and it's first-in-line, first inside. For details, check http://www.tikirichmond.com.

The club is at 110 North 18th Street in Shockoe Bottom, tel. 804/644-9091.

LOL... well, normally I wouldn't want to correct you Burt, but this is actually an MTV reality show :) Believe me, if you watch 5 minutes of it (which is about all I could handle courtesy of my wife) you'll realize it couldn't qualify for any other tv station besides MTV. HBO wouldn't touch it. Makes me hesitant to say I am originally from New Jersey, LOL...

LOL... well, normally I wouldn't want to correct you Burt, but this is actually an MTV reality show smile.gif Believe me, if you watch 5 minutes of it (which is about all I could handle courtesy of my wife) you'll realize it couldn't qualify for any other tv station besides MTV. HBO wouldn't touch it. Makes me hesitant to say I am originally from New Jersey, LOL...

Hahaha. Thanks for the correction, dbull; and my apologies to HBO and to Melissa Ruggieri who did "credit" MTV and not HBO for the reality show.

I started to bring it over here but a reader has posted a link to a really raunchy Jersey Shore song in the comments section under Melissa's story. I feared UP's moderators would reprimand me. In fact, I'm surprised the Times Dispatch didn't edit out the comment.whistling.gif

I bet a quarter that had the owners of PALERMO known Dana Craig was coming to dinner they would have seated her party at a prime table.

Although the new home-grown Italian restaurant in Westchester Commons is described as elegant and beautifully appointed, there's a section near the flourescent-lighted Pizza kitchen that doesn't fall in that category. That's where the Richmond Times Dispatch critic's party was served on a recent visit.

And it's one of the reasons the Scilian style restaurant earned only two-and-a-half stars.

PALERMO

15717 City View Drive in Westchester Commons

Rating: 2 1/2 stars

804/378-7643

Noise level: Average

Tab for two: $48

Here's Dana's review:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/entertainment/dining/article/W-DINE0204_20100203-191404/321988/

Edited by burt

A few observations:

Boy oh boy! ABC laws sure are relaxing. There was a time not long ago when certain words such as "bar" were verboten.

Recently, a major watering hole on the Haxall Canal started calling itself Black Finn SALOON (my emphasis.) What is conservative Virginia coming to!shades.gif

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The much anticipated URBAN FARMHOUSE restaurant opened yesterday. It is located in what I believe is called the Columbian block in Shockoe Slip at the southwest corner of East Cary Street and Shockoe Plaza (13th Street.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CINEBISTRO is under construction at the former Copeland's restaurant at Stony Point Fashion Park. Copeland's is being demolished and a new structure will house the dinner movie theatre.

http://www.cobbcinebistro.com/

For out-of-towners not familiar with areas of Richmond, Stony Point Fashion Park is just south of The Willey Bridge which connects Parham Road in Henrico County on the north bank of The James and Chippenham Pkwy in the city of Richmond on the south bank of the James. SPFP is visible from and just off of Chippenham Pkwy.

Our friends in Hampton Roads may be pleased to note that the City of Hampton is also getting a Cinebistro. Click "locations" on the website.

Edited by burt

This technically flawed video has audio problems. Anyway, it's about The Richmond Marriott's new chef named Clark Wade who has had French culinary training.

But it doesn't appear that the menu at T MILLERS SPORTS BAR is moving away from plastic baskets of chicken tenders, fries and the like. However, they may taste a lot better under Chef Wade supervision.

From today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/business/local/article/hypetube_a_french_classical_chef_with_southern_flair/322628/

John Haddad of Style Weekly takes another look at and taste of REPUBLIC at Allison and West Broad Streets:

The new hip restaurant/bar is on the south side of West Broad about half way between Meadow Street and The Science Museum of Virginia (formerly Broad Street Station.) The Division of Motor Vehicles mini-tower is another nearby landmark.

http://styleweekly.com/ME2/Audiences/dirmod.asp?sid=&nm=&type=Publishing&mod=Publications%3A%3AArticle&mid=8F3A7027421841978F18BE895F87F791&tier=4&id=E923D1F872E44267BAA55CAC32237718&AudID=B41896E73131487DA9D3430288834D1D