Richmond Dining-Out scene

burt

Lots of new ABC licenses in the works... Richmond Biz Sense

The Border at 1501 W. Main St. closed about a month ago and is being redone by some of the owners of Mezzanine in Carytown. According to the ABC application, the establishment will be called Bellytimber Tavern. Richmond Magazine has more details on the makeover here.

Richmond Magazine also has the skinny on McCormack’s Whiskey Grill & Smokehouse, which is taking over the old Sushi Ninja spot at 204 N. Robinson Street.

Here are few more restaurants in the works based on information pulled from the ABC website:

Aroma Café, a delicatessen, is coming to 191 Town Center West Boulevard in Short Pump.

River Water restaurant is coming to 4821 Old Main Street in Rockett’s Landing.

Green Basil is coming to 516 N. Second St. in Jackson Ward.

Buhos Video Sports Bar & Lounge is coming to 1500 E. Ridge Road in Henrico.

Legendz Latin Soul Restaurant & Lounge is coming to 1814 E. Main St. in Shockoe Bottom.

The Grill is coming to 5724 Patterson Avenue in the West End, where Freckles restaurant used to be.

Outer Banks Seafood Company is coming to 9200 Stony Point Parkway, at the Stony Point Fashion Park.

Kenn-Tico Cuban Bar and Grill is coming to 204 E. Grace St. downtown.

Bonvenu Restaurant is coming to 2915 W. Cary St., taking over the former Track restaurant. (Read more at Style Weekly here)

Pescados is coming to 621 China Street in Oregon Hill.

Lots of new ABC licenses in the works... Richmond Biz Sense

The Border at 1501 W. Main St. closed about a month ago and is being redone by some of the owners of Mezzanine in Carytown. According to the ABC application, the establishment will be called Bellytimber Tavern. Richmond Magazine has more details on the makeover here.

Richmond Magazine also has the skinny on McCormack’s Whiskey Grill & Smokehouse, which is taking over the old Sushi Ninja spot at 204 N. Robinson Street.

Here are few more restaurants in the works based on information pulled from the ABC website:

Aroma Café, a delicatessen, is coming to 191 Town Center West Boulevard in Short Pump.

River Water restaurant is coming to 4821 Old Main Street in Rockett’s Landing.

Green Basil is coming to 516 N. Second St. in Jackson Ward.

Buhos Video Sports Bar & Lounge is coming to 1500 E. Ridge Road in Henrico.

Legendz Latin Soul Restaurant & Lounge is coming to 1814 E. Main St. in Shockoe Bottom.

The Grill is coming to 5724 Patterson Avenue in the West End, where Freckles restaurant used to be.

Outer Banks Seafood Company is coming to 9200 Stony Point Parkway, at the Stony Point Fashion Park.

Kenn-Tico Cuban Bar and Grill is coming to 204 E. Grace St. downtown.

Bonvenu Restaurant is coming to 2915 W. Cary St., taking over the former Track restaurant. (Read more at Style Weekly here)

Pescados is coming to 621 China Street in Oregon Hill.

Haha! The ABC Board is moving into the 21st Century, or maybe moving out altogether if the new governor gets his way and abolishes the agency.

Until very recently, ABC forbade the use of words like "whiskey" (or "whisky" if the reference is Scotch); "Tavern"; "Bar", and "belly" although I think the word "lounge" has always been allowed.

A surprising applicant not on your list, jb, is SAKURA SUSHI AND STEAK, a hibachi Japanese restaurant at 711 North Lombardy Street. It will be taking over the defunct Movie Gallery space near Starbucks and Kroger Supermarket at Broad and Lombardy. They also have a fairly up-scale outlet at 9008 West Broad. It will be a new dining option on the western fringe of VCU and southern fringe of VUU.

Could RIVER WATER be a third restaurant at Rocketts Landing?

PESCADOS in Oregon Hill has been a long time coming!

Edited by burt

"Ordering certain Indian dishes mild is like ordering macaroni and cheese without the cheese." So writes Dana Craig about TANDOORI TIKKA AND KEBAB.

Dana was quite pleased with the restaurant and awarded it 3 stars in today's RTD.

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/entertainment/dining/article/W-DINE03_20091202-192807/309114/

TANDOORI TIKKA AND KEBAB

3 stars from Dana Craig in today's RTD

11400 West Huguenot Road

804/379-5694

Many vegetarian offerings

Smoke-free

Noise level: Average

Tab for two: $47

Melissa Ruggieri offers these tidbits in her Table Talk colum today in the RTD:

Owner Gary York is closing down his ENOTECA SOGNO at 2043 West Broad Street. Negotiations to extend the lease could not be agreed upon and York hopes to find another location soon.

It has been reported elsewhere that the almost next-door REPUBLIC bar and restaurant plans an extention into ENOTECA SOGNO for a catering kitchen.

I hope Mr. York finds a mid-town or downtown spot for his wine bar with simple Italian fare and does not flee to the suburbs where he operates COAST in Westhampton on Grove Avenue.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CITY DOGS at 1309 West Main, Street Uptown in The Fan, now has a full bar like the original in The Slip. It keeps late hours -- until 2am weekdays and 3am at weekends. With it's $1 Richmond dogs, it should be a major attraction for the nearby VCU crowd.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SHULA'S STEAK HOUSE opens tomorrow in The Hilton Hotel and Conference Center at 11900 West Broad Street in Town Center West. This will be the 17th mid-to-upscale Shula's nationwide.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's Melissa's full story:

http://www2.timesdis...-192807/309122/

Edited by burt

A Church Hill dining spot that started off about 2 years ago with much promise has declined to the point of permanent closure. QUE PASA in the quaint five points building at M and 25th Streets had recently reduced service to three nights weekly before finally throwing in the towel. More and more customers complained about food, service and poor management. Often menu items were not available, and those which were arrived on plastic plates according to comments at Church Hill Peoples News.

It's a charming building that hopefully will not remain empty.

John Haddad of Style Weekly crows about the desserts at AURORA.

AURORA is in a former bank building at the southeast corner of 4th and Grace Streets. In its post banking hayday, the property was a night club like no other in Virginia called Caffein's. Young people of all persuasions frequented the lively spot until the local NARCS dropped by and shut it down.

I think, but am not sure, that AURORA, the present tenant, operates the two-level venue as a sedate luncheon and dining option on weekdays and then opens it for dancing and more lively activities late on weekend nights.

Anyway, according to this article by John Haddad, the sweets turned out by the desserts chef are memorable.

From the current Style Weekly:

http://styleweekly.c...9D3430288834D1D

Edited by burt

The RTD's Dana Craig was generally underwhelmed with food and especially service at AZTEK GRILL on the corner of 18th and East Main Streets in Shockoe Bottom. She awarded it 2 stars. The spot has been vacant for a number of months. At one time it housed a bar called Castle Thunder that reeked with the smell of beer.

Dana says the property has undergone some upgrades and is attractive and comfortable. The Mexican fare is a tad more adventurous than your usual tacos and salsa. Trouble is all preparations are not as good as promised and the server was not particularly hospitable nor knowledgable.

Dana's kindest words are in response to a former Castle Thunder habituee:

"No beer smell, thank goodness. You should check it out. The renovation is not only impressive but great for cleaning up Shockoe Bottom's often frowned-upon reputation."

AZTEK GRILL

Dana's rating: 2 stars

1726 East main Street

804/225-7208

Noise level: Average during Dana's visit when there were only three tables occupied. But I bet a quarter the din increases on weekend nights.

Tab for two: $32

AZIZA at 2110 East main Street has evolved from Lebanese style daily lunch offerings to a more generalized mid-eastern dinner menu two nights a week and Sunday brunch.

Joe Cates of Style Weekly likes it but wishes it offered greater frequency of service. And it just may in the new year when a pizza oven is installed.

AZIZA is tucked in between Globe Hopper on the corner of 21st and East Main Streets and Honey Whyte's down home restaurant/bar practically next door.

Here are Joe's comments from the current Style Weekly:

http://styleweekly.com/ME2/Audiences/dirmod.asp?sid=&nm=&type=Publishing&mod=Publications%3A%3AArticle&mid=8F3A7027421841978F18BE895F87F791&tier=4&id=6CB8235BF87848199FE05DC9BC234DCA&AudID=B41896E73131487DA9D3430288834D1D .

The RTD's critic, Dana Craig visited INFUZION which formerly was home to the only Ice Bar on the East Coast before the dance club/jazz room and multiple bars expired some time ago.

Odd thing is that the name has been retained although its hokey ice room is no more. I wonder if it swings on weekends, because Dana and friend were the lone diners on a recent weeknight? Another oddity is that the food is good, according to Dana and probably would have earned another half star had ambiant service been a tad more professional.

From today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/entertainment/dining/article/W-DINE17_20091216-181409/311930/

INFUZION

1401 Roseneath Road (in Scotts Addition a couple of blocks north of West Broad Street.)

Dana's rating: Two and a half stars

804/447-6852

Noise: Average, other than a nearby TV and idle chattering servers

Tab for two: $70

• 2 weeks later...

Dana Craig, the RTD's dining-out critic, has compiled her list of best restaurants to open during 2009 in the Richmond market. I notice that BALLICEAUX in The Fan is not among them:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/entertainment/dining/article/W-BEST241_20091223-171204/313207/

A reader agrees and posts her comment beneath Dana's evaluations, then rips into THE TOBACCO COMPANY. Seems to me some locals have an unreasonable hate-on for the locally owned institution at 12th and East Cary Street. I, for one, like it. When dining at THE TOBACCO COMPANY I've always had a good time and been impressed by the building's 3-story ambiance, the good looking and professional wait staff as well as decent, albeit not 3-star food offerings. The DINING ROOM AT THE BERKELEY across the street is far superior, but Jerry Cable and partners have done the city and particularly Shockoe Slip a great service by operating THE TOBACCO COMPANY for almost four decades. It's known across the Country and attracts many tourists.

Didn't get out much on my recent Richmond visit but enjoyed two of Richmond's newest restaurants. Between shows at downtown performing arts venues on Wednesday, December 23rd we had early dinner at BOUCHON in the old Pommegranate space in Shockoe Slip. The very French restaurant offers $20 prix fixe appetizer, entree and dessert dinners between 5PM and 6PM. Several of the party ordered a sort of beef stew with mac and cheese in the center of the plate. Sounds peculiar, but everyone raved about it. Another ordered salmon while I had a good steak with bordeaulaise sauce and pomme frites.

The bill for five of us at BOUCHON was $148.86 including tax and tip (my steak was not on the prix fixe offering.)

Saturday night, 10 of us went to a packed and jammed BOATHOUSE AT ROCKETTS LANDING. Our reservation was at 8PM. It's a spectacular room seating I would guess 200 (at least 50 were bellied up to the big bar.) Our table was near the open-air patio with incredible views of Richmond's Christmas-lit skyline and the James River. After a couple of dry Manhattans, considerable wine and much jolly conversation I enjoyed a pound-and-a-half lobster with a couple of sides, but the only one I recall was a mound of incredibly delicious mashed potatoes. Oh, yes! One of our party ordered two seafood "towers" to whet our appetites. A thoroughly enjoyable evening, and thank God there were a few designated drivers!

I paid for three of us at THE BOATHOUSE and my share of the total bill was $179.00 including tax and tip, but did not include cocktails at the bar.

Edited by burt

Although one seldom reads about it, apparently BLACKFINN'S bar, lounge and restaurant is still flourishing at Riverside on the James. It's operation at Waterside in Norfolk closed some months ago, but its somewhat obscure location near Shockoe Slip in Richmond rolls on.

http://www.blackfinnrichmond.com/locations.php

Wonder what if anything is in the future for the huge power plant across the patio from BLACKFINN's?

There will be no official celebration tonight in Carytown, but nonetheless rumor has it that at midnight the ball will drop (or is it rise?) atop the Byrd Theatre.

Meanwhile, bars, restaurants and hotels in Richmond are preparing for record crowds.

From today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/business/local_other/article/B-NEWY31_20091230-213204/314515/

HAPPY NEW YEAR to all Urban Planet readers! I'll be spending the evening at a party on the 39th floor of my apartment building a few blocks from Times Square.

Although one seldom reads about it, apparently BLACKFINN'S bar, lounge and restaurant is still flourishing at Riverside on the James. It's operation at Waterside in Norfolk closed some months ago, but its somewhat obscure location near Shockoe Slip in Richmond rolls on.

They couldn't sell any food in Norfolk. Jillian's (Dave and Busters) is now talking about leaving the Waterside complex for a location in Greenbrier. The city closed down BAR Norfolk and Have a Nice Day Cafe a few months back. I hope the few remaining restaurants make a statement to the city and move as well. The place needs to be sold to a private developer, the city has no business or ability in running an entertainment/retail facility.

They couldn't sell any food in Norfolk. Jillian's (Dave and Busters) is now talking about leaving the Waterside complex for a location in Greenbrier. The city closed down BAR Norfolk and Have a Nice Day Cafe a few months back. I hope the few remaining restaurants make a statement to the city and move as well. The place needs to be sold to a private developer, the city has no business or ability in running an entertainment/retail facility.

Mikeas, it is very sad to read of Waterside's decline. In the early 1980's Rouse's blueprint for the complex based on his Baltimore project seemed like an ideal situation for Norfolk's waterfront. I recall PHILLIP'S SEAFOOD RESTAURANT with the rinkydink piano, roving musicians, neat shops and kiosks on both levels as well as several dining options. Crowds of visitors and shoppers were large. The open-air water-side plaza with its umbrella-topped tables was very inviting. The complex welcomed families as well as adults seeking amusement, good food and fun.

A couple of years ago on my last visit to Norfolk it had changed drastically. While BLACK FINN's on the ground level looked nice, the adjacent food court, JILLIAN'S, BAR NORFOLK, HAVE A NICE DAY CAFE and rest room facilities were considerably less appealing.

Waterside is far too valuable a site to be abandoned, especially with rejuvenation of Town Point Park. Perhaps the individual recently hired by the city to enliven retail and residential in downtown Norfolk has some answers.

My 2 cents: How about a popular restaurant chain like Maggiano's Little Italy, and music venues like B.B. Kings, Hard Rock Cafe, Dave and Buster's mixed in with less expensive local seafood, soul and ethnic dining options? Area-based shops such as those in Carytown possibly could extend from Waterside through existing arcades to MacArthur's high end stores and Light Rail.

The RTD's critic, Dana Craig, likes the little nook known these days as GARNETTS CAFE. She rates the little spot at the corner of Park Avenue and Meadow Street in The Fan with three and a half stars.

For years Frank Chiocca ran a sandwich shop at the location. Upon his retirement, it was called Table 9. Now, the owner of IPENEMA on Grace Street near VCU holds sway.

Here's Dana's review:

http://www2.timesdis...-190408/314488/

GARNETTS CAFE

Dana's rating: 3 1/2 stars

2001 Park Avenue

804/367-7909

Tab for two: $35

In size and shape it reminds me of a spot on NY's West 46th Street called The Hourglass which serves full meals. I think they have discontinued the practice, but until recent years an hourglass was placed on your table and when the last grain of sand had dropped, you were invited (good naturedly) to leave.

Edited by burt

Richmond dot com reports that the city's premier French restaurant 1 NORTH BELMONT closed on New Year's day. However, when I called a moment ago to verify, the voice mail (804/358-0050) advised that they were on vacation until January 18th.

What's what? Seems to me I read in the RTD just before the holiday that it was among a number of restaurants planning a New Year's Eve celebration.

It is (or was) on top of the list for many Richmond gourmands.

Clarification, anyone?

Well, Karri Peifer hit the nail on the head when she reported at Richmond dot com about the closing of 1 NORTH BELMONT.

Here's Lou Llovio confirming the story about 1 NORTH BELMONT as well as BOTTEGA BISTRO which is a property of, and next door to, Ruth's Chris at Belgrade.

From today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdis...-213003/315360/

Another bit of sad, tho possibly heartening news, from Karri is that VERBENA closed January 1st. The location at Floyd and Robinson Streets is under heavy consideration by the owners of JULEP's as a Fan District expansion.

JULEP's occupies the oldest commercial building in Richmond at 18th and Franklin Streets in Shockoe Bottom and as of this writing there is no hint of the restaurant abandoning the site in favor of the West End.

This Deveron Timberlake interview of Frits Huntjens, owner and chef of 1 NORTH BELMONT, is heartbreaking.

http://www.styleweekly.com/ME2/Audiences/Default.asp?AudID=B41896E73131487DA9D3430288834D1D

Edited by burt

Tom Sietsema writing for the Washington Post evaluates the Richmond dining-out scene on a weekend trip and generally gives it high marks.

He has an especial fondness for CAN CAN, ACACIA and MEZZANINE.

A spot that ranked lower on his list was BUZ AND NED'S BARBECUE at 200 West Marshall Street???? Isn't that the old firehouse known as Gallery 5? I thought its only location was on The Boulevard.dontknow.gif

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/12/24/AR2009122401976.html

Here's another good write up from the Washington Post:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/12/24/AR2009122401979.html?sid=ST2009122600890

"It took some Washington-based Richmond sherpas to show me the city's uniqueness. Now, I find myself a frequent traveler down the Interstate 95 corridor for day trips that include food shopping at locally owned specialty stores and lunch at beloved diners and dives.

Richmond is a vibrant little city in transition. Once maligned for a homicide rate that was among the highest in the nation, it is in the midst of a cultural rebirth. Lower crime rates and redevelopment plans have enticed retail businesses to invest in neighborhoods such as Carytown -- an art-deco-influenced shopping district populated with restaurants, funky shops, boutiques, coffeehouses and bars -- and the Fan district, named for the shape of the streets radiating between Belvidere Street and the Boulevard. Even once-blighted downtown areas are seeing signs of revival, as buildings sprout to accommodate employees at the Philip Morris headquarters, city workers, lawyers and students from Virginia Commonwealth University."

While major chain operations are hanging on, many locally owned restaurants are hurting. More than 30 have folded since January 2009.

What is not mentioned in this RTD story is that Metro Richmond has suffered the most severe loss of jobs in the state -- more than 20,000 by some counts. A large percentage of those jobs were high-pay positions. The shutdowns of big companies and elimination of government positions has taken a lot of disposable income off the market. It's a nationwide situation but Richmond may have been affected more than many.

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/business/local/article/REST06_20100105-221409/315598/

HOLD ON, folks!!! Maybe "gloom and doom" is "born and boom" in the local restaurant world if Deveron's Style Weekly list compilation pans out.

t

Here are 12 newbies and two no-no's:

1. BASILI's GREEK RESTAURANT AND CARRYOUT at 3107 W. Cary.

2. BELLYTIMBER at 1501 West Main.

3. BONVENUE at 2915 W. Cary.

4. EMPRESS at 2043 W. Broad.

5. GRILL at Patterson and Libby.

6. McCORMACK's WHISKEY GRILL AND SMOKEHOUSE at 204 N. Robinson.

7. PARKSIDE CAFE at 3514 Forest Hill Ave.

8. PIE (believe it or not!) at Grace and 6th.

9. SAKURA SUSHI AND STEAK at 711 N. Lombardy.

10. SECCO at 2931 W. Cary.

11. SPRUT MARKET AND CAFE at 1 N. Morris.

12. URBAN FARMHOUSE at 1217 E. Cary

No-no's:

1. CURRANT at Rocketts Landing. (This was to have been a relocated and renamed Zuppa.) Bankrupt.

2. OUTER BANKS SEAFOOD COMPANY at Stony Point Fashion Park. But they're looking elsewhere.

I've listed these alphabetically, but read Deveron Timberlake's column for details.

http://styleweekly.c...9D3430288834D1D

Edited by burt

Very sad to hear about Outer Banks Seafood. Stony Point needs something to bring more traffic. Any more news on the rumored theater?

I've heard no more about the proposed cinema-cafe at the former Copeland's in Stony Point Fashion Park. But the Locations tab on their website has Richmond down as a new location in 2010. http://www.cobbcinebistro.com/

Even though a lease arrangement could not be worked out between Taubman and OUTER BANKS SEAFOOD, Deveron Timberlake reported the North Carolina company is possibly looking elsewhere for a location in Greater Richmond.

Edited by burt

Star chefs come and go, sometimes taking reputation (and business) with them.

No so in the case of SIX BURNER RESTAURANT in The Fan. Ownwers Ry and Beth Marchant snagged a winning replacement in Chef Philip Denny several months ago.

Dana Craig who has held down the restaurant critic position at The Times Dispatch longer than any of her predecessors awarded the popular dining spot four stars in today's review accompanied by a neat slideshow.

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/entertainment/dining/article/W-DINE07_20100106-181407/315814/

SIX BURNER RESTAURANT

1627 West main Street

Dana's rating: Four Stars

804/353-4060

http://www.sixburner.net

Tap for two: $73

SIX BURNER owners were sniffing around the vacant shops next door to Berry Burk before the opening of M&R condos and Richmond Center Stage. Rumor was the Marchant couple were contemplating a second SIX BURNER downtown. Could it still be in the works?