Richmond Dining-Out scene

burt

Last Sunday, my last day in Richmond, after the ballet three of us went to JOE's INN on Shields Avenue in The Fan. It was a sentimental journey because I frequented the spot years ago when I was a resident of Richmond. In days of yore, there was only one room with a tiny kitchen; they have since expanded to another non-smoking space adjacent.

It ain't the same!

If you're hungry and like chicken livers (which I don't), you'll get enough to stuff a doggie bag for days.

I ordered spaghetti with meat sauce. Big mistake. It was a hUGE glob of limp, way overcooked pasta, but the sauce was decent.

I also enjoyed the iceberg lettuce drenched in salad oil which has NOT changed over the years.

The place was jam-packed, but if I ever go again, I'll suffer thru the original smoking section to wallow in nostalgia.

PS: The Richmond Ballet opens tomorrow for a week at The Joyce Theatre here in Manhattan. Same program I saw in Richmond (CARMINA BURANA), but I think I'll go again to show support, if tickets are available.

Edited by burt

As I write this, we are only 14 viewings shy of 50,000!!! :good:

And we're quickly closing the gap between us and the second most popular thread, Richmond off topic which has 51,401 viewings. Until recently, Dining Out was trailing Off Topic by as many as 5,000 views.

Edited by burt

Did I mention I had another great dining experience at Tarrant's last Friday? While waiting to be seated we sat at the bar and had a drink or two, talking to lively/funny bartender... then once seated, we had a waiter, who judging by the accent I think was French. He was quite a character! The food was great and inexpensive as always. I had a Sailor's Sandwich which was better than the one I had at New York Deli in Carytown, and the gf had a chicken sandwich that was delicious. I think it had a couple different cheeses, bacon, and maybe a sauce on it. The potato salad and coleslaw were also good. And to top it off, we indulged in another brownie with ice cream and whipped cream. Excluding our drinks at the bar, our total was something like $26.00 including tip!

The place was packed, and while we waited for about 15 minutes for a table, the bartender told said to us, "this is the slowest this place has been all day!" Granted it was First Friday's, but Tarrant's seems to do a good business.

Oh, and before heading down to the Slip for the night, we had a few drinks at BANK while waiting for some friends. That place has such a neat atmosphere.

Style's Deveron Timberlake waxes enthusiastically about Northside's restaurant scene in this week's edition.

A trio of entrepreneurs, after associations with Melito's, City Limits and Sidewalk Cafe, are nearly ready to open NORTHSIDE GRILLE in a former hardware store at 215-217 Bellevue Avenue. Owners Shanan Chambers and Teresa Delmendo (sisters) as well as Chef Bill Fritts say there will be 120 seats indoors and a patio. The restaurant will offer a family-friendly menu.

A custom built bar and booths have been fashioned by craftsman Craig Mattoon with help from Teresa's Pop, John Delmendo. A spring opening is anticipated.

As Deveron points out, North Richmond is finding its niche as a popular dining-out district. Already, BELLE ARTE, DOT'S BACK INN, SHENANIGANS, TASTEBUDS (STIR CRAZY), ZED CAFE as well as options at Lewis Ginter Botanical Gardens lure hungry visitors. Soon, STONE HILL DINING will anchor North Boulevard near Leigh Street and Johnny and Katherine Giavos are about to launch KITCHEN 64 on North Boulevard near the Interstate ramps.

Meanwhile, HERMITAGE GRILL at 6010 Hermitage Road continues its popularity, but many are mourning the recent closure of LA GRILL on Lakeside Avenue.

Edited by burt

Dana Craig's quest for fresh ocean seafood was not slaked by her visit to MILEPOST 5 at 1300 Sycamore Square in Midlothian, tel. 804/794-9344.

While she enjoyed the "fun and relaxing atmosphere" the restaurant was no match for some Outer Banks eateries.

There is a busy and lively bar scene and a dining area well spaced from the smoke-filled revelry.

Oddly for a place that emphasizes oysters on its menu, they were in short (and not too fresh) supply on Dana's visit.

I hope that Richmond will get a true, fresh seafood waterfront spot on the boardwalk at Rocketts Landing with fresh fish arriving by ship in the not distant future.

Dana awards MILEPOST 5 two and a half stars.

Tab for two: $81.

Coupe, when you and the g/f visited BANK the other night, did you learn anything about VAULT? Rumor was that it was supposed to open in March, but I think McLaw has said it has been delayed 'til summer.

HIGHWATER, the planned restaurant on the canal adjacent to TOADS PLACE, will be an independent operation and not part of a chain as far as I can surmise.

Does anyone have more info about it?

Coupe reported that there is a possibility that a restaurant will go on the second level of the restored Richmond Hotel when the State moves on the project. That will be convenient for legislators. :)

The lobby, with its Jefferson Hotel-like stairway and stained glass ceiling, is to be cleaned up.

Has anyone heard rumors about what restaurant will occupy the 7th and Broad corner of The National Theater?

Edited by burt

Neat, Icetera! Thanks to you and Style for the info.

THE MELLOW MUSHROOM in C'ville isn't part of a chain, as far as I know, so it's likely HIGHWATER will be strictly a local operation.

I wonder, since the second level has not been leased, who, if anyone, will have access to the new balconies jutting over the canal walk?

I noticed in a close up of Lady Bird on the Vistas live cam that a strange looking high balcony with an enclosed structure has been built on the north (parking lot) side of Lady Bird. Wonder what its function will be?

I noted in today's Building Permits column in the RTD that Commonwealth Commercial Partners, Inc. has leased 5000 square feet at 8982 Quioccasin Road to a restaurant called BLEU BISTRO.

I have a notion that this is old news and that the restsaurant has been open for a while; can anyone verify that?

The French spelling of "blue" will be getting a work-out in Metro Richmond if BLANC BLEU ever comes on line in the Power Plant at Riverside On The James.

I noted in today's Building Permits column in the RTD that Commonwealth Commercial Partners, Inc. has leased 5000 square feet at 8982 Quioccasin Road to a restaurant called BLEU BISTRO.

I have a notion that this is old news and that the restsaurant has been open for a while; can anyone verify that?

The French spelling of "blue" will be getting a work-out in Metro Richmond if BLANC BLEU ever comes on line in the Power Plant at Riverside On The James.

Hey Burt,

Bleu Bistro's been open for a while. Impressive considering that space is bad luck for restaurants. I believe the several restaurants located there previously tanked rather quickly. Here's the website: Bleu Bistro

Neat, Icetera! Thanks to you and Style for the info.

THE MELLOW MUSHROOM in C'ville isn't part of a chain, as far as I know, so it's likely HIGHWATER will be strictly a local operation.

I wonder, since the second level has not been leased, who, if anyone, will have access to the new balconies jutting over the canal walk?

I noticed in a close up of Lady Bird on the Vistas live cam that a strange looking high balcony with an enclosed structure has been built on the north (parking lot) side of Lady Bird. Wonder what its function will be?

The balcony on the parking lot side is all mechanical equipment (HVAC, etc), which I found rather interesting. Looking at the layout of the building, I would say that HIGHWATER would have to fit into the canal side of the second level with TOAD's covering the entire bottom level. The North side of the second floor is open to the club below, and I believe that offices already moved into the top floor. It has been a few weeks since I have been down there, perhaps I should brave the storm and take a look.

Also, the only thing that has me wondering on HIGHWATER being a chain or not, is the fact that they referred to John Adamson as the restaurant's General Manager, and did not mention an owner. That screams chain to me.

Edited by Icetera

Hey Burt,

Bleu Bistro's been open for a while. Impressive considering that space is bad luck for restaurants. I believe the several restaurants located there previously tanked rather quickly. Here's the website: Bleu Bistro

Thanks, checkplease. I was pretty sure that the restaurant was up and running. Information in the TD's Building Permits column are consistently out-of-date, I have discovered.

I wish BLEU BISTRO great success despite the failure of its predecessor(s).

It sure is blue! :rolleyes:

Icetera, when I looked into TOADS about two weeks ago work was progressing furiously on the stage on the north side of the building's first level (under the newly cut hole). You know that there is a stone structure that runs vertically the height of the building and is supposed to have a water feature pouring down its south wall. There are two large canal-side spaces on the ground and 2nd levels and a man who is selling Vistas units told me that the large second level space was not yet leased. That led me to believe that HIGHWATER would be on the ground level.

I hope you can get down there and check it out for us.

PS: Where are performers dressing rooms? The National will have plenty of backstage space to accommodate performers, including sauna and hot tub, I believe.

PPS: Thanks for explaining the north balcony.

Edited by burt

Sorry for the late reply... So much has gone on since the trip and the trip in itself kept me busy with less time to meal hop...

Bottoms Up Pizza

Yummy! I had a pretty high expectation given the reviews I had read on it from here and in the gazillion Richmond magazines I picked up within my first few hours of arriving. I went in on Sunday afternoon and the crowd was tame, not busy at all. Well, that is what I thought until my individual pizza took a good 25+ minutes. I forget the name of the pizza; I believe it was Steve's Chicken ".....".

The taste was really good and I enjoyed their thin crust. While, I didn't expect it to fill me it was quite enough.

Unos

Monday ended up being quite a busy day. I ate some hot food from the Market. After running around handling other business I decided to go with Unos (Sandston). Preparation and service was fast but I have to say I was unimpressed with the food. I ordered a quesidilla appetizer and a classic Unos pizza. For a $20 tab I would have preferred another night of Bottoms Up.

Comfort

I was in the mood for fresh fish but Southern "fixins" and that led me to Comfort. I parked two blocks away and walked into a full house. However, I was seated promptly and acknowledged they had run out of 'tato salad. BUMMER! I sided with fried catfish, mac 'n cheese, and sauteed green beans (which is not one of my favorites but they do not do okra for lunch). Anyhow, the food arrived quickly and BOY WAS IT GOOD! The only thing I disliked was the portions were small. I ordered the mac 'n cheese to go. I could have easily eaten two plates without a second thought LOL.

All in all, I enjoyed my eating experience, while limited, in Richmond. I am more excited to continue to taste wide selection of options available in the near future.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions; I'll have more than enough time to plummet through the 500 local restaurants upon my arrival :D

So, sbc, it looks like you'll be returning to Richmond. That's good news!

I worry about your starchy intake -- pizzas and mac & cheese are all right, but we'll have to balance your diet next you're in town. :lol:

You may have mentioned earlier, but will you be a student in Richmond -- or perhaps a big executive with a new Fortune 500 company? :)

Whatever your destiny, know that you are welcome to the city at the top of the South.

Icetera, when I looked into TOADS about two weeks ago work was progressing furiously on the stage on the north side of the building's first level (under the newly cut hole). You know that there is a stone structure that runs vertically the height of the building and is supposed to have a water feature pouring down its south wall. There are two large canal-side spaces on the ground and 2nd levels and a man who is selling Vistas units told me that the large second level space was not yet leased. That led me to believe that HIGHWATER would be on the ground level.

I hope you can get down there and check it out for us.

PS: Where are performers dressing rooms? The National will have plenty of backstage space to accommodate performers, including sauna and hot tub, I believe.

PPS: Thanks for explaining the north balcony.

Burt,

You may be right about the restaurant being downstairs, as I do not see where they could accomodate a kitchen on the second level. If HIGHWATER is on the bottom level, it would have to be towards the East/Front of the building and would really limit the size of the club area. There is a protruding structure behind the stage area, which I would imagine to be the performer back staging area, etc. They are also walling in the stage side portion of the upper balcony. This section has direct stair access to the stage and may be the dressing area.

Edited by Icetera

I guess this is old news, but I just read that Captial Ale House will be opening a third location at the new Midlothian Village Square by Fall 2007.

A few highlights of this restaurant will be lots of patio and sidewalk dining, a mezzanine level that overlooks the bar and indoor and outdoor wood burning fireplaces.
This is of course in addition to their Innsbrook and Main Street locations.

Thanks Icetera. I don't know why it is that visualizing a completed interior at Lady Bird is so difficult for me -- and I say that even after being given a tour last fall and my sneak-in visit two weeks ago.

But I do know that TOADS will take up only one half the width of the building -- the north side. The waterfall feature is about the center of the structure and I recall an unfinished large space on the south side of the ground level under the corresponding large space upstairs. If you look at Lady Bird on the Vista's cam, you'll see that there is a temporary ramp on the canal walk side leading thru a door to the club level; I think, also, that there is a street level entry along the canal west (or upstream) of the ramp.

As the King of Siam said, "Is a puzzlement". :)

I'll bet you're right about the walled-in space behind the stage on the 2nd level containing dressing rooms.

I guess this is old news, but I just read that Captial Ale House will be opening a third location at the new Midlothian Village Square by Fall 2007. This is of course in addition to their Innsbrook and Main Street locations.

Thanks, gnt, That emphasizes my assertion that Metro Richmond is big enough to absorb growth in all directions.

It's important to point out that while expanding to the burbs, CAPITAL ALE HOUSE is doubling its size on Main Street between 6th and 7th. The downtown location does excellent business.

Thanks Icetera. I don't know why it is that visualizing a completed interior at Lady Bird is so difficult for me -- and I say that even after being given a tour last fall and my sneak-in visit two weeks ago.

But I do know that TOADS will take up only one half the width of the building -- the north side. The waterfall feature is about the center of the structure and I recall an unfinished large space on the south side of the ground level under the corresponding large space upstairs. If you look at Lady Bird on the Vista's cam, you'll see that there is a temporary ramp on the canal walk side leading thru a door to the club level; I think, also, that there is a street level entry along the canal west (or upstream) of the ramp.

As the King of Siam said, "Is a puzzlement". :)

I'll bet you're right about the walled-in space behind the stage on the 2nd level containing dressing rooms.

So, it will be divided length-wise? That would make more sense for the club, and leave two smaller units on the bottom level facing the canal. If that is the case, those units seem too small to accomodate restaurants. I am having a hard time imagining where the exhaust and refrigerator/freezer units will be located. Until they fill in the floor and start framing the first floor walls, I guess it will remain unknown.

Now I really want to try getting inside to get a better look. I just could not get myself to harass the Vista's guy, even though he was out smoking a cigarrette when I went by yesterday.

Edited by Icetera