Richmond Dining-Out scene

burt

I've had a busy week, but I've been able to try some different places. Last week I ate at Perly's for the first time and it was fantastic. It totally lived up to everything I've heard about it. Very tasty and the iced tea was strong! I hate that watered down iced tea you get in so many places...

Checked out New York Deli in Carytown as well. It was pretty good. I had a sailor sandwich...hadn't had one in like 5 years, but it was definitely good. Nothing spectacular there really, though they did have some interesting beers on tap, like PBR. The interior is pretty neat as well. One thing though is that it is really loud in there. My guess is that it's because there is nothing to absorb the sound except wood floors, a tin ceiling, and brick walls.

Yesterday, checked out Carytown Burger and Fries for the first time as well. Burgers were freakin' huge, especially the buns. I had a rodeo burger... 1/3 pound burger topped with onion rings and a tangy barbecue sauce and loaded up with some other stuff. It was good and their fries are tasty. It's worth the long wait for the food (over 30 minutes for us).

Last night after a Renegades game we checked out Popkin Tavern for the first time. What a great atmosphere! The place was packed when we showed up around 10:30. No luck sitting anywhere downstairs so we headed up to one of the lounge areas and had our meal on a glass coffee table :lol: I had a barbecue chicken pizza which was surprisingly good and very generous. My friend had a pesto pizza which was great as well, and the gf had some jerk chicken skewers and a house salad... the skewers were tender and tasty.

Lots of firsts and they were all good experiences!

Also, again, for a good beer in a great authentic british pub, check out Rosie Connelly's in the Bottom.

Great report, Coupe.

Does POPKIN TAVERN still have Chicken Pot Pie on the menu? If they do, and you had ordered one, it would have been enough for you, your pal, g/f and a doggy bag. :lol:

I had the chicken pot pot pie there 2 weeks ago, and it was tasty. Although I definitely ate the entire thing. haha, I was rather full afterwards.

julips on east franklin...they do have a web-site with menus

mr and mrs bugsy had a tasty and enjoyable dinner here a couple nights back. we were seated upstairs and it was a pleasant setting....i didn't notice smoke, so perhaps it's not allowed. fried green tomatoes and caesar salad were the beginning...both good, but the portion on the salad was a tad small.

mains were both excellent; a gumbo with shrimp and chicken and sausage over polenta and a mahi-mahi stack.

a wine list that is among the most reasonably priced in town and decent wine stems and good service puts this in my top 5 in Richmond. ( they told me that on mondays most wines are 40% off ) go and enjoy !

Ahhh! Relative to the above question, today's Style weekly has an excellent review of TARRANT'S CAFE. I liked it so much I decided to use my newfound cut and paste ability and bring it over here in its entirety. However, it didn't work this time, so here are my comments about the review:

Don Baker has some very upbeat things to say about TARRANT'S CAFE, #1 West Broad (corner of Foushee), tel. 804/225-0035.

First of all, Mr. Baker is enthusiastic about the gentrified turn of the neighborhood. He remarks on the bustling activity in the arty district which has spawned many galleries and restaurants ranging from the delightful retro coffee house LIFT; downhome COMFORT; quirky POPKIN; popular deli PEARLY's, and elegant TWENTY SEVEN. He might also have added CHEZ FOUSHEE, NICK'S PRODUCE, and for complete inclusiveness, BAR CODE.

Though emphasis may be on soups, salads and sandwiches, TARRANT'S is no slouch when it comes to tasty entrees.

Chef-owner, Ted Santarella and g/f Sherry Loop run a tight ship - with emphasis on "tight" where kitchen size is concerned. In fact, business has been almost overwhelming -- to the point where expansion to an adjoining space is under serious consideration. The tiny kitched would be muchly enlarged and restaurant seating would be doubled to almost 100.

Mr. Baker says: "Now, if the city will improve the street lighting, as it's doing in The Fan, and the merchants come up with a parking solution -- valet service may be a short term fix -- the West Broad corridor may be the next Carytown."

Visit Style and check out this neat review. :)

Edited by burt

Deveron's Side Dish column brings some sad news:

L.A. GRILL, 5516 Lakeside Avenue, has closed. I enjoyed my meal there a few months ago as well as the intimacy and graciousness of the staff.

TONIC THAI is taking up residence in the former smart cocktail lounge at 14 North 18th Street. It's around the corner from the superb JULEP'S and, as far as I can determine, is the only Asian eatery of the Siamese pursuasion in The Bottom.

Lunch and dinner daily, except Sundays.

Has anyone an update on the former MEDLEY'S blues club location? It is at the southeast corner of 17th and Main and JSI said recently that activity was noted on site.

Doesn't look like much has changed although there's definitely been activity in the location.

HOME TEAM GRILL appears close to opening at Main St. & Vine St.. Ran by this morning and saw a sign for job interviews this Thursday & Friday. I believe this will be a sports bar and will compete directly with Mulligan's. It fronts Main St. in the renovated Trolley Condos (not sure of the exact name).

Well, sadly, I suppose there comes a time when a restaurant is going to be given a single star out of a possible four.

But Dana Craig visited PASTA LUNA twice before giving this minimal rating. PASTA LUNA, 8902-D West Broad in Gold's Plaza, tel. 804/762-9029, has a second location in Midlothian, but the critique is based on meals at the Broad Street restaurant.

Visiting showbiz types, in days gone by, often were directed to PASTA LUNA. It was touted as one of the area's best Italian eateries.

Times, they are a-changing -- apparently. Despite the importation of Executive Chef Clemenza Caserta, formerly of Robert De Niro's TRIBECA GRILL, his imaginative menu is not being executed as it should. Dana's complaints range from staff surliness, uninformative entree descriptions, temperature variations, substitutions and careless preparations.

She ends with: "In years past, I turned to PASTA LUNA for generous portions of usually dependable Italian fare. Unfortunately, on my most recent visits, the restaurant did not show the ability to execute the chef's creations."

Tab for two: $106 (dinner) and $24 (lunch).

JSI, in addition to HOT TEAM GRILL, is there also a produce/grocery market in the Trolley Condos?

Not that I know of and it's HOME TEAM GRILL not HOT TEAM GRILL :P There was a new building built immediately to the East of the Trolley Condos and I think there's a coffee shop (Rostov's??) and what looks like an Art studio in place with 3-4 vacancies.

I bet downtown restaurants are bustling now that the General Assembly is in town. Maybe McLaw's friend, Tim, will be dining out more often. :lol:

Have we yet had a review of dd33? dklee promised one, but my old brain doesn't recall seeing it.

Edited by burt

Deveron over at Style has a lot of news today. I'm too tired to post it all today, but here's a sample:

Former LIMANI chef Matthew Tlusty has allied himself with CARYTOWN SEAFOOD AT INNSBROOK. Perhaps Dana and others who have reported disappointment in the new restaurant will visit to review the situatiomn.

Tlusty was supposed to open a glorified Hamburger place at the flooded out TABLE TALK on 17th Street. I guess he has lost interest in The Bottom.

Meanwhile former LEMANI (later DURO) on West Cary practically across from CAN CAN, will reopen as WEEZIE'S KITCHEN probably next month.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

POSITIVE VIBE CAFE in Stratford Hills Shopping Center on Forest Hill Avenue has celebrity chefs in its kitchen from time to time. Q Dirks, formerly of AVALON; Ed Vasiao, honcho chef of MAMMA 'ZU and EDO'S SQUID, and Jannequin Bennett of TJ's in The Jefferson will be on hand to help train employees -- usually at Sunday Bunch times.

There's belly dancing and live music on "Tummy Tuesdays". (And I wish I could put a smiley here, but don't know how with this new system).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

POPKIN TAVERN at Jefferson & Broad and THE TRIPLE across from Channel 6 on West Broad are making brews and burgers at pool tables very popular. THE TRIPLE has 8-ball tournaments on Monday nights; ladies night on Wednesdays, and restaurant employee appreciation (for those carrying check stubs for discounts) after 10PM on Sundays and Mondays.

Ahhhh. One of my little favorites! Dana has memorialized it with four stars!

THE TRACK, 2915 West Cary (across from the Byrd), tel. 804/ 359-4781.

This intimate, non-elaborate but romantic restaurant has been around since 1978. In fact, so long I'm not sure that the tag "Carytown" had been invented. Under the ownership of a young fellow whose first name was Chris, THE TRACK enjoyed a faithful following. I believe (but don't quote me) Chris is now somewhere like Deltaville, but his dedication and good taste is still pre-eminent along the West End retail/restaurant strip.

Owen Lane who has spent kitchen time at HELEN's and BACCHUS joined THE TRACK in November. According to Dana, "Lane hasn't overhauled the restaurant's storied menu, but he's leaving a mark with tempting creations that focus on locally grown, seasonal ingredients." His menu includes six appetizers, six entrees and "a nightly special or two."

Dana's side box does not include the usual "tab for two" info, but safe to say with starters at $7, entrees up to $27, desserts, $6 and a wine list ranging between $30 and $82, it will be on the pricey side.

I think a four-star review deserves a reprint. If I've learned enough about cut and paste, I am going to post it below in a separate entry. :alc: