Richmond Dining-Out scene

burt

There is (or was in October) a traffic problem inside BANK. When it's packed with people four deep on both sides of the big bar, it is next to impossible to push thru to the dining area and restrooms. At least, that was this old man's experience one night when I was trying to show off the place to friends after having dined there early on a previous evening. What is the traffic problem going to be like when VAULT opens March 17th? Will VAULT have a separate entrance from the rear, McLaw?

BIG DADDY's in The Bottom on Main between 17th and 18th has a dress code? What are Timberlands?

A really nice guy named D. C. runs BIG DADDY's and he gave me a tour of the restaurant/bar/club as well as the private dining rooms one day about noon in October. I'm really glad to hear it is doing well.

Has D. C. opened an Italian restaurant next door?

I wanted to go back of an evening to see the girls suspended on swings from the ceiling, but alas, never made it. :lol:

I wouldn't be sad to see a trend toward folks dressing up for dinner out in some of our nicer restaurants. Frankly, it takes a little away from the dining experience if you're going for a nice evening out and everybody else is wearing jeans.

I'm sure LEMAIRE at The Jefferson has a pretty strict dress code.

(The LEMAIRE comment is mine and I was trying to put it under jbjust's quote but it looks like it's part of his. Guess I was too quick on the draw after the BIG DADDY comments. Edited by burt

tims, timberlands, are boots? but they look nice i guess. maybe they are trying to keep out certain people who wear tims? i don't know.

I do agree, regarding bank and the flow of people traffic.

with the bar filled, it is extremely hard to move on either side, so i am glad they are going to have a separate entrance to Vault, otherwise, that place is going to be a fire hazard. Maybe it will be somewhat like how tobacco co has the main entrance and the club entrance.

I am surprised that the girls hanging at Big Daddy's don't have some sort of safety harness. one slip of the wrist and they will fall 20 ft... ouch..

tims, timberlands, are boots? but they look nice i guess. maybe they are trying to keep out certain people who wear tims? i don't know.

I do agree, regarding bank and the flow of people traffic.

with the bar filled, it is extremely hard to move on either side, so i am glad they are going to have a separate entrance to Vault, otherwise, that place is going to be a fire hazard. Maybe it will be somewhat like how tobacco co has the main entrance and the club entrance.

I am surprised that the girls hanging at Big Daddy's don't have some sort of safety harness. one slip of the wrist and they will fall 20 ft... ouch..

There was a controversy a few months back at Big Daddy's when they didn't let someone in because they had cornrows I believe. I go there pretty frequently and see people turned away for baggy clothing, shirts without collars, etc... And this is people of all races. It's a private establishment and I think they have a right to require certain kinds of attire as long as they make it well known but I'm sure we haven't seen the last of it.

Dining features in this week's style include news from Deveron about PARADISE DINER which hopes to open by December 15th at 2845 Hathaway Road in the former Mexico Restaurant. The new Stratford Hills diner has 80 seats in booths and a bar and will serve up salt herring and roe, which one doesn't find often on menus. There are plenty of other selections, too. The owners used to operate the former Karen's Diner on Broad Street.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Deveron says that BANK will start Sunday brunch. The very popular restaurant at 1005 East Main Street will offer, among other delectibles, Chef Matt Turner's preparation of Corned Beef Hash. And, of course, there'll be Bellinis from the bar.

Edited by burt

Style's B. P. Fox writes about a place that has "tight tunes, tight dudes and a comfy laid back atmosphere." It's the famous VCU area 821 CAFE which is located at that number on West Cary Street -- tel. 804/649-1042.

Beginning at 8AM Tuesdays thru Fridays and 9AM Saturday and Sundays, you can order egg/pork/toast on a biscuit with yummy grits or potato; or maybe your taste leans south of the border in which case a breakfast burrito would satisfy the palate. Banana pancakes are on the menu, too. And all thru the day 'til 10PM, there is an assortment of sandwiches and entrees.

A funky and fun place. Drop in when you're in the nabe -- or if you're not, make a special trip.

Edited by burt

Thanks for posting the above websites, Coupe.

I'm not swift enough in computerese to do it, but if anyone can add other web sites of restaurants in Metro Richmond, I wish you would do so.

I believe TARRANT DRUG's specialty is lighter fare along the soup/sandwich/salad line with limited entree offerings. I was in there around noon one day but only had a glass of iced tea at the bar.

I'll bet Brent could tell us more.

Edited by burt

Today's Entertainment section of the RTD has Linda Dunham telling us about CHRISTOPHER'S GOURMAY retirement for the winter months beginning tomorrow. The popular street food carts that dot downtown locations will return in early March.

Ms Dunham also reported, as did Style's Deveron, that BANK at 1005 East Main is starting a Sunday Brunch from 10AM to 3PM. The famous restauranyt has been closed on Sundays here-to-fore, and neither she nor Deveron indicated whether or not Sunday hours will be extended for dinner beyond 3PM. I think it's safe to assume not.

CHEZ FOUSHEE, 203 North Foushee Street at the n/e corner of Grace is offering a winter menu that sounds extraordinarily delicious. This is its web site (but knowing my lack of expertise, it probably will not be highlighted). www.chezfoushee.com. Well, as you can see, I just don't know how to do that.

Anyway, this restaurant is a chic looking spot and is open for dinner only on the First Friday of each month. Pity!

There's a poplar gay bar called BARCODE next door. You'd think it might assure some evening business at CHEZ FOUSHEE.

Edited by burt

Dana goes vegan! Well, not entirely, but the place reported on today leans that way. It is ZED CAFE at 5109 Lakeside Avenue, tel. 804/261-5656.

This non-smoking "organic eatery" is connected to a wellness spa, and if you hunger for a burger rather than sprouts, Roy's Big Burger is within walking distance. :) The mission here is "to offer delicious, fresh wholesome dishes...all organic at affordale prices."

Quoting Dana: "Weekend brunch is a good summation of what ZED CAFE does best. Sage green and brick walls are bathed in morning sunlight as the scent of fresh espresso mixes with aromatherapy candles. An open kitchen gives way to casual IKEA-esque tables filled with regulars and post-salon patrons."

Among dinner entrees: "Topped with spicy peach chutney, the coaster-sized fritters were the veggie equivalent of the perfect filler-free crab cake. Golden brown crusts gave way to creamy interiors, which were rich tasting yet refreshing."

Dinner tab for two: $84.

ZED's web site is: www.zedcafeonline.com. If you want to access it, you'll have to type it in your browser bar because I don't know how to highlight these danged things.

One over-worked server handled the entire room. Unavailability of menu-listed beets long after an order had been put in, and a cancelled salad still appearing on the credit card bill aggravated an otherwise generally pleasant dining experience.

ZED CAFE gets two and a half stars.

Edited by burt

I had a great meal at PAPA NINGO's last night in the Bottom. It's was my third visit and just as enjoyable as the previous visits. This time, we had a party of about 7, and it was the first time for 4 of the people. They also enjoyed it. Started off with some fried sliced plantains that are covered in a buttery garlic sauce. The food takes a little while since it's authentic, so they bring out a small plate of salad while you're waiting. I had the Mofongo with pork chunks which was delicious and extremely filling. Someone else had the Mofongo with Shrimp, and I remember a couple people having a dish that had a large breast of chicken with shrimp over rice covered in an awesome pineapple and red pepper glaze. Overall, very good and I definitely recommend the place. It's got a great atmosphere and it's a very "homy" and intimate. The restaurant is definitely a family run affair. Check it out some time!

After that, we checked out Rosie Connelly's for the first time, and that place is great! If I didn't know better, I'd have thought I was in Britain at a real pub in a small town. Awesome awesome place and the owners are wonderful. Had a couple pints of Smithwick's before heading to a sold out Trans-Siberian Orchestra show at the Coliseum.

Great report, Coupe. For those who do not know, PAPA NINGO is the colorful Dominican restaurant around the corner from the Farmer's Market. It it on East Franklin between 17th and 18th several doors west of JULEP'S.

Glad you enjoyed ROSIE CONNELLEY'S. The owner is a Lilipudian (is that what they call hemselves? :)) from the big port on the Irish Sea on the west coast of England. Liverpool is the birthplace of The Beatles.

ROSIE'S is underneath OLD CITY BAR in the former Railroad YMCA building which wraps around the n/w corner of 17th and Main.

Edited by burt

Coming early summer to the canals: BLANC BLEU; BLACK FINN RESTAURANT & SALOON; SOUTHERN RAILWAY DELI (which I had previously identified as Canal Cafe); perhaps a coffee house in Vistas and a 150-seat restaurant in Lady Bird along with the 1600-capacity TOAD'S PLACE.

Maybe Coupe, Tommy or someone will fill in with descriptions of each since I am mildly disabled. :)

Of course, Burt :)

A few follow-ups....and Burt, I must say, you were dead on with all of them!

Lady Byrd Hat Building

Toad's Place of Richmond(nightclub and restaurant to open spring of '07)

First Tenant is the Rosaline Financial Group

Vistas on the James

18 stories, 162 condos, retail and restaurant space

First move in dates of May '07

Southern Railway Building

Southern Railway Deli with Coffee shop

Riverside on the James

BlackFinn Restaurant and Saloon on street level, April '07.

Hyrdoelectric Plant Building (ROTJ)

Blanc Bleu Restaurant and Lounge in Spring of '07

Foundry Park

Additional Plans call for a second office building, a residential tower, a hotel, restaurants and retail

I put this all in the restaurant thread, due to the fact that they will all have a restaurant component in them

Edited by TBurban

The Southern Railway Deli

The deli will specialize in gourmet food with a European twist, as well as beer and wine. The business will have counter and outdoor seating, as well as a coffee shop.

BlackFinn Restaurant and Saloon

It will feature American cuisine in a sports bar environment in 7,000 sq/f in ROTJ.

Blanc Bleu

A 220 seat restaurant in the Hydroelectric Plant(ROTJ). It will feature a bistro menu with a French Flair. It will have a dramatic interior, with white upholstery , arches, mirrors, crystal chandeliers, and sheer curtains.

all the restaurants coming to richmond has been something we all have been waiting for. The only thing that needs cleaning up is... the city itself. it's great that we have such a selection of restaurants to go to, but what about other stuff? maybe this is the wrong forum for it, but i think they need to clean up DT richmond, mainly broad st and really turn it around. bulldoze the boarded up buildings, change the outdated faces, and maybe, maybe richmond will rise up again to be a top notch city.

Why bulldoze boarded up buildings when you can rehabilitate them and breathe new life into them? I can't imagine if Tobacco Row was bulldozed when it was boarded up.

Broad is coming back, slowly but surely. The best way to make these things happen is for everyone to dine in the restaurants, visit the galleries, etc...

Everytime the city has a "oh this will save everything" idea, it always turns out to be a disaster. The organic renaissance we are currently witnessing has done more for the city than any of the big "save all" projects.

It's happening, we just have to be patient and help out where we can. I know where you're coming from. :thumbsup: