Richmond Dining-Out scene

burt

Sad to say, Dana Craig's feelings about BLUEPOINT FISH CLUB reflect my opinion about the place. Sad, I say, because as pointed out in her header: 'ALL THAT GLITTERS ISN'T GOURMET', the limited menu and sketchy service just doesn't cut it. I had thought my visit in early October might have been a "shake-down" cruise, but apparently this ship has not yet found its moorings.

In an attractive -- even luxurious -- setting one is entitled to expect professionalism and an inspiring menu. Not so. A lady of a certain age in our party decided on a beer to begin the evening. A server slapped a bottle in front of her as if it were a road house. A glass had to be requested.

As Dana points out menu offerings are pretty ordinary and quite limited.

BLUEPOINT FISH CLUB is, indeed, a ritzy looking establishment. Quoting Dana again: "Bluepoint's culinary 'gifts' might not bring unanimous wows, but its fancy 'wrapping paper' will impress. High ceilings, 'vintage' black and white photography and sage-colored lanterns give the bright, open dining room's wood-paneled bar and round booths an Art Deco vibe. A three-piece jazz band cloaks the room in glossy melodies."

But where's the fish?

Quoting Dana, "Bluepoint's entrees range from fish and chips ($13.95) and Seafood "Mac & Cheese" ($22.95) with mascarpone cream sauce to a petit filet ($23.95) and whole Maine lobster (market price). Portions are large, but quality is average."

This chain operation has restaurants in Destin and Hollywood, Florida as well as in Columbia, S.C and Tucson, Az.

Tab for two: $128.

BLUEPOINT FISH CLUB

11788 West Broad Street (on the Short Pump Town Center ring road within sight of The Cheesecake Factory)

tel. 804/440-7301

SONIC DRIVE-IN has opened a franchise at 12201 Bermuda Crossroad in Chester.

This is a fast-food restaurant famous for it car-hop service.

My one and only job in the food business was as a car-hop when I was young and spry in 1951 (and believe me, you had to be spry to car hop :lol: ). It was probably Los Angeles's most famous drive-in on Wilshire Blvd at La Cienega. I slapped trays on the cars of some very famous people. :D . Good tips, too, but it was not a long-term job.

i remember back in the early 90's when Sonic opened up in chesterfield by Huguenot and i think Robious? I went with a bunch of friends and we all got sick...

I found that review regarding Bluepoint to be right on the money. The decor is really nice, compared to the drab that occupied seasons. the food, was not all that tasty. I wish Richmond could have a really fine seafood restaurant. I been looking high and low and haven't found one to my liking.

On the topic of seafood restaurants, CARYTOWN SEAFOOD recently opened a new location in Innsbrook. Looks nice, and the food looks delicious. I personally haven't gotten a chance to check it out yet, but hopefully Ill be going soon.

Had to weigh in on the seafood subject, as I could exist on nothing but scallops for the rest of my life.

dklee, I completely agree with you about trying to find a good seafood restaurant in town. What's up? There are plenty of wonderful seafood entrees at other restaurants not exclusively serving seafood (Patina Grill, Rowland), but none are solely "fish houses." Shackleford's was good for a while but not these days. Crab Louie's is good, but for me it's a drive. Why is finding good seafood so hard? I miss Limani.

TBurban, speaking of bad seafood, Carytown Seafood at Innsbrook (in my humble opinion) is atrocious. Half of what we got was inedible. I was shocked considering I get fish from the actual Carytown market quite often. If you go, I'd love to hear what you think. I left pining for Red Lobster.

Does anyone have any seafood restaurant secrets they'd like to share? I need a regular spot to kill my cravings.

Had to weigh in on the seafood subject, as I could exist on nothing but scallops for the rest of my life.

dklee, I completely agree with you about trying to find a good seafood restaurant in town. What's up? There are plenty of wonderful seafood entrees at other restaurants not exclusively serving seafood (Patina Grill, Rowland), but none are solely "fish houses." Shackleford's was good for a while but not these days. Crab Louie's is good, but for me it's a drive. Why is finding good seafood so hard? I miss Limani.

TBurban, speaking of bad seafood, Carytown Seafood at Innsbrook (in my humble opinion) is atrocious. Half of what we got was inedible. I was shocked considering I get fish from the actual Carytown market quite often. If you go, I'd love to hear what you think. I left pining for Red Lobster.

Does anyone have any seafood restaurant secrets they'd like to share? I need a regular spot to kill my cravings.

Haha, well then it looks like Ill hold off on the visit. Ill just have to wait till the summertime drive to the Outer Banks to get my fried shrimp!

B. P. FOX expresses her views of the Richmond restaurant with the longest name - CARYTOWN SEAFOOD AT INNSBROOK RESTAURANT AND MARKET.

Reading between the lines in her Style review one may suspect that Ms Fox disdains polo shirts, pressed jeans and tassled loafers. But that's nothing compared to her opinion of menu offerings. She says "Decent fish and chips, with sweetly moist insides and delicately puffed crust, can be found on both the lunch and dinner menus, but an oyster po' boy is stingy with its oysters and overly generous with its leaden French-bread roll." A crabcake sandwich on croissant had an "excessive- breading-to-low-crabmeat ratio" and the crabmeat and lobster bisque lacked discernible chunks of lobster.

She continues, "The 'smashed' red skin potatoes work better as an industrial adhesive and the 'country-style' moniker attached to the green beans is just an excuse to let them inelegantly turn to mush on a back burner."

And her comments about her pricey martini are very funny if, regrettably, true. In short, she paid an extra dollar for "NOT having any ice in my drink. My olives, thankfully were free."

She did not reveal total cost for the evening except to point out that the martini served "up" was $9.

The long-named place, which is miles from Carytown, is at 4040-B Cox Road at Innsbrook. Tel. 804/965-5514.

Tommy, apparently you missed this entry.

One of the best seafood houses in Richmond, IMO, is HARD SHELL on East Cary between 14th and 15th streets, though I have had at least one less-than-satisfactory evening there.

Tommy, apparently you missed this entry.

One of the best seafood houses in Richmond, IMO, is HARD SHELL on East Cary between 14th and 15th streets, though I have had at least one less-than-satisfactory evening there.

PS: When you're in Nags Head, you could go further south to Calabash near the South Carolina border for fried seafood platters at any number of restaurants. It's famous. LOL.

I'll be going to Tobacco Company tonight and then the grand illumination before a Christmas Party. Time permitting, I'd like to stop in for a drink at The Bank. Should be fun :)

Hey, Coupe. Glad you're getting out tonight! Hope you have a reservation at TOBACCO COMPANY. It's always packed - even on week nights. Request an atrium table on the third level and enjoy the view of activity below and thru the skylight above.

Hoist one for old Burt at BANK! :)

Edited by burt

Yesterday, I perused Raleigh on the North Carolina board and learned something worth emulating. N.C. has liquor laws similar to those in Virginia with one glaring exception: clubs can operate as private entities and not be encumbered by the silly 50-50 food/liquor requirement. Memberships are sold for about $5. The result is a much livlier night club scene than can be found in Virginia.

Richmond, Norfolk, Virginia Beach, Roanoke, Nova and other urban communities: TAKE NOTE and urge your legislators to adopt similar legislation. :)

Greg Gilligan's TD column in today's Business section of the RTD has many nice and informative things to say about dd33. The new Asian-fusion resturant which has been the subject of much conversation on this thread is located in The Shops at Twin Oaks on Cox Road just south of West Broad.

That's in Tommy's neighborhood, so maybe he, as well as dklee, can give us a first-hand report. :) .

Gilligan also reports that the surviving JULIAN'S at 111293 Three Chopt Road has shuttered and put its building up for sale. The midtown location on Broad at Mulberry Street closed some months ago.

According to DowntownDave who occasionally visits this board, the year 2008 will bring a few new eating options to the new VCU Monroe Park Campus Addition.

STARBUCKS and CHILI'S will open on Cary Street between Belvidere and Madison Streets, and a NYCity based sandwich shop called BLEEKER STREET will open on the ground floor of the new Engineering Building at the southeast corner of Belvidere and Main.

These are in addition to the multiple choices in the beautiful new dining hall at Park Avenue and Shaffer Court on campus, and the string of new eateries at the base of Ramz Hall on Broad across from the Fine Arts Building.

Edited by burt

A Chili's downtown... I think that'll be the first chain sit down restaurant downtown. I'm not familiar with Bleeker Street.

I'm not so sure I'd think of that location as "downtown"; though, technically, being east of Belvidere, I guess it is. But it will primarily serve VCU students and personnel.