Richmond Dining-Out scene

burt

Checkplease, I don't remember bread baskets with paper lining at POPKIN TAVERN. It is not, however, a white tablecloth upscale dining experience. But you will enjoy the ambience, decor and the BIG chicken pot pie! :lol: Nice bar scene, too.

Brent, have you visited MIKE AND MIKE'S AT MAGGIES on 1st Street?

i believe that jacquemos restaurant at 18th and franklin in shockoe bottom is now closed. it has been dark the past few weekends.

i noticed a place called downtown lounge, on 12th (or 11th?) between cary street and main street in shockoe slip, which, according to info painted on its windows, will be opening before too long. it looks like a basement bar of some sort.

The upcoming Downtown Lounge on 12th Street was an urban club until fairly recently, I believe. There used to another urban spot called ZEKE'S around the corner on Main Street, but it closed a few years ago.

If JACQUEOMO'S in the quaint building at 18th and Franklin has closed, I am saddened. I enjoyed my cajun meal there.

PAPA NINGO on Franklin between 17th and 18th had a fairly good crowd the evening I peeked in, but I didn't get a chance to dine there. Coupe has enjoyed it on his visits.

Edited by burt

i have been living in the west end for 20 some years now, and heard about urban planet a while ago looking up information regarding rocketts landing and other developments DT when the local news didn't provide any additional info.

I didn't see this thread on eating until just now and decided to register and give some input.

I drove by DD33 saturday and the parking lot was full. Now i don't know if it was because of Ipanema grill or wild noodles. actually, i know it wasn't from Wild Noodles. that place sucks and i am extremely surprised that it hasn't closed.

I do have one question, and i don't know if it was answered or asked previously, but what happened to McAllister's in the Short Pump Shopping Center? they looked like they were doing extremely well, and all of a sudden, doors were closed, and that was the end of it? Does anyone know?

i have been living in the west end for 20 some years now, and heard about urban planet a while ago looking up information regarding rocketts landing and other developments DT when the local news didn't provide any additional info.

I didn't see this thread on eating until just now and decided to register and give some input.

I drove by DD33 saturday and the parking lot was full. Now i don't know if it was because of Ipanema grill or wild noodles. actually, i know it wasn't from Wild Noodles. that place sucks and i am extremely surprised that it hasn't closed.

I do have one question, and i don't know if it was answered or asked previously, but what happened to McAllister's in the Short Pump Shopping Center? they looked like they were doing extremely well, and all of a sudden, doors were closed, and that was the end of it? Does anyone know?

For some reason I remember hearing (or maybe reading in the paper) that the franchise owner of the Short Pump McAllister's closed the restaurant because the rent was getting too high, not because of lack of business. Don't quote me on this, but I think it was very sudden and even some of the employees were surprised.

There is still a McAllister's at Riverside on the James.

I like to think that maybe the comments on this thread had something to do with filling up the parking lot at dd33. :)

I wasn't sure if the one at Riverside was still open...

If the rent was too high for short pump, how do the other retailers deal with it? i can't see grapevine, or even ritz camera doing as well as McAllister's.... i loved their salad and baked potatoes..

I wasn't sure if the one at Riverside was still open...

If the rent was too high for short pump, how do the other retailers deal with it? i can't see grapevine, or even ritz camera doing as well as McAllister's.... i loved their salad and baked potatoes..

per the RT-D article the mcallister's there just decided to close shop. They didn't provide a reason.

On a completely different note, this past week I checked out La'V's Homemade dining at 1823 E Main St. in the bottom, and I must say La'V knows how to fix some amazing soul food and the personalities there will surely remind you of your grandma. She's very customer friendly and I seriously doubt you will finish all of the food on your plate, much less make it to the mouth watering dessert offerings...If only I worked downtown, then I would visit there for lunch on occasion (I must stick around my office in The Fan)...

Jason, I've heard also that food at LaV's is delicious. But have also heard that service is very slow.

Does anyone know if BOJANGLES, the enclosed place in the food court at Blues Armory, is open or closed or under a new name? I had heard that it had shuttered, but a recent article about jazz spots in Richmond listed a place with a different name at that location.

Thanks for the welcome back. Although, I've never posted here prior to now. Even though I joined over 3 yrs ago :)

Jason, I've heard also that food at LaV's is delicious. But have also heard that service is very slow.

Well, if you have to put soul into a meal, then it's going to take a while...haha.

It's not the fastest place, but that probably depends on what you order. For instance, the fried chicken, while amazing, takes 20 minutes b/c you get 1/2 of a good-size chicken.

Thanks for the welcome back. Although, I've never posted here prior to now. Even though I joined over 3 yrs ago :)

Well, if you have to put soul into a meal, then it's going to take a while...haha.

It's not the fastest place, but that probably depends on what you order. For instance, the fried chicken, while amazing, takes 20 minutes b/c you get 1/2 of a good-size chicken.

Brent has been looking for good fried chicken. This is another reminder, Brent, to try LaV's. :)

Cassia, I note you liked RACINE. I think I read recently that it just underwent a management change. Is it still French with a strong provencal accent? I wanted to try it out while I was there (I live in Manhattan), but the opportunity did not arise. Some have said that smoke from the bar is almost overwhelming. Tell us of your impressions.

I really liked SENSI.

Have you check MILLIE'S yet? If not, put it on your "to try" list. Also, JULEP'S in The Bottom is quite good, Request an upstairs table.

And POMEGRANATE in The Slip is one of the best.

:) . So glad to have you aboard. Mr. and Mrs. Bugsy contribute from time to time and there are other regulars who visit often. And I hope "Check please" can be enticed back for comments.

thanks for the welcome, burt! i actually went to racine back in march, when i was visiting richmond to look at housing. haven't been back yet, as i try to visit a different place each time i dine out [there are exceptions, though. been to bacchus and sensi a handful of times]. i remember that it was pretty quiet for a saturday night so there wasn't any smoke from the bar. whenever i make it back there, i hope they still have the coquilles st. jacques.

i sure miss manhattan!!! i'm pretty impressed by the dining in richmond, and i can't wait to try all these places!

Hahaha, Cassia. Remember: there's Jet Blue for inexpensive trips back to Manhattan. Pity it goes to JFK only, but try the Air Train from the terminal to Jamaica station and switch to the E train. $7.50 total!

I liked BACCHUS at Meadow and Main when I was there a few years ago and understand that it's still a quality stop.

Just read a review from last week in Style Weekly that I had somehow overlooked. It is about brunch at THE DINING ROOM AT THE BERKELEY HOTEL in Shockoe Slip. Writer Joseph Cates says it's Richmond only AAA 4-diamond restaurant. Maybe, but LEMAIRE at the Jefferson ranks five diamonds, if I am not mistaken, and four stars from Mobil.

Anyway, THE BERKELEY is truly superb. Not your pressed-jeans, polo shirt type of place, but dressy and polished. Cates raves about Sunday brunch ($32.95 with champagne, $27.95 without), but dinner there is quite special, too. Put it on your list.

Though ownership at RACINE'S has changed, I believe it has the original chef on premises.

From my understanding, the Berkeley is 5 stars, but that is for the hotel, not the restaurant.

Speaking of Bojangles, i surely do miss them. Every chance i can, i would buy the sweet tea and chicken/dirty rice whenever i run into a Bojangles. The nearest one is down in the hampton roads area. You can't believe the many times i have driven down just to have it. I wonder why they closed?

and, who wants to join me in opening it back up in the Richmond area????

Style's Brandon Reynolds and Amy Biegelsen speak on POPKIN TAVERN and TARRANT'S DRUG. They are within two blocks of one another on West Broad TARRANT'S at #1 W. Broad (at Foushee) and POPKIN at 123 W. Broad (at Jefferson).

Brandon paints a neat, if a bit convoluted, account of POPKIN's appeal saying "Retro lighting fixtures play up the furniture store background of POPKIN TAVERN." He continues: "Great fries, quesadillas a little limp. But Popkin Tavern, for having a hole-in-the-wall of a name, is more a cathedral of spirits. Until it figures out exactly what its religion is, it's enough to play a little pool with people who exist for just this sort of thing."

Biegelsen found TARRANT'S DRUG pretty much to her liking. She says "Guests coming in for dinner ranged from students to senior citizens. Both seemed to belong, sort of." The food, she says, "ranging from sandwiches to seafood is good and very reasonably priced, but not fancy enough to be formal."

From my understanding, the Berkeley is 5 stars, but that is for the hotel, not the restaurant.

Speaking of Bojangles, i surely do miss them. Every chance i can, i would buy the sweet tea and chicken/dirty rice whenever i run into a Bojangles. The nearest one is down in the hampton roads area. You can't believe the many times i have driven down just to have it. I wonder why they closed?

and, who wants to join me in opening it back up in the Richmond area????

dklee, have you tried CROAKER'S SPOT at 2nd and Leigh Streets? They used to operate BOJANGLES -- not the fast food place but the soul food restaurant at 6th and Marshall Streets which closed not long ago. I wonder if CROAKER'S serves up dirty rice?

No, neither THE BERKELEY Hotel nor restaurant boasts five diamonds or stars. Only four of each. THE JEFFERSON HOTEL is one of only 37 five star (Mobil) hotels in North America and only one of 27 claiming five diamonds (AAA) AND five stars (Mobil).

Edited by burt

dklee, have you tried CROAKER'S SPOT at 2nd and Leigh Streets? They used to operate BOJANGLES -- not the fast food place but the soul food restaurant at 6th and Marshall Streets which closed not long ago. I wonder if CROAKER'S serves up dirty rice?

No, neither THE BERKELEY Hotel nor restaurant boasts five diamonds or stars. Only four of each. THE JEFFERSON HOTEL is one of only 37 five star (Mobil) hotels in North America and only one of 27 claiming five diamonds (AAA) AND five stars (Mobil).

Croaker's spot? i have heard of it.. never tried it. i think restaurant.com had some 50% off deal... maybe give it a shot....

Croaker's spot? i have heard of it.. never tried it. i think restaurant.com had some 50% off deal... maybe give it a shot....

If you like good old southern soul food you"ll love CROCKER'S SPOT.

Another good southern style place is THE CORNER BAR AND GRILL at 1301 West Leigh Street. Put it on your list.

Edited by burt

Ate at Juleps for the first time last night and I've got to say that I think it has the best ambience of anywhere I've been in Richmond. If I had a friend come to town from D.C. or New York, that would definitely be my first stop for dinner.

I really enjoyed my meal there. It was on Halloween (Tuesday) and there were very few diners there. Was there a good crowd last night? And did you look across the street and note that jacqueomo's is closed?

It was a very rainy Wednesday night and the streets were pretty deserted, but there were three other parties upstairs and two downstairs. Pretty good for the night before Thanksgiving.

Our table looked out the windows at Jacquemo's, which had its exterior light on but was otherwise deserted. I never realized what a big restaurant that was.

It was a very rainy Wednesday night and the streets were pretty deserted, but there were three other parties upstairs and two downstairs. Pretty good for the night before Thanksgiving.

Our table looked out the windows at Jacquemo's, which had its exterior light on but was otherwise deserted. I never realized what a big restaurant that was.

:cry: Jacqueomo's looked larger than it actually was. The building began its restaurant life as Awful Arthur's. My lady friend and I ate there on a Saturday night in October and about half the tables were full. After our good meal, we strolled down to "Haunts of Richmond" and got in the waiting line for the "Old Richmond" themed spook show. That was fun.

There were three parties upstairs at JULEP'S on Halloween night (Tuesday), but none downstairs, except a couple at the bar. I had eaten there alone at 5:30PM on a previous visit and, not surprisingly, the place was practically empty at that early hour. But they were setting up for a party of eight and the Maitre'd told me they expected a pretty good house. From what I've heard, it does good weekend business and offers valet parking. I hope it thrives, because it is so good.