Richmond Dining-Out scene

burt

IMO, a lot of locals delight in putting down THE TOBACCO COMPANY in Shockoe Slip. While I'm not defending it as one of the top dining spots in Richmond, any restaurant that packs 'em in for 40 years, retains its uniquely charming premises while serving up decent food has a lot going for it. With four floors providing conviviality and good times, THE TOBACCO COMPANY is a crown jewel in Richmond's tourism industry.

But, there's room for improvement everywhere in this world. Karri Peifer's story in today's Richmond dot com discusses new menu items offered by the new chef at TC and they sound very tempting to me.

I'm one of the faithful old folk who was considerably younger in TC's early days. I liked it at the beginning and still do on my occasional Richmond visits. I can't wait to try the new cuisine.

http://www2.richmond.com/content/2010/jun/22/new-menu-tobacco-co/

Style Weekly's Deveron Timberlake reports in the current issue that Eric Ripert, renown French chef of LE BERNADINE in New York City, brought a TV crew to Virginia to tape some footage for the PBS series "Avec Eric" which will air in early fall.

While in Richmond M. Ripert, who is one handsome guy, teamed up with his friend and local celebrity chef Jimmy Snead. The two dined and imbibed at these local restaurants:

LEMAIRE in The Jefferson Hotel.

COMFORT in The Gallery District on the corner of Jefferson and West Broad Streets.

CARENA's JAMAICAN GRILLE at 7102 Midlothian Turnpike.

And they also enjoyed cappuccinos at the trendy LAMPLIGHTER ROASTING COMPANY on the fringe of The Fan at 116 South Addison Street.

Norfolk, Newport News, Virginia Beach and Williamsburg all have Indian restaurants called NAWAB. They, and another in Raleigh called AZITRA, are sister operations to newly opened LEHJA in Richmond.

Dana Craig's first review in the newly formatted on-line RTD is all about this new sub-continent addition to Richmond's cuilinary scene.

LEHJA earns three-and-a-half stars from Dana.

If I interpret the address correctly, it occupies leased space on the ground floor of the new Sierra Hotel at Short Pump Town Center -- in the area of California Pizza Kitchen and Dick's sporting goods store.

Here's Dana's coverage of the upscale restaurant and its sumptious menu:

http://www2.timesdis...ne24-ar-229999/

LEHJA

Dana's rating: 3 & 1/2 stars

11800 West Broad Street (a truly misleading street address for this restaurant in the Sierra Hotel at Short Pump Town Center)

804/363-1111 (it might be wise to call for exact location in the event I've misinterpreted the site)

http://www.lehja.com (the map in the website is certainly no help!)

Noise level: average

Tab for two: $64

There is a slideshow in the "related" box.

PS to Dana: I'm still waiting for your Happy Hour column.:alc:.

Edited by burt

Two items in Melissa Ruggieri's Table Talk column attracted my eye today:

#1. Adam Richman's TV show called MAN vs FOOD will air an episode on The Travel Channel Wednesday, September 30th about three Richmond restaurants.

Richman was in town a month or so ago to sample the cruelly hot wings at CALIENTE in The Museum District at Park Avenue and Sheppard Street. He also checked out BUZ and NED's REAL BARBECUE on the Boulevard north of West Broad Street, and THE BLACK SHEEP in the Carver District at West Marshall and Goshen Streets.

#2. AMOUR WINE BISTRO has opened at 3129 West Cary Street and will serve from 5:30PM 'til 10PM (or later) Tuesdays thru Saturdays and will offer Sunday brunch between 11:30AM and 3PM on Sundays.

Master Chef Paul Elbling. who introduced Richmond to a culinary level it had never known with his LA PETITE FRANCE several decades ago, has a hand in the new Carytown venture.

LA PETITE FRANCE closed a few years ago. I am not sure of Chef Paul's exact involvement with AMOUR WINE BISTRO but suspect it is in an advisory capacity.

Edited by burt

Burt said :

Norfolk, Newport News, Virginia Beach and Williamsburg all have Indian restaurants called NAWAB. They, and another in Raleigh called AZITRA, are sister operations to newly opened LEHJA in Richmond.

Hey they have a NAWAB here in Santa Monica two blocks from me (not related to the ones in Virginia). This must be a popular Indian restaurant name. Even though every time I walk by its always empty! I really don't know how they stay in business. :dontknow:

SALLY BELL's KITCHEN has been operating out of the ground floor of a town house near VCU for as long as I can remember.

The "home" store is still at 708 West Grace Street, but for the first time in its history it has expanded operations.

While maintaining the midtown location, SALLY BELL's also is now ensconced, on a seasonal basis, in a newly built kiosk on the shore of Fountain Lake at Byrd Park.

In addition to offering its famous cupcakes, potato salad, etc., it has added ice cream, hot dogs and hamburgers to its Byrd Park menu. It also runs the paddle boat concession.

Check out the slideshow from Richmond dot com:

http://www2.richmond...ells-byrd-park/

And a word about the fountain in the middle of the lake. It used to be illuminated after dark with changing colors. I understand that it is no longer lit -- probably due to city budgetary concerns. It and an avenue of crepe myrtle trees in Byrd Park between the reservoir and the Carillon are two of my fond Richmond memories.

Edited by burt

CineBistro opens next Friday at Peninsula Town Center in Hampton and is the first in the chain to offer bowling.

Will CineBistro which is expected to open soon at Stony Point Fashion Park in Richmond have the same amenities?

Here's a story from The Virginian Pilot of the Hampton operation:

http://hamptonroads....-movie-and-bowl

Edited by burt

Don't know if this has been mentioned but it looks like Pescado's in Midlothian might be looking to move a bit more west to Westcheser Commons.

http://www.facebook....123416014343118

Looking at that facebook page almost makes me wonder if PESCADOS' owner Todd Manley is putting us on about an Oregon Hill operation (see my entry 9 postings above.)

A quick scan of the facebook page does not mention an in-town operation.

When I called the Midlothian restaurant early in the week inquiring about an RTD news report by Lou Llovio of an opening in the city, the young lady who answered was somewhat vague. She said that the Oregon Hill location had no telephone number in spite of reports of an impending opening.

:dontknow:

Looking at that facebook page almost makes me wonder if PESCADOS' owner Todd Manley is putting us on about an Oregon Hill operation (see my entry 9 postings above.)

A quick scan of the facebook page does not mention an in-town operation.

When I called the Midlothian restaurant early in the week inquiring about an RTD news report by Lou Llovio of an opening in the city, the young lady who answered was somewhat vague. She said that the Oregon Hill location had no telephone number in spite of reports of an impending opening.

:dontknow:

Burt, go back to my facebook link. Click on discussions or some other link and then click back on the wall link. It will update the wall to show current posts. You will see that the Oregon Hill operation is now opened for dinner.

Edit - I made it easy and added a link for you.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Midlothian-VA/PESCADOS/110654701213?v=wall&story_fbid=123416014343118#!/pages/Midlothian-VA/PESCADOS/110654701213?v=wall&ajaxpipe=1&__a=6

Edited by NYCJSW

Burt, go back to my facebook link. Click on discussions or some other link and then click back on the wall link. It will update the wall to show current posts. You will see that the Oregon Hill operation is now opened for dinner.

Edit - I made it easy and added a link for you.

http://www.facebook....jaxpipe=1&__a=6

Well, NYCJSW I certainly appreciate your clarification about PESCADOS on China Street. And I apologize to Todd Manley for my doubts.

So, everybody:

PESCADOS is now open and serving at the new location in Oregon Hill. It is in the former Hollywood Grill at the corner of China and Pine Streets which, I believe, contrary to a facebook note, is one block NORTH (not South) of Mamma Zu (I may be wrong -- maybe one of you readers could clarify.)

The phone number for PESCADOS in Oregon Hill is 804-644-3474. Call to inquire about their Tuesday night special!

Decades ago palm trees -- even palmettos -- never grew north of the Carolinas. Now, they are all over the ocean strip at Virginia Beach. I've even seen them along the New Jersey coast.

Not to be outdone, Richmond has joined the list of cities with sub-tropical foliage. l've heard you can spot a few palm trees in front of the new Mexican restaurant at the former Max & Erma's near the Westin Hotel on West Broad at I-64.:camera:

HOORAY!!!

Style Weekly's Deveron Timberlake has a nice story in her current Short Order column verifying that, yes, PESCADORS is alive and well on China Street and receiving guests.

Congratulations to Todd Manley, business partner Bob Windsor and chef Loretta Lane-Montano.

http://www.styleweek...9D3430288834D1D

Edited by burt

Switch on The Travel Channel tonight (June 30th) at 9PM and watch Adam Richman's MAN vs FOOD episode shot in Richmond.

Also, KUBA KUBA at Lombardy Street and Park Avenue in The Fan wins the Food Network Magazine's award for best breakfast in Virginia -- California Huevos Rancheros.

From today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdis...BA30-ar-259949/

Edited by burt
  • Like 1

Anybody remember the 'Annabel Lee' (Riverboat Cruise) which bolted for Washington DC during tough economic times? Well another boat is about to take its place!

The owner of White House Catering (David Napier) on Main St is renovating a 76'x20' boat called 'Celebration' with plans to sail out of Rocketts Landing for Dinner Cruises by the end of July!

Even though it is not nearly as big as the Annabel Lee this is a welcome addition back to the riverfront!

http://www.styleweekly.com/ME2/dirmod.asp?sid=&nm=&type=Publishing&mod=Publications%3A%3AArticle&mid=8F3A7027421841978F18BE895F87F791&tier=4&id=0B725E395193429A85FDE1B8F834B645

It looks like the Shackleford's which recently opened in Midlothian is closed. There are paper signs on the doors stating what looks like the landlord has locked them out. It states something about if anyone needs to gain access to the building to call a phone number etc. I assume the other location is still opened. The restaurant website only lists the one location. I always find it strange that restaurants open and put tons of $$$$ into getting their space ready but seem to pull out so quick. Having had a really bad dinner at the original Shackeford's I never thought adding a second one was a great idea.

Finally ate at that Shackleford's a month or so ago -- that place was horrible.

On an unrelated note, has anybody gotten the chance to partake from this establishment? Boka Truck

:lol: BOKA TRUCK sounds like fun. It seems to avoid downtown except for the Biotech area if I'm reading its itinerary correctly.

Edited by burt

Get your Celtic on.

At first, when seeing Dana Craig's RTD entry yesterday I thought maybe she was delivering her Happy Hour piece.

But no, this a full fledged review of a new restaurant in the Fan. And, in light of ABC's former restrictive use of words like "bar", etc. it is amazing to see WHISKY in the name of this establishment.

Mac McCormack has operated an Irish Pub on 18th Street in Shockoe Bottom for a number of years. Recently, he launched his new Fan District venture called McCORMACK's WHISKY GRILL & SMOKEHOUSE in a building on Robinson Street between Grove and Hanover Avenues.

If you want top of the line single malt whiskys or whiskeys with an "e" you're sure to find them at Mac's bar. But be forewarned: while most are reasonably priced some sell for twenty bucks a shot. AND, Mac doesn't accept credit cards. Make sure your wallet is full of cash when you drop in for a nip paired with some interesting menu offerings.

Here's Dana's review with slideshow from yesterday's RTD:

http://www2.timesdis...ne01-ar-260925/

McCORMACK's WHISKY GRILL & SMOKEHOUSE

Dana's Rating: 3 stars

204 North Robinson Street in The Fan District

Mac doesn't accept credit cards, nor does he take reservations. Thus, Cash only and no phone

He's working on a web site that's not up yet: http://www.whiskygrill.com

Noise level: Low to average

Open daily from 5:30PM 'til 2AM

Tab for two: $66

Edited by burt

:lol: BOKA TRUCK sounds like fun. It seems to avoid downtown except for the Biotech area if I'm reading its itinerary correctly.

Someone told me that it visits the Martin Agency semi-regularly. I'm keeping my mind open.

On a much less interesting truck-related note, there is now a Chik-Fil-A truck that pulls up beside One James Center during lunch hours and sells sandwiches, etc. Too bad they won't just open a restaurant in the bottom of the WM building.

I miss working downtown...

I was hoping your company was planning to move back downtown.

Tonight is First Friday in the Gallery District. Why not go out for dinner at TARRANT's, BISTRO 27, POPKIN's TAVERN, CHEZ FOUSHEE, BELVIDERE ON BROAD or LEMAIRE. Then maybe see SOUND OF MUSIC at The Empire Theatre or RENT at The Firehouse?

Have you ever heard of http://www.2bnb.org?

Calling itself "To the Bottom and Back" It is a fleet of three or so buses that transport bar-hoppers from Elwood Thompson's parking lot at the top of Carytown all the way to Shockoe Bottom. It operates primarily from about 6PM 'til 3AM Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays. $3.00 donations are requested. The buses stop all along the route and can be tracked on your blueberry and/or other devices.

It also operates on special occasions such as the vastly popular RVALOUTION party every Tuesday at The Hat Factory.

I hope they expand the routes from other locations around the city and include stops at The Landmark, The National and Richmond Center Stage.

They have a face book page with several thousand fans.

Sounds like a super idea to keep drunk drivers off the road. :thumbsup:

Edited by burt