Richmond Dining-Out scene

burt

Here's a new one discovered by Style's Deveron Timberlake; MS MAGGIE'S SEAFOOD RESTAURANT AND JAZZ LOUNGE in Jackson Ward at 114 Wast Clay Street.

http://styleweekly.c...9D3430288834D1D

Incidentally, Chris Brown who scarfs down hamburgers with his entourage at JOHNNY ROCKET'S, apparently has time between community service gigs to do a 19 city tour beginning in Houston. All of the venues he will play are in the mid-range size, which includes an appearance at The Landmark Theatre in Richmond at 6PM Sunday November 22nd.

Edited by burt

• 2 weeks later...

Dana Craig of the RTD tried out PLAZA MEXICO in the Fan and while it's no Rosa Mexicano, Dana found it quite satisfying. It's in the building formerly occupied by CIRRUS:

PLAZA MEXICO

Dana's rating: 3 stars

1731 West Main Street

804/278-9944

Noise level: Average

Smoke-free

Tab for two: $32

Here are restaurant tid bits from Melissa Ruggieri's Table Talk column in this week's RTD as well as some of my own comments:

A third major steakhouse will join Richmond's Morton's and Ruth's Chris when SHULA'S STEAK HOUSE opens at the Hilton Town Center on December 1st. Shula operates three levels of restaurants and this one is at the top. A second level SHULA'S with a sports bar has been the main restaurant for a few years at Sheraton Hotel West across from Altria Headquarters on West Broad near I-64. The newest one at The Hilton in Town Center West is just beyond Short Pump Town Center.

The former Easy Street at 2401 West Main in The Fan reopens today as F.W. SULLIVAN'S BAR AND GRILL. I bet a quarter this long moniker will shorten to SULLIVAN'S, or even SULLY'S by the end of today. thumbsup.gif

Some people spread word that SENSI has been limping toward closure. Not so! It's gearing up for heavy business from The General Assembly delegates who have been an annual mainstay of the restaurant's business. Located in Tobacco Row's River Loft building at 23rd and East Cary Street, SENSI is offering special treats Mondays thru Fridays as well as Happy Hour in the elegant bar. There's free parking for patrons in the lot across Cary Street. Be sure to remind the Maitre d' or your waiter.

The always crowded and popular Bookbinder's is a block or two east of SENSI on Tobacco Row.

Edited by burt

Here's a new one discovered by Style's Deveron Timberlake; MS MAGGIE'S SEAFOOD RESTAURANT AND JAZZ LOUNGE in Jackson Ward at 114 Wast Clay Street.

Incidentally, Chris Brown, required by law to reside in Richmond after his Los Angles troubles, scarfs down hamburgers with his entourage at JOHNNY ROCKET'S. Apparently he has time between community service gigs to do a 19 city tour beginning in Houston. All of the venues he will play are in the mid-range size, which includes an appearance at The Landmark Theatre in Richmond at 6PM Sunday November 22nd.

I've had a hankering for prime rib, and tonight friends have invited me to celebrate the end of a run with dinner at Keene's Steak House on West 36th Street. It's one of the really old chop houses in NYC. Their prime rib is what they call "English cut" -- on the bone and not overwhelmingly thick. Mutton chops are the house specialty, so that gives you a clue to its British heritage.

===========================================================================================

9:30PM (God's time) Correction: Just got back and the English Cut is the special in their pub room on the 2nd floor. Elsewhere in the large 3-story restaurant full 22 ounce and larger cuts are available. We had the larger cuts, salads, wine, sides and apres brandies for a total (including tax and 25% tip) of $210. I've paid more than that at Ruth's Chris and Morton's in Richmond.

Try it next you're in the city: Keene's Steak House, 76 West 36th between 5th and 6th Avenues. And if you're sensitive to crowd noise request a tabe in "the tower" on the 3rd floor.

Edited by burt

I haven't read any reviews nor heard comments about THE GREAT AMERICAN GRILL at Downtown's Hilton Garden Inn, but it is rumored that the kitchen prepares recipes from old Miller & Rhoads Tea Room. I recall items such as Turkey Pot Pie and chocolate silk pie.

We might try it out on December 23rd between a 2PM matinee of "The Nutcracker" at The Carpenter Theatre and a 7PM performance of the Radio City Christmas show at The Coliseum.

Here's a very up-to-date report on the Richmond restaurant scene from Karri Peifer writing for Richmond dot com:

http://social.richmond.com/blog/kpeifer/2009/11/dish-the-quick-the-dirty/

I was saddened to read that RICHBRAU BREWERY at 13th and Cary Streets in The Slip has closed its adjacent restaurant called TAPHOUSE GRILL as well as the second floor dance club. I assume the ground-floor portion of The Brewery is still operating.

Has anyone tried out BOUCHON across Cary Street from RICHBRAU?

You know I won't be surprised if Richbrau reopens Taphouse and the upstairs bar. There's little to no coverage of it besides in River District News and I would think if they were truly closing these areas, they would have made some sort of announcement being such a long-standing restaurant in Richmond. I have a hunch that they are retrofitting for the smoking ban but I could be wrong.

Here's a very up-to-date report on the Richmond restaurant scene from Karri Peifer writing for Richmond dot com:

http://social.richmond.com/blog/kpeifer/2009/11/dish-the-quick-the-dirty/

I was saddened to read that RICHBRAU BREWERY at 13th and Cary Streets in The Slip has closed its adjacent restaurant called TAPHOUSE GRILL as well as the second floor dance club. I assume the ground-floor portion of The Brewery is still operating.

Has anyone tried out BOUCHON across Cary Street from RICHBRAU?

I ate lunch at Bouchon on Tuesday and was very pleasantly surprised. Much more light and airy than Pomegranate and has a very non-Richmond feel (in a good way). I had the croque monsieur with frites for $12, which was excellent. It was fairly busy for lunch and has been the last few times I have walked by.

Dana Craig and I concur about T. MILLER'S at The downtown Marriott. A friend and I went there on Grand Opening of the nearby Center Stage. She had cat fish and loved it (but she'd love it anywhere) and I had the toughest piece of prime rib imaginable. We began the evening on the patio but were forced into the noisy interior when rain began to fall. Now, my friend is very particular about her cocktail. She ordered a gin martini, extra dry, up and with an olive. For unknown reasons, she was served a "dirty" martini -- full of murky olive juice. The inexperienced server replaced it, and when he asked how I enjoyed my gnawed-on prime rib, I told him as politely as I could and later discovered it had been removed from the bill.

This new restaurant at The Marriott is named to honor the former department stores across Broad Street -- Miller & Rhoads and Thlhimers.

The theatre district is in dire need of a first-class dining option.

T MILLERS SPORTS BAR AND GRILL

500 East Broad Street (at the 6th Street end of the hotel lobby -- across from a new Starbucks)

Dana's rating: One star

804/648-2255

http://www.tmillerssportsbar.com

Noise level: High

Smoke-free

Tab for two: $35

Edited by burt

You know I won't be surprised if Richbrau reopens Taphouse and the upstairs bar. There's little to no coverage of it besides in River District News and I would think if they were truly closing these areas, they would have made some sort of announcement being such a long-standing restaurant in Richmond. I have a hunch that they are retrofitting for the smoking ban but I could be wrong.

Reports of RICHBRAU BREWERY's demise have been exaggerated according to Michael Byrne, owner of the property. He is quoted thusly in River District News:

"As the owner of Richbrau I would like to say we have downsized to our original footprint. The first floor dining room and the pub have been renovated and are open seven days a week. The upstairs is alive and well and newly renovated as well but we did close the dance club that was only open on Friday and Saturday nights. We moved most of the games into the first two spaces and added additional seating for a more customer friendly atmosphere. We did close our small boutique Taphouse Grill restaurant and we are concentrating on the Richbrau property which is now fully renovated and good for lunch dinner or a night out for fun. DJ still plays Friday and Saturday from 9:30 to close. Questions then call us 644-3018."

Edited by burt

John Haddad writing for Style Weekly hints that the new AZTEC GRILL on the corner of 18th and Main Streets in Shockoe Bottom has achieved note worthiness among local Mexican restaurants. Its menu offers unfamiliar South-of-the-Border taste pleasers as well as the usual salsa and chip variety. Like many Latino establishments in Richmond, however, AZTEC is not generous with cilentro in its dips.

It occupies the long-vacant corner spot which I recall had a raised sidewalk patio.

AZTEC GRILL is open daily from 11AM and serves until 2AM on Fridays and Saturdays.

AZTEC GRILL

1726 East Main Street in Shockoe Bottom

804/225-7208

Richmond restaurant names are running the gamut of Internationalism - Balliceaux, Buchon, Sensi, d33, Osaka, Que Pasa, Texas de Brasil, etc.

Now, entering stage right is BONVENU which translates to "welcome" in stop.gif Esperanto.

Style Weekly's Deveron Timberlake says she mentioned a few weeks ago that one of my favorites in Carytown was closing. I had heard it was taking a hiatus but am surprised to learn that Chris Liles had sold TRACK.

Its new owners, a pair of sisters named Anne Stewart and Susan Doyle, are gussying up the place and hope to have BONVENU at 2915 West Cary Street ready for guests by the Holiday season.

Ms Doyle strengthened her chef abilities at Stronghill on North Boulevard.

Speaking of reclaimed properties, REPUBLIC in the former Cabo's at 2053 West Broad Street is about to open its doors.

And when is Mo Roman's new place on the ground floor of Berry Burk at 6th and Grace Streets going to open? A really good restaurant near Center Stage is sorely needed, IMO.

Two restaurants in Richmond have received AAA's 4-star rating: 1 NORTH BELMONT on Belmont Avenue near Carytown and THE DINING ROOM AT THE BERKELEY HOTEL in Shockoe Slip at 1200 East Cary Street.

A few weeks ago AAA awarded its top five star rating to The Jefferson Hotel at Adams and Franklin Streets and it has now announced four-star ratings for The Westin Hotel, The Berkeley Hotel and Wyndham Virginia Crossing Hotel and Conference Center.

From today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/business/local/article/B-AAAA20_20091119-221202/306836/

There are two recent closings to announce -- both in the vicinity of Huguenot Road and Midlothian Tpk:

CATURA at Alversa Plaza (there are still two or three other Caturas in Metro Richmond, the most recent near the area known as On the Avenues near Grove and Libby.)

Also, after 22 years of operation, SPINNAKER in Chesterfield Town Center has called it quits.

This is my 10,000th post on Urban Planet, moving me up from a Metropolitan to a Megalopolis contributor! smile.gif

REPUBLIC, the new spot at West Broad and Allison Streets, is open for the throngs. According to Style Weekly's Deveron Timberlake it's a lot bigger than most would think. And plans include gobbling up ENOTECA SOGNO, the neat wine bar and trattoria next door.

From the current Style Weekly:

Edited by burt

Dana Craig, dining-out critic of The Richmond Times Dispatch, provides us with her list of highly rated restaurants in Metro Richmond:

http://www2.timesdis...-144406/307848/

Although The Boathouse at Rocketts Landing is on the list between two other 3 and 1/2 star restaurants, there obviously is an editing problem.

Edited by burt

Contributor jbjust had a very pleasing lunch at BISTRO BOUCHON as he reported on the previous page.

Now, here's RTD critic Dana Craig's 3-and-a-half-star take on the new French Provencal bistro in Shockoe Slip:

http://www2.timesdis...he_slip/307936/

BISTRO BOUCHON (formerly known as Pomegranate)

1209 East Cary Street in Shockoe Slip

Dana's rating: Three and a half stars (her top rating is four stars)

804/225-9116

http://www.bistrobuchon.com

Noise level: Average

Vegetarian options available

Smoke-free

Tab for two: $90

Dinner service begins at 5PM, so it's a sure thing my group will be dining there on December 23rd between the ballet matinee at the Carpenter Theatre and the 7PM performance of The Radio City Spectacular at The Coliseum.

Dana's slideshow, melodically scored, is quite nice, but unfortunately, I am unable to pull up the restaurant's website.

Happy Thanksgiving, all. I'm off to a feast in Chelsea. smile.gif

Edited by burt

I had a terrible meal at Republic, but the place had just opened so I may give it another chance. I'm really irritated that they made a smoking section. What's worse, they gave the smoking side the prime corner location. One needs to walk through the smoking section to get to the (decrepit) bathrooms. Richmond has gotten used to waiting until after dinner to smoke. Most places have phased in a no smoking policy over the past few years (no smoking until after 10 or 11 for example). Republic wouldn't have lost any customers by having the place completely smoke free but I think that they will alienate the bulk of the dining public that prefers eating in smoke free air.

Did I mention that food was bad and the menu uninspiring? The staff (Starlight veterans) was very friendly though

Virginia's watered-down rules about smoking in restaurants goes into effect Tuesday, December 1st.

Read Brent's comments above about REPUBLIC to see how some businesses are handling the matter. If the prime corner spot at REPUBLIC is reserved for smokers it seems, IMO, tobacco users will be given preferencial treatment.

Here in New York smoking in bars and restaurants is illegal. It's rare to see restaurant customers in large numbers out on the street puffing away; yet, it's common in front of bars.

From todays RTD:

http://www2.times.dispatch.com/rtd/business/local/article/SMOK29_20091128-221603/308436/

Virginia's watered-down rules about smoking in restaurants goes into effect Tuesday, December 1st.

Read Brent's comments above about REPUBLIC to see how some businesses are handling the matter. If the prime corner spot at REPUBLIC is reserved for smokers it seems, IMO, tobacco users will be given preferencial treatment.

Here in New York smoking in bars and restaurants is illegal. It's rare to see restaurant customers in large numbers out on the street puffing away; yet, it's common in front of bars.

From todays RTD:

http://www2.times.dispatch.com/rtd/business/local/article/SMOK29_20091128-221603/308436/

While I don't like the government telling people what they are allowed to do with their property I can not wait for the smoking ban. This past weekend will be my last time having to smell like an ashtray while enjoying the company of friends in a bar...