Richmond Dining-Out scene

burt

During my recent trip to Richmond and The Northern Neck I dined at the following restaurants:

COAST on Grove near Libby.

SENSI in Tobacco Row.

HERMITAGE GRILL on the street of the same name in the Lakeside District.

ENOTECA SOGNO in the same block of West Broad as the former CABO's. (The latter is undergoing renovation.)

CHEZ FOUSHEE at Grace and Foushee Streets.

BANK at 1005 East Main and VAULT underneath it.

MICHELLE'S at Hanover Tavern.

BERKLEY HOTEL DINING ROOM at 12th and Cary in The Slip.

And I think I've got the name right - SEVEN MARTINI'S in White Stone.

Food ranged from ordinary (HERMITAGE GRILL) to superb (SENSI, BANK, BERKLEY.) COAST was so-so (less seafood offerings than expected). ENOTECA SOGNO is a neat Trattoria owned by the man who runs COAST. Lunch at CHEZ FOUSHEE was fine as was brunch at MICHELLE'S. And the new-ish White Stone 7-MARTINI'S was excellent as I recall, although the cocktail glasses (cones placed in another glass filled with ice) were impossible to manipulate. The group at our table was so intriguing (a former and beautiful CIA operative, a well-known architect, plus more than one martini) distracted me from food quality, but I'm sure it was excellent. Since TRICK DOG is no longer in Irvington, those of you who frequented it may enjoy 7 MARTINI'S on the road to Windmill Point in the town of White Stone.

VAULT is a popular new spot underneath BANK (accessible via elevator and stairs.) Since it is strictly a bar/dance club, drink sales are limited to beer, wine and champaigne. But if you happen to have bought a cocktail upstairs it's my understanding you can carry it below to the club. When we left about 11PM, there was a long line waiting to enter. It is on two levels with a couple of VIP lounges on the top and a long bar and dance floor down a flight of stairs.

Oh! I forgot to mention dinner one night at BISTRO 27 at Broad and Adams Streets. It was excellent!

Edited by burt

They come and they go. Magnolia's Wine Bar and Bistro in the Village Shopping Center has called it quits after about 8 months of operation.

But our friend, Dana Craig writing for the RTD, was urged to try a new eatery further west in The Gayton Crossing Shopping Center and liked it so much she awarded it 3 stars. Like the former Magnolia's it also has the words "Wine Bar" in its name.

EURASIA CAFE WINE BAR

3 Stars

1308 Gaskins Road at Gayton Crossing

804/740-2525

http://www.eurasiarich.com

Noise level: average to high

Smoke free

Tab for two: $69

Read Dana's full review and see her slide show:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/entertai...ptions/283014/s.

Edited by burt

PIE update:

When I had dinner at BANK last week, the guide who showed me around the downstairs VAULT dance club assured me that work is continuing behind the brown paper window wrappings at Berry Burk and that PIE (Mo Roman's newest Richmond Restsaurant) is on schedule to open by September 12th when the Performing Arts Center, diagonally across Grace Street, launches itself.

Considering the long delay at VAULT, we'll wait and see!

Edited by burt

PIE update:

When I had dinner at BANK last week, the guide who showed me around the downstairs VAULT dance club assured me that work is continuing behind the brown paper window wrappings at Berry Burk and that PIE (Mo Roman's newest Richmond Restsaurant) is on schedule to open by September 12th when the Performing Arts Center, diagonally across Grace Street, launches itself.

Considering the long delay at VAULT, we'll wait and see!

I hope they are right on that burt. Timing-wise it certainly does make more sense to wait until the Performing Arts Center is open instead of opening early and potentially struggling to draw folks to an otherwise deserted area. I hope Aurora and the couple other establishments in that stretch benefit from the foot traffic the PAC will bring in.

PEKING at 5716 Grove Avenue to close after 31 years.

This space formerly housed Richmond's most famous restaurant known as THE OCCIDENTAL when it moved from 8th Street between Broad and Grace to Westhampton. Sort of ironic that The Occidental was replaced by an Asian restaurant.

PEKING's closing "On the Avenues" is not from lack of business but due to wrangling with the landlord over lease renewal.

From the RTD:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/news/loc...-214603/282503/

Edited by burt

Another restaurant I forgot to list when describing my Richmond area trip was TAVERN ON THE RAILS in Fredericks Hall. I haven't the remotest idea of how to get there but know that we traveled a lot of back roads from Goshen Road in Beaver Dam through Bumpass and crossed from Hanover into Louisa County. It's in proximity to Lake Anna.

TAVERN ON THE RAILS is open on weekends only (Thursdays, thru Sundays). It's a charming place that serves up good food. If you can find it you'll probably enjoy it.

One clue is that it's on the Buckingham Rail Line (formerly C&O) that runs from Richmond to Doswell, Beaver Dam, Louisa, Gordonsville and Charlottesville. According to the restaurant manager, at one time there was a rail turn-table at Fredericks Hall.

Also, I think it's east of Rt. 522 near Mineral.

Edited by burt

I strolled through The Downtown Richmond Marriott and it looks as if the new STARBUCK'S as well as T. MILLER'S SPORTS BAR on the lobby level will be ready by late August.

There has been considerable rearrangement in the lobby and the bar.

Edited by burt

Here's Deveron Timberlake's entire, if brief, column from the current Style Weekly.

She talks of BOUCHON, the new Provencale French restaurant replacing Pomegranate in The Slip as well as THE BERKELEY HOTEL DINING ROOM's 20th anniversary promotion.

Deveron also lets us know of a new food operation in the lower lobby of The Edgeworth Building on Tobacco Row.

http://styleweekly.com/ME2/Audiences/dirmo...9D3430288834D1D

RT-D's restaurant critic, Dana Craig, rates LA CAVE as a 2-star operation. The small Carytown space proclaims itself "a wine bar", but offers little in the way of ambiance.

Some of the food is pretty tasty, though.

Here is Dana's review:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/entertai...-185003/284195/

LA CAVE

Dana's rating: 2-Stars

2925 West Cary Street

804/355-3131

Sound Level: Average, depending on capacity

Smoke Free

Tab for two: $30

Edited by burt

Signs have been up for Secco for what seem like years.... (speaking of Carytown, it was PACKED for the Watermelon Festival today).

Bouchon should be opening soon in the Slip.

And, I've heard there may be two potential tenants at Miller and Rhoads. Let's wait and see though!

Edited by wrldcoupe4

In addition to the update about BOUCHON by wrldcoupe4, there is another restaurant close to opening in The Slip. It is DORA'S BRAZILIAN CAFE in the former salon next to S'ine on Cary at 14th. It was previously announced as a churascaria (similar to suburban TEXAS DE BRASIL) offering a reasonable prix fixe menu under $30. I don't know if that is still the owner's intention, but it looked close to opening a couple of weeks ago.

Coupe, are the potential M&R tenants restaurant operators for the 6th and Grace and the 6th and Broad corners? Have you heard anything about the retail space at 5th and Grace?

A couple of weeks ago when I was in downtown Richmond I noticed a small group of individuals with clip boards looking carefully at some of the shops on East Grace between 5th and 6th (across from M&R Hilton Garden Inn.)

Edited by burt

Beat you Burt! Also, the old Bogarts location on Lombardy should be opening soon (if it hasn't already). I don't know the name however.

Yea, I drove by the old Bogart's site on Lombardy across from SI TAPAS recently and noticed work under way. If anybody has more information for us it will be appreciated.

Wonder if the "back room" will have jazz?

Meanwhile, how is BOGART's doing in its new-ish West Cary Street location?

In addition to the update about BOUCHON by wrldcoupe4, there is another restaurant close to opening in The Slip. It is DORA'S BRAZILIAN CAFE in the former salon next to S'ine on Cary at 14th. It was previously announced as a churascaria (similar to suburban TEXAS DE BRASIL) offering a reasonable prix fixe menu under $30. I don't know if that is still the owner's intention, but it looked close to opening a couple of weeks ago.

Coupe, are the potential M&R tenants restaurant operators for the 6th and Grace and the 6th and Broad corners? Have you heard anything about the retail space at 5th and Grace?

A couple of weeks ago when I was in downtown Richmond I noticed a small group of individuals with clip boards looking carefully at some of the shops on East Grace between 5th and 6th (across from M&R Hilton Garden Inn.)

Nothing like a huge Brazilian gorge-fest to draw the lunchtime crowd. :dontknow:

Old Bogarts is Balliceaaux...Opening August 14 pending ABC License.

Hahaha. It's a cinch not many people will be able to pronounce BALLICEAAUX.

Wonder what type of cuisine will be offered?

BALLICEAAUX is in the space formerly occupied by the old Bogart's on North Lombardy Street between Hanover and Grove Avenues in The Fan.

Edited by burt

I am going to The Boathouse at Rocketts Landing tonight for one of their two "pre-opening celebrations". An attendee last night told me the place was fantastic!

Can't wait to hear your report on THE BOATHOUSE AT ROCKETTS LANDING Henry. If you run into Bill and Josee Covington, and Judy Arenstein tell them Burt sends love. They both have penthouses there -- Judy in Th Skyline and Bill/Josee in Fall Line.

ZOUNDS! We've surpassed 150,000 viewers on this site.