Will there ever be a freeway in Florida?

gjoseph

Theve got all of the I-?95's covered in other states also, so you can have the designation.  Usually a loop bypass is designated with a 2 (i.e. 295) and the single bypass from the interstate to another area will be designated with a odd number in front of the interstate number (I-595, I-795, I-395).  I think that is how it goes.

Are you talking about 9B as the outer beltway?.  9B is currently under design, it will connect to 9A just south of baymeadows road and run into Northern St. Johns County.  They are then talking about another river crossing, between Shands and Buckman.  This road would eventually connect 9B to the whole BFC system which connects to I-10.  I'm not sure if this will ever get an interstate designation becuase BFC isn't as limited access as was originally intentioned by JTA/FDOT.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is the exact road that has the tenative designation of I-795 as the outer beltway of Jax.

As I understand it, BFC was originally designed to be built as a 4 lane Limited access highway, however the cost was higher than Clay County (along with St Johns and Duval to a degree) wanted to wait for the segment to be built as funding from the state was not identified.

Essentially at that point most of the right of way was purchased for a 4 lane Limited Access highway along the BFC section and the 9B section and a 2 lane road was constructed to get the link open along BFC. Jacksonville is in the process of expanding the Chaffee section and building 9B now (in one phase or another).

Clay and St John's are working with the Metropolitan Transportation Board (which Jax dominates) and the State to pick the route from BFC and Blanding to the interchange with 9B and I-95. On the table is a new river crossing north of Shands Bridge and south of the Buckman, or expanding/converting the Shands Bridge to be this link. That is where the discussions are at this stage as I understand it for the final major link of the outer beltway.

Funding is still pending on the Non-Jacksonville sections with a proposal of those being Toll roads to speed up the timetable of construction (Tolls have a very bad name in Jacksonville proper due to past history) It is my understanding that the portions of BFC that are direct access today would use service roads for that function. Who knows though what it will all look like when they finish it in 2030...

I do have the .info webpage from the DOT somewhere on this project, but will have to look for it.

FYI.. the bypasses/loops numbering for interstates is state specific, so you can have multiple i-x95's as long as each state only has one, but only one i-95 exists. Correct me if I am wrong please. IE: City to City links have 2 digit designations as I remembember, 3 digit ones are reserved for bypasses/loops.

I got bored one day and read the 20/30 year plan for the Jacksonville areas roadways from DOT.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Odd-numbered three-digit Interstates (3di's) are "spur routes" that travel into or away from the main interstate route (the 2di). I-195 and I-395 are spur routes in and out of Miami. I-595 is spur of I-95 in Fort Lauderdale. I-110 is a spur into Pensacola.

Even-numbered 3di's are loops, or beltways. I-295 goes around Jacksonville, and I-275 makes a loop about the Tampa Bay area.

It is also correct that there cannot be two separate 3di's with the same number in the same state.

Also, for 2di's, the rule is this: for odd-numbered (north-south) interstate highways, those that end in 5 generally travel across the entire country from north to south. I-95 begins in Miami and ends in Maine. One exception is I-85, which starts in Alabama and ends in Virginia.

Even-numbered (east-west) highways ending in 0 traverse from coast to coast. (I-10, I-20, etc.)

Also, for 2di's, the rule is this:  for odd-numbered (north-south) interstate highways, those that end in 5 generally travel across the entire country from north to south. I-95 begins in Miami and ends in Maine. One exception is I-85, which starts in Alabama and ends in Virginia.

Even-numbered (east-west) highways ending in 0 traverse from coast to coast. (I-10, I-20, etc.)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the clarification :thumbsup:

Odd-numbered three-digit Interstates (3di's) are "spur routes"  that travel into or away from the main interstate route (the 2di).  I-195 and I-395 are spur routes in and out of Miami.  I-595 is spur of I-95 in Fort Lauderdale. I-110 is a spur into Pensacola.

Even-numbered 3di's are loops, or beltways. I-295 goes around Jacksonville, and I-275 makes a loop about the Tampa Bay area.

It is also correct that there cannot be two separate 3di's with the same number in the same state.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I love this dude's brain! He has mad knowledge.

Archived