Viridian of Memphis

northernbizzkit1

It has finally been announced and released! Gene Carlisle (Wendy's franchise mogul) has finally made a more detailed plan on his tower for the site of the former No. 1 Beale. The plans are for a 25-27 story building that will be the "best building Memphis has ever had"!!!! This should be great for the area and Beale Street! Here is the link:

No. 1 Beale Plans

In a related story in the Memphis Flyer, I have heard that there are plans for a luxury hotel to go up at or near the site as well. This should be spectacular! There have been talks of a hotel on Beale, and this is certainly a way to start! Unfortunately, No. 1 Beale really isn't the Beale Street that one immediately thinks of. It's right by the river...o well! Still good for me! Might I also add that originally the Vue on Main was supposed to be a 21-25 story building, but now it is a 28 story tower...could one expect this building to top 30 stories?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Exciting news.  I'd like Tennessee to have two great skylines.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is good news. There's the 28 story MainVue deal and the twin 16 story Riverfront Towers, and now the 27 story One Beale deal. Interesting that all the proposals are for residential only--not sure when downtown Memphis will get a new office building; it's usually once a decade.

If you read the article, you'll notice that the proposal is in a historic district with height limits of 8 storys or 90 feet. I'm not sure what effect that has on height elsewhere in downtown Memphis, but at least in the South Main district--further south of the proposal--I doubt seriously that anyone could get a variance.

Best I can tell, the new tower will be across from the old Wagner Place condos built in 1983. The penthouse there was for sale for $1,300,000, so I think the market will support highend stuff.

It is good news.  There's the 28 story MainVue deal and the twin 16 story Riverfront Towers, and now the 27 story One Beale deal.  Interesting that all the proposals are for residential only--not sure when downtown Memphis will get a new office building; it's usually once a decade.

If you read the article, you'll notice that the proposal is in a historic district with height limits of 8 storys or 90 feet.  I'm not sure what effect that has on height elsewhere in downtown Memphis, but at least in the South Main district--further south of the proposal--I doubt seriously that anyone could get a variance.

Best I can tell, the new tower will be across from the old Wagner Place condos built in 1983.  The penthouse there was for sale for $1,300,000, so I think the market will support highend stuff.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I read somewhere that it should be fairly easy to get a height variance in that area, for it is considered the Sports&Entertainment District of downtown...the neighborhood wants that kind of stuff. Even though there was such an issue of making buildings blend with the heights of original Beale St. buildings (even though the Forum still towers a bit over the old buildings), the location of this tower isn't part of the Beale Street most people identify with. It is where Beale runs into Riverside Drive. It's across the street from where Beale Street Landing (shopping/restaurant/riverboat dock) will be located. This is basically an entirely separate part of Beale Street (the AutoZone HQ and the high-rise Waterford condominium building is in the area). I think a variance will come relatively easy.

I read somewhere that it should be fairly easy to get a height variance in that area, for it is considered the Sports&Entertainment District of downtown...the neighborhood wants that kind of stuff. Even though there was such an issue of making buildings blend with the heights of original Beale St. buildings (even though the Forum still towers a bit over the old buildings), the location of this tower isn't part of the Beale Street most people identify with. It is where Beale runs into Riverside Drive. It's across the street from where Beale Street Landing (shopping/restaurant/riverboat dock) will be located. This is basically an entirely separate part of Beale Street (the AutoZone HQ and the high-rise Waterford condominium building is in the area). I think a variance will come relatively easy.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think there will be a problem either. I was really referring to other areas of downtown.

It has finally been announced and released! Gene Carlisle (Wendy's franchise mogul) has finally made a more detailed plan on his tower for the site of the former No. 1 Beale. The plans are for a 25-27 story building that will be the "best building Memphis has ever had"!!!! This should be great for the area and Beale Street! Here is the link:

No. 1 Beale Plans

In a related story in the Memphis Flyer, I have heard that there are plans for a luxury hotel to go up at or near the site as well. This should be spectacular! There have been talks of a hotel on Beale, and this is certainly a way to start! Unfortunately, No. 1 Beale really isn't the Beale Street that one immediately thinks of. It's right by the river...o well! Still good for me! Might I also add that originally the Vue on Main was supposed to be a 21-25 story building, but now it is a 28 story tower...could one expect this building to top 30 stories?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is great news for memphis!!! I cant wait to see it!!!! I am actually going down there this weekend, only a 3 hour drive from nashville, going to go to the beale st festival. Is there an address to the proposed site for this building, i would love to post info on my page about this!!!

heres what the commercial appeal says

"Riverfront may get luxury condo tower

By Jane Roberts

Contact

April 28, 2005

Gene Carlisle, Wendy's magnate of the Mid-South, is poised to launch a "grand" 25-story condo tower at No. 1 Beale, one of the last pieces of undeveloped riverfront in the city.

He's proposing a condo/luxury hotel combination that over three phases would extend from Riverside Drive to Front, eventually taking in Joe's Crab Shack to the south.

"It will be the biggest project ever done in Memphis," Carlisle said, costing "north of $300 million" and ushering in the kind of luxury people expect from four- and five-star hotels.

Condo prices would start at $400,000.

"The reason we want to have a hotel is to offer spas and room service," Carlisle said. "But we will only do a hotel if it adds to the value of the condo development. Anything less than a four- or five-star hotel doesn't give us what we want."

He's talking to a number of hotel companies, and while he admits "we're doing most of the talking," there are plenty of examples of what Carlisle's talking about in other cities.

Ritz Carlton manages similar luxury condos "all over," Carlisle said, including two in Washington. Donald Trump is developing a luxury hotel/condo tower in Chicago, and the Mansion on Turtle Creek hotel will manage the Cresta Bella in downtown Dallas, which will feature a nature preserve, estate grounds and a European spa and treatment center, according to its Web site.

While Downtown demand for condominiums has gone wild, with 416 in either design or construction now, only a "handful" are high-end, luxury units, said Jeff Sanford, president and CEO of the Center City Commission.

"Empty-nesters selling expensive homes in the suburbs to move Downtown don't want to move into a small Downtown apartment," he said. "I would say the market for high-end condo is almost untapped."

While Carlisle is still deciding what "this building is going to look like," he's adamant that it will be anything but "run-of-the-mill" on what many agree is the last premier undeveloped address Downtown.

"It's in the core. It's everything. Truly, you can walk out your door and have it all there," said James Rasberry, longtime developer Downtown. "I'd be hesitant to do what he's planning anyplace else in the Downtown area. He has the best site, and that is going to be the real test."

Within two to four weeks, Carlisle intends to have a plan ready to take to the City Council, kicking off what he hopes will be a series of approvals to alter zoning, sewers and traffic patterns around the 1.2 acres at 245 Wagner.

The land is currently zoned for 60 units per acre in buildings not to exceed eight stories, according to the South Center Business Improvement District Zoning regulations.

The first phase of construction would start at No. 1 Beale, former site of The Emporium, Armadillo Jack's, No. 1 Beale and Wang's Mandarin House.

Phase II would be built on what are now surface parking lots at Beale and Wagner and Beale and Front. Phase III will extend south to the land now occupied by Joe's Crab Shack.

Carlisle's project is one of several that will alter the Memphis skyline in the next 12-18 months. The Vue, a 28-story apartment tower at the northeast corner of Main and Gayoso, is expected to break ground this summer.

Two 16-story condo towers are planned at Riverside and Channel 3 Drive. The start date has not been set. "

For those unfamiliar with the area of the tower, it will be on Beale Street directly to the left of the whitish-looking mid-rise condo building pictured below in the low-quality webcam shot:

42754456.jpg

Archived