Albemarle Point development

Charleston native

I posted the article link below in the Charleston Developments thread, but I felt like I needed to start a new thread in relation to the development that is currently taking place in this section of West Ashley overlooking downtown. This area has, IMO, the best views of DT in the entire city, with maybe the exception of the new Cooper River Bridge. Also, it is experiencing a surge of new development with Ripley Light Cove Townhomes, Ripley Light Yacht Club development which mixes condos, townhouses, restaurants and hotels; Piggly Wiggly's corporate offices, a brand new 4-story office building being built at the corner of the SC 61 Connector and Albemarle Drive, and the condos being built at the old concrete manufacturer's site mentioned in the article. The article mentions the possibility of some buildings such as Hay's Tire and Lifequest being bought and demolished for future development. I was wondering what the possibilities (besides more condos) could be for this area.

I see this section of West Ashley being a superb residential and commericial mixture with South Windermere Shopping Center being nearby, bustling with activity. I think putting a Carrabas, Macaroni Grill, or Ruth's Chris in the closed Crab House location would be an excellent idea. There would be other parcels to locate these restaurants as well, possibly even a Cheescake Factory location!

Another idea I have for the area would incorporate the 14-story Holiday Inn Riverview: building a pedestrian bridge crossing US 17 N and the marshes to the Ripley Light area. Any other ideas?

Jumping the Ashley, 'condofication' comes to West Ashley

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hearing about densification in West Ashley is always good.

What about a water taxi to get people/tourists from the pennensula to this West Ashley restaurant row you are proposing?

Wow, that is a great idea! I didn't even think about it before, but it would bring more traffic to the area. This can be done with virtually no additional effort. The water taxi could dock at the Ripley Light Marina and a walkway could traverse around the entire Albemarle Point with the restaurants, hotels, and condos. The taxi would also be very convenient for people staying in the hotels to go DT. Excellent idea, Spartan! If they're doing it in Mt. P, they could very well do it on the other side of town. :thumbsup: We need to be city planners! :D

Archived