Tiger Stadiums last chance

rbdetsport

Detroit seeks plan as time runs out for old ballpark

The City's fund to maintain decaying Tiger Stadium will be depleted by 2007.

By R.J. King / The Detroit News

Daniel Mears / The Detroit News

City leaders want a financially sound and feasible plan from a developer interested in buying Tiger Stadium.

http://www.detnews.com/2005/business/0503/03/E01-106015.htm

Moderator's Note: Please post the link unless you are telling us you have permission from the Detroit News. Summaries of articles are fine; posting entire articles is not. Sorry, but we have had to start cracking down on this. Please feel free to delete this if you decide to repost

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It appears that the city has turned down another solid plan in favor of several prospective developments. In the past all proposed developments have fallen through. What makes these new "prospective developments" any different? The stadium & its site are a really good opportunity. I hope the city doesn't ruin it, and eventually build a Walmart or something on the site.

Read More: http://www.metrotimes.com/editorial/story.asp?id=7447

I've given up all hope on Tiger Stadium. It simply is too big of a project.

If it weren't for the good memories of the place, I would actually want it demoed because it is an ugly utilitarian structure. But I was hoping it would be turned into a minor league stadium with some of the stands removed, and have commercial and residential districts around it.

I've given up all hope on Tiger Stadium.  It simply is too big of a project. 

If it weren't for the good memories of the place, I would actually want it demoed because it is an ugly utilitarian structure.  But I was hoping it would be turned into a minor league stadium with some of the stands removed, and have commercial and residential districts around it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That would be awesome. If NY can have two major league teams, we can have a major league and a minor league team. Having the Expos would have been better though.

Detroit isn't allowed to have two major league teams within the CBD. I think the MLB made that clear when Detroit "tried"/thought about getting the Expos.

It would be awful if a bix box store went up there. I agree, there would be a lot of opposition from people in all directions. But I do see residential development replacing it.

Fortunately Walmart has said that the 17 acre site is 2 acres too small for their gigantic parking lot. The residents of Corktown & North Corktown will not let them put a big box store there, although the city might try. There would be a lot of outrage from everywhere - city & suburbs.

I'm not sure where this stands, but some people have thought of trying to bring Major League Soccer to the stadium.

Something needs to be done with the stadium for the health of the neighborhood. Parking lot owners are waiting to sell because the stadium is still in limbo. They want to make sure they aren't missing out on lost profits, just in case the stadium is ever used again.

Archived