What I really want to see in downtown Flint is...

Pachuco

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, we could definitely use a new Y. Seems like just about every other city in Michigan is getting one. I don't have any pics of it, but it's almost as ugly as the YWCA.

I'd love to see a new convention center downtown, but I'm not sure if there's enough demand. Although it could be a case of "if you build it, they will come".

We definately don't have the demand for a new convention center. We are overbuilding convention centers in this country, to the point where many convention centers sit empty most of the time. Maybe this would be a good idea later on, but for now we don't need one.

I think we should share our ideas to The downtown dda, uptown developments, The URC and whatever other developer who is working and building downtown.Dnast and I are currently doing this but it would be wonderful is you Tropolis, Allan, and Veefan could help out. If you all are interested someone please, please post and support this project.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd really like to see some work start on the entertainment complex. I've waited my two months past the promised date to see something. I guess hearing things like "it's a done deal" makes me less patient.

I'd like them to give it a name, too :)

• 2 weeks later...

^ I've never been to that but it sounds like fun.

Yeah, I was downtown the other day and wondered "why the heck aren't they working on the entertainment complex?!"

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Looks like nothing will be happening until at least June. Article

Edit: I just saw your post in the other thread about the June date, pachuco. I wasn't stealing information, I swear! :)

Edited by dnast

• 2 weeks later...

That'd be interesting. I'm guessing from your avatar you play tennis. There's definitely hope for the city if tennis draws a crowd. I'm thinking a general sports arena would do the same job though. :unsure:

I'm not the biggest tennis fan, although I don't find it boring. It would be nice just to have the option of watching some good tennis matches. Variety is the key. It's funny when people from larger cities ask "What do you do for fun at home?" You tell them, and it's basically the same things they do.

Tennis is the only sport I'll watch, the others are alright, tennis is just more interesting to me. It's kind of sad that the closest professional tennis tournament is Toronto. :unsure:

Plus, if Flint could actually host a tennis tournament that'd be a good sign that the city is becoming safer. :);)

Has anyone ever completed a target market analysis for downtown Flint? What is the reality of bring thousands of residences downtown without working on the existing neighborhoods first? I dont know that Genesee County can produce and retain the young, single, and professional populations that would thrive downtown anywhere near the scale of GR.

Perhaps concentrating on student housing and the connection between UM-F and Kettering is key, along with community development efforts in the surrouding neighborhoods. I may suffer from a lack of vision, but I see downtown success coming from small steps and from serving and being served by local populations before I see any massive influx of gentrification and regional entertainment venues. I suppose I am also biased in that I feel a true success story for downtown is one in which downtown does serve locals and visitors alike, not just visitors and in-migrants checking out the FIA or working in a high-rise.

Autoworld has proven that 'if you build it, they will come' theory does not always apply. It has also shown how a lack of proper planning can lead to a waste of resouces geared toward non-residents. Frankly speaking, this whole forum appears geared toward development pertaining to visitors, future employees, and in-migrants. I cannot help but question how lucrative such development will be for the rest of Flint. Doubtless it will help, but who is really being served by a $5 million check for a parking deck?

hmmmm...this post reads more like a rant. Pardon me please. I am in an unusually cynical mood. I will return later with more postive and contructive thoughts.

This is the perfect place to rant :)

I completely agree with the small steps and serving the local population, however I don't feel that any of downtown's current plans are very big at all.

The entertainment complex will house 4 service businesses, a medium business (~100 employees), and a handful of residents. It's only 4 stories, and 3 storefronts long. While it's sizable for downtown Flint, this project would barely be on the radar (relatively speaking) even in other similarly-sized cities - and it's the biggest thing coming downtown, except for maybe student housing.

Also, at first look it doesn't seem like this and other downtown projects will help current residents, but as long as everything isn't way overpriced and exclusive, most residents can and should enjoy having a functional downtown. Just the idea of doing a little window shopping, dining, and going to an entertainment venue without taking a long drive outside of the city - and hopping in and out of the car - would be attractive and useful in many people's eyes. It'll take a long time before this becomes reality, but I feel it would definitely be a resource that residents would appreciate.

At the same time, I don't feel that all of the city's efforts should just be put into downtown. They will have to find a balance between downtown and outer-neighborhood funding. Having a nice downtown isn't so great when the rest of the city is falling apart.

I feel compelled to add that I do find the downtown projects to benefit the whole city. If symbolicly, the city needs a boost, and entertainment venues can bring that needed image. Perhaps with some positive specutlation, the benefits of living, working, and playing in the city can be realized by other market forces. To me, image appears to be the biggest obstacle in reviving the city. Does this make sense?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I would like to see The city of Flint create an temporary department for cleaning up the flint River. Like an entire administration hiring many unemployed people to clean up the river. It helps out the river's appearance and creates jobs. Of course, when the river is clean, most of the workers will be out of work, but they can keep about a fourth of them for maintaining the river.