What I really want to see in downtown Flint is...

Pachuco

Detroit was #4 in the 1930 & 1940 census. By 1950, Detroit was #5, as it was overtaken by Los Angeles. I'm having issues formatting the data. The first number is the rank, then the place, then the size (in square miles) and the population desity (in people in square mile)

1 New York city, NY *......6,930,446 {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} 299.0 {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} 23,179

2 Chicago city, IL............3,376,438 {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} 201.9 {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} 16,723

3 Philadelphia city, PA......1,950,961 {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} 128.0 {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} 15,242

4 Detroit city, MI.............1,568,662 {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} 137.9 {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} 11,375

5 Los Angeles city, CA.....1,238,048 {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} 440.3 {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} 2,812

1 New York city, NY *......7,454,995 {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} 299.0 {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} 24,933

2 Chicago city, IL............3,396,808 {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} 206.7 {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} 16,434

3 Philadelphia city, PA......1,931,334 {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} 127.2 {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} 15,183

4 Detroit city, MI.............1,623,452 {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} 137.9 {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} 11,773

5 Los Angeles city, CA.....1,504,277 {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} 448.3 {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} 3,356

1 New York city, NY *......7,891,957 {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} 315.1 {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} 25,046

2 Chicago city, IL............3,620,962 {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} 207.5 {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} 17,450

3 Philadelphia city, PA......2,071,605 {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} 127.2 {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} 16,286

4 Los Angeles city, CA......1,970,358 {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} 450.9 {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} 4,370

5 Detroit city, MI.............1,849,568 {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} 139.6 {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} 13,249

The revised estimate for Detroit city in the 2000 census was something in the neighborhood of 975,000. The population estimate for March 1, 2006 is 886,311, down 6.8% since 2000's official count of 950,270.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's hard to tell. People are still getting laid off and crime really hasn't dropped the last couple of years (although it's way better than in the 80s/90s).

The city has been able to get new industrial jobs and I think a couple companies are expanding and building new facilities. Downtown has been slowly picking up more and more new businesses - bringing new shops and office jobs.

While the Flint schools' test grades are improving they still are well below the state average. A good sign, though, is that the younger students have caught up with the rest of the state. Hopefully this bodes well for the future.

The city's finances are well intact and we've actually had a surplus for the past few years even though the city spent $44 million on improving a water plant. That improvement alone will save the city $5 million a year as well as provide better water service to the community. It will also enable the city to provide its own water instead of buying it from Detroit if the costs keep rising.

I could go on, but to sum it up I think right now Flint is simply putting the brakes on the decline. Some things still aren't improving, but at least now there's some light at the end of the tunnel whereas several years ago things seemed nearly hopeless. That's my opinion, at least.

Patience man. This stuff does not happen over night. The city of Flint has been in dissarray over the last decade or so. Things are just now starting to come together and get straightened out (hopefully). The talk that is now happenening is actually turning into actual projects unlike in the past when talk just led to more talk. I believe it is going to happen this time, downtown will be completely transformed in a few years. :yahoo:

you know what would be cool, if the IMA moved downtown, i mean its practicly in Burton...with all the people that go to Generals games, think of all the spill over businesses downtown would get, and then if they did concerts too, that would be awesome

Patience man. This stuff does not happen over night. The city of Flint has been in dissarray over the last decade or so. Things are just now starting to come together and get straightened out (hopefully). The talk that is now happenening is actually turning into actual projects unlike in the past when talk just led to more talk. I believe it is going to happen this time, downtown will be completely transformed in a few years. :yahoo:

Ya, I know, it gets frustrating plus I've been waiting for something really big to happen for so long, and I'm sure that's the same for many people, especially in this forum. But as you could see, it was like 6 a.m. and I had been up all night.

you know what would be cool, if the IMA moved downtown, i mean its practicly in Burton...with all the people that go to Generals games, think of all the spill over businesses downtown would get, and then if they did concerts too, that would be awesome

That's a good idea, but where would it be put? There's not exactly ample space in the immediate downtown area. Unless they did major renovations to convert Atwood Stadium to make it indoor.

My first post on this site about what I wanted to see in Downtown Flint included an arena similar to Van Andel Arena in Grand Rapids. I actually e-mailed the URC and suggested that Don Williamsons proposed arena be built downtown instead of out in Mount Morris Township. I think a arena downtown would bring in people from the surrounding areas as well as the city to shop, go to restaurants and bars. But no one is going to build an arena downtown unless there is a demand for one, which is why people have to start getting the word out now that there is support. Kalamazoo is seriously considering building a arena in their downtown and that city has 40,000 less people than Flint. If Kalamazoo can do it, why can't Flint?

My first post on this site about what I wanted to see in Downtown Flint included an arena similar to Van Andel Arena in Grand Rapids. I actually e-mailed the URC and suggested that Don Williamsons proposed arena be built downtown instead of out in Mount Morris Township. I think a arena downtown would bring in people from the surrounding areas as well as the city to shop, go to restaurants and bars. But no one is going to build an arena downtown unless there is a demand for one, which is why people have to start getting the word out now that there is support. Kalamazoo is seriously considering building a arena in their downtown and that city has 40,000 less people than Flint. If Kalamazoo can do it, why can't Flint?

They never should have moved the IMA out of downtown in the first place. But if they were to move it back there is plenty of room at Grand Traverse and First St. Where that ugly ass concrete building is.

The old IMA was where the William S. White Building on the U of M-Flint campus is. It was imploded about 10 years ago. Actually, it was probably longer ago than that. I remember getting up early to watch on tv, and then the building was so solidly constructed that it did not fall like they had expected it too.

ooh, yea they used to build them things strong

and Allan,you got up to watch it more than 10 years ago, i thought you were only like 19 or 20

I am. I was reenacting the implosion with my blocks for weeks after that...at least when I wasn't building skyscrapers or something with my legos. :lol:

I went to Autoworld the day after it opened and thought it was the coolest thing. I ended going a few times (5-6) all togerther. At the time, I also remember driving past the several blocks down Saginaw Street that were being torn down to make way for Water Street Pavilion. My mom used to work in one of those businesses back in the day. She always said that one of the worst things Flint did was tear down all of those blocks of businesses, which many were still running when the city decided to demolish them. I always thought they could have built Water Street somewhere else downtown without tearing down all those buildings. But, at first, I also thought they possibly could have done something with Autoworld rather than tear it down and then I realized it just brought back old, bad memories. I'm glad Autoworld's gone so we can move foreward an forget about it.

They are working on a new plan to restore the Captiol Theatre. The website is still under construction here: http://capitolrealtyholdings.com/theatre/

:o They used my photo. Not that I really mind them using it, but they could've at least said something... :angry:

But going back to the topic, did anybody read how Williamson wants to use some of the Buick City land to store towed vehicles? It's something the council members are actually opposing. It's apparently too close to University Park Estates and (I guess based on how the current lot looks) it'll basically look like a junk yard and deter other businesses that may take interest in the Buick site.

On a side note, I'm probably a little late on this but it shocked me a little seeing the former Buick world HQ as a pile of rubble when I passed by. I had totally forgot they planned on doing that.

To store more towed cars? You mean closing down the Oak Business Park to do the same thing wasn't enough? :rolleyes:

And tearing down Autoworld was a good thing, look at how much better of a building the White Building is than the hideous thing with glass pyramids on the roof. :P It looked like a gentler version of a porcupine. lol