Downcity/Providence Retail

AriPVD

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excellent news! I think either vertical banners or perpendicular signage jutting over the sidewalks would be fantastic.

Gracies on Washington Street is a perfect example of how not to do signage in the bad old downtown Providence way. They've got a perpendicular wood sign (one step forward) that's waaaay too small (two steps back) for its facade and it's not lit at night (2 more steps back). The neighboring Bravo has done a better job of announcing their existence with their surrounding awning.

I don't remember if I ever posted these or not, they're from my trip to the Vineyard last summer. Edgartown is a bit different from Downcity Providence obviously, but it is a surprisingly urban area. The execution in Providence would be a bit different, but here's some good sinage:

Vineyard004.jpg

Vineyard003.jpg

Vineyard002.jpg

Vineyard001.jpg

Great example - and important to institute on Westminster. Because of the narrowness of the street, blade signs (and almost the bigger the better) are fundamental for pulling shoppers down the street. The few signs on awnings can be seen fromm a block away.

One problem may be the city. I asked the new show store why they didn't have a blade sign - they said they wern't allowed to by the city - could this be true? And if so could this be changed IMMEDIATELY!

Great example - and important to institute on Westminster. Because of the narrowness of the street, blade signs (and almost the bigger the better) are fundamental for pulling shoppers down the street. The few signs on awnings can be seen fromm a block away.

One problem may be the city. I asked the new show store why they didn't have a blade sign - they said they wern't allowed to by the city - could this be true? And if so could this be changed IMMEDIATELY!

That's the big issue. I commend Cornish associates for the great job they've done on all of the buildings, but codes and variances need to be changed. Regentrification of that area has tried before in the past and failed miserably. People are simply not going to come from Cranston if they can't see what's there or they don't feel safe. Westminster needs better signage, way more lighting, and Grant's Block to break ground IMMEDIATELY in order for these new businesses to survive. When these places advertise being in the center of it all, they are marketing these condos/apts. with the built-up positive momentum thet is happening. Presently, it's not high-end and the residents that have taken up nest there need to realize that significant improvements still need to be made. With that said, I think an arch @ Union and Weybosset where Grant's Block is going, is a great idea. I also think well-lit functioning kiosks should be placed at the following places and intersections: Atwells Ave. exit/Service Road,convention center, PP mall info desk, Waterplace Park, future highway sign on planned 195 relocation. If the arch doesn't work, use totem poles....anything that could get people to enter. I know it's not free, but maybe some of the funds could be from transportation money.

That's the big issue. I commend Cornish associates for the great job they've done on all of the buildings, but codes and variances need to be changed. Regentrification of that area has tried before in the past and failed miserably. People are simply not going to come from Cranston if they can't see what's there or they don't feel safe. Westminster needs better signage, way more lighting, and Grant's Block to break ground IMMEDIATELY in order for these new businesses to survive. When these places advertise being in the center of it all, they are marketing these condos/apts. with the built-up positive momentum thet is happening. Presently, it's not high-end and the residents that have taken up nest there need to realize that significant improvements still need to be made. With that said, I think an arch @ Union and Weybosset where Grant's Block is going, is a great idea. I also think well-lit functioning kiosks should be placed at the following places and intersections: Atwells Ave. exit/Service Road,convention center, PP mall info desk, Waterplace Park, future highway sign on planned 195 relocation. If the arch doesn't work, use totem poles....anything that could get people to enter. I know it's not free, but maybe some of the funds could be from transportation money.

I agree.

The city must (not should) to do everything it can to encourage easy retail parking, a heavy police presence and overt public lighting, and trolley transportation SPECIFICALLY for the Financial-Retail-Arts/Entertainment districts.

Westminster retail will boom IF the One Ten Westminster, Lofts, and Grant's Block projects are supported with a real urban revival effort by the city. Then the suburban population will be drawn in again as they see it as 1) safe and friendly, 2) convienent, and 3) fun/exciting.

Black Rep has this giant one story of blank space above the ground floor entrance of Xxodus. It would be great for a large neon sculpture or LED screen. These things aren't cheap of course. But there must be creative funding solutions.

I think I've stated my opinion on this before, but back to the string-lights along Westminsters - get rid of 'em. Westminster St has some beautiful architecture, but you wouldn't know it at night because the lights act as a virtual ceiling. The last thing the canyon needs is a ceiling. Tacky, tacky, tacky.

I was walking down Westminster yesterday afternoon and noticed that Cathers & Coyne has a lit metal sign hanging in their store, it looks like the Hotel Providence sign on a much (much) smaller scale. Did someone mention they heard that C&C was not allowed to hang some sign? Could this be it? Could we please get it hung?

I just wanted to add my no vote to the lights above Westminster. If they are going to use them they should at least be hung properly. The way they are hung makes it look like the place is in decay and lifeless.

One problem with Westminster, of course, is the parking. I would love if I could traverse Providence with public transport easily, but really I can't (or perhaps won't due to the hassle is a better way of stating it). There simply isn't enough on Westminster to get me to pay some guy $10 for the privilege of parking near it, at least not yet.

i wonder if "shopping shuttles" could work for the holiday season. Probably there isn't enough interest yet, but maybe a trolley on the weekends that makes a circuit, maybe every half hour, and stops at the mall, then goes down Dorrance and stops at Westminster, then heads up Wickenden with a stop at Brook St. or Hope St. and then goes on to Wayland Square and stops at the Starbucks on Angell St. and then up to Thayer St. and through the tunnel back to the mall?

One problem with Westminster, of course, is the parking. I would love if I could traverse Providence with public transport easily, but really I can't (or perhaps won't due to the hassle is a better way of stating it). There simply isn't enough on Westminster to get me to pay some guy $10 for the privilege of parking near it, at least not yet.

i wonder if "shopping shuttles" could work for the holiday season. Probably there isn't enough interest yet, but maybe a trolley on the weekends that makes a circuit, maybe every half hour, and stops at the mall, then goes down Dorrance and stops at Westminster

I don't know, it seems like this is perhaps an advantage of the RIPTA system hub at Kennedy Plaza- since all busses lead to downtown, isn't it fairly easy to get there on a bus, no matter where in the city (or even state) you are coming from? Plus, the mall and the rest of downtown are so close, I can't see why most people shouldn't be able to walk easily between the two. I think improving the pedestrian environment downtown is a better solution to this than cramming more vehicles in, even we are talking about trolleys.

I do think your idea about a shuttle connecting key shopping areas around the city is a good one, though- not just for the holidays, but year round. In general, more options to cross the "spokes" of RIPTA's routes would probably be good for traffic and economic development, not to mention integrating people across social lines better.

I don't know, it seems like this is perhaps an advantage of the RIPTA system hub at Kennedy Plaza- since all busses lead to downtown, isn't it fairly easy to get there on a bus, no matter where in the city (or even state) you are coming from?

the whole point is no, it's not. Easy but something of a hassle might be a better term.

I hate parking my car and I already drive it enough...but my few attempts to take RIPTA into the city usefully have left me in a state where I don't really even consider taking the bus. As MarkOne noted in the RIPTA thread itself, my line at least has far too many stops (roughly every 1/8 of a mile along Hope St.).

Regardless, what I'm really trying to get at is a situation where you can leave your car in one spot and get around Providence. Providence itself does not have enough density to support all this retail without those people coming to the city in their cars. So this way you can get some people to jump in a shuttle and get them to move to other retail centers in the city. I would guess that a good percentage of out of towners don't even know about the nice gallery and antique stores on Wickenden. Anyway, just an idea. I was kind of basing it off of the shuttle that used to do the gallery tours on Tuesday nights (do they still do that). Bring people to other areas they don't necessarily know about, kind of thing.

On Downcity Parking. I think the Downtown Merchants need to create somesort of parking group, and develop a logo that indicates which lots honor validation at Downcity shops, and which merchants participate.

Biggles' TV commercial states that they have validated parking, but I wouldn't know which lot honors their validation. So do I have to stop at Biggles, turn on my flashers, run in, ask which lot I should park at, then go park, and walk back??? Seems a little cumbersome. If there were a Downcity Parking Validation System with a recognizable logo and clear signs, one could know which lots to park in and which stores offer validation.

As for a shuttle system, I agree that the immediate Downcity area doesn't need one, it's walkable enough. However, the current trolley system could do a better job if reaching more of the city's outlying retail zones.

i wonder if "shopping shuttles" could work for the holiday season. Probably there isn't enough interest yet, but maybe a trolley on the weekends that makes a circuit, maybe every half hour, and stops at the mall, then goes down Dorrance and stops at Westminster, then heads up Wickenden with a stop at Brook St. or Hope St. and then goes on to Wayland Square and stops at the Starbucks on Angell St. and then up to Thayer St. and through the tunnel back to the mall?

I think a free continuous trolley loop like this would be a great idea. Portland OR has free busses and light rail downtown and it definitely helps with congestion. You can easily find a parking spot right in the middle of the city.

I just wanted to add my no vote to the lights above Westminster. If they are going to use them they should at least be hung properly. The way they are hung makes it look like the place is in decay and lifeless.

How is it that people are just discovering these lights, which have been hanging up for some time now. I'd say for at least two months. At first I thought is was part of some street festival where they close down Westminster St as they had done previously this summer. And no, I don't like 'em.

How is it that people are just discovering these lights, which have been hanging up for some time now. I'd say for at least two months. At first I thought is was part of some street festival where they close down Westminster St as they had done previously this summer. And no, I don't like 'em.

I haven't been on Westminster St. at night since Lupo's closed there. In the daytime I guess I never really made note of them.

Anyway, I should point out that my idea for the trolley was to support the businesses, not to support laziness. Point being that if you had something like this, people from the mall, and we know people come to the mall, would be more encouraged to go out and see and support other parts of the city.

Also, perhaps a completely dumb idea, but is there any talk of making Weybosset a 2 way and closing a couple blocks of Westminster to traffic?

Also, perhaps a completely dumb idea, but is there any talk of making Weybosset a 2 way and closing a couple blocks of Westminster to traffic?

Weybosset is being made two-way from Dorrance to Empire, but there is no plan to pedestrianize any part of Westminster. In fact the plan for Westminster is to re-open it through Cathredral Square, reconnecting it to the West Side.

Archived