Downcity/Providence Retail

AriPVD

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When Krispy Kreme first started coming up north they did carry the sour cream. About a year ago, they stopped. When I asked why, they said that they were not selling as well up north and the company decided to stop making them here. A fine business decision I guess, but piss poor for me. Southern KKs have about 10-15 additional flavors as you find in a northern KK.

And Liam, they make an excellent maple donut. Of the cake variety I beleive with maple frosting on top.

Actually the Maple at KK are glazed raised donuts with maple on top. The maple is kind of overwhelmed by all the sugar in the glaze.

One donut I miss is the Jelly and Kreme at dunkin donuts. I havent come across one in a few years now.

Liam

(LOVES Donuts)

Back to donuts :rofl: , I have to say that besides Allies, I like Dunkin Donuts the best. They have the best variety and best overall garbagey good taste. Plus the vanilla frosting/chocolate frosting filled donuts are just incredible, they're the closest things to Allie's in taste. Krispy Kremes I love also, although they get all watery and sticky if you don't eat them right away, plus they all kind of taste the same since they're all caked in the same sugarlard. Nothin beats a free donut though, so if the hot light is on, I'm there with a bunch of people who hate donuts, so they can all give their free to me. I also like how you can literally shove an entire krispy kreme original glazed into your mouth at once, especially when its hot. This makes chowing down a dozen much quicker and much easier.

Next I'd go with Honey Dew, although if you look up the nutrition facts you'll see they are heart attacks in a spherical shape, much worse than DD or KKD. Then you have Tim Hortons, which I won't get into again...

Okay I'll stop now.

Actually the Maple at KK are glazed raised donuts with maple on top. The maple is kind of overwhelmed by all the sugar in the glaze.

One donut I miss is the Jelly and Kreme at dunkin donuts. I havent come across one in a few years now.

Liam

(LOVES Donuts)

The jelly and cream were very good. They are no longer made according to two DD employees I spoke to. However, not as good as a long john from Butlers in Westport. Real cream, and real jelly. Unbelievable. And since they only make them in cold weather, now would be a perfect time to get one.

As for the maple donuts, KK does indeed make a cake variety. Its just not avialble all the time, and I am not sure if you can get them up here. I did see it in Delaware last time I was in one. I'll be in Baltimore next week and will have to look. Its nice to have a mission.

However, not as good as a long john from Butlers in Westport. Real cream, and real jelly. Unbelievable. And since they only make them in cold weather, now would be a perfect time to get one.

Oh my god, the Butler's Long John! I don't even particularly care for donuts, but these things are f-ing unbelievable. Pretty much anything from Butler's will give you religion, but the Long John is one of man's greatest inventions. (not to use hyperbole, of course) Part of the joy lies in the ridiculousness of driving all the way to Westport for a donut, which several of my most devout friends have been known to do on a fairly regular basis. I totally forget about these, since they aren't available in the summer, but I will have to make a forray soon.

Ikea is great for just starting out furniture. If you want a solid piece made out of real wood though, Ikea is not a good choice. My wife and I still got here to get certain things, but when we want furntiture that will last for a while Ikea is not on our list.

Everyone talks of the great design of Ikea products, but when you need seventeen bags of various screws, nuts washers, dowels, and three sizes of allen wrench to put one of their pieces together, solid it aint.

Long johns rule! I used to travel from Boston to Westport on a fairly regular basis. So Providence to westport seems like a comparitive bargain!

Oh my god, the Butler's Long John! I don't even particularly care for donuts, but these things are f-ing unbelievable. Pretty much anything from Butler's will give you religion, but the Long John is one of man's greatest inventions. (not to use hyperbole, of course) Part of the joy lies in the ridiculous of driving all the way to Westport for a donut, which several of my most devout frieds have been known to do on a fairly regular basis. I totally forget about these, since they aren't available in the summer, but I will have to make a forray soon.

These testomonials make me realize that there is something missing in my life, and that is Butler's Donuts! I looked at the pictures online and my pants shrunk a little. Sweet Jesus!

Liam

Ikea is great for just starting out furniture. If you want a solid piece made out of real wood though, Ikea is not a good choice. My wife and I still got here to get certain things, but when we want furntiture that will last for a while Ikea is not on our list.

Everyone talks of the great design of Ikea products, but when you need seventeen bags of various screws, nuts washers, dowels, and three sizes of allen wrench to put one of their pieces together, solid it aint.

Ikea stuff is obviously not going to be handed down for generations, but at the same time it is so cheap and fun that it works quite well as a semi disposable product. We have a really neat bedframe that we've had for around 5 or 6 years now as well as a lot of other odds and ends and it has fared very well. It will prolly last 1/2 as long as something that costs 5 times as much, so it all works out in the end.

I am also extremely satisfied with the kitchen cabinets I installed this summer. They look great, are quite sturdy, and I only paid $3500 for a full kitchen of cabinets, plus all the hardware and a giant apron sink. Cant go wrong with that. It may not be full custom solid cherry cabs, but for 1/10th the price you cant beat it.

Liam

(Ikea Whore)

I have had some bad experiences with Ikea furniture. None of it has lasted me very long. So I am a little skewed against them.

However, I have gone to New Haven twice last month for rugs, roman shades and various other odds and ends. I love them for that.

Liam, do they have different classes of furniture? Like "Fall apart in a year" class and "Solid, reliable" class?

When I go there, some stuff looks better than others. They also do have quite the food department. Anyplace that sells herring has to be okay.

The problem with going to Butler's is that they never survive the trip home....

Liam, do they have different classes of furniture? Like "Fall apart in a year" class and "Solid, reliable" class?

yeah, they do actually. You will see 2 bureaus that look pretty similar - One will be $99 and the other $399. There is a very good reason for the price difference. We have gotten a lot of stuff for the kids (beds, chairs, random toys and stuff) and it has all held up very well. Like I said, not heirloom, just good bang for the buck.

Liam

yeah, they do actually. You will see 2 bureaus that look pretty similar - One will be $99 and the other $399. There is a very good reason for the price difference. We have gotten a lot of stuff for the kids (beds, chairs, random toys and stuff) and it has all held up very well. Like I said, not heirloom, just good bang for the buck.

Liam

Yep, and their cabinets really are pretty good quality and seem to hold up well. I did my bathroom with them, and will probably be putting a kitchen together with em. for the price, they really cannot be beat.

I did my kitchen lighting with Ikea fixtures. Excellent design and value. Bedding is also a really good value. Also can't beat those Swedish meatballs in the cafeteria. I stop at the Ikea in NH for lunch or dinner when going to or coming back from NY. Sure beats McDonald's.

Yep, and their cabinets really are pretty good quality and seem to hold up well. I did my bathroom with them, and will probably be putting a kitchen together with em. for the price, they really cannot be beat.

I bought a simple computer chair.. swivel, fabric, black sleek design. $150 bucks

about 7 months later the entire seat of it was almost contoured to my ass. The only support I got was from where the leg support hit the seat in the middle. t'was terrible quality.

Now I have a chair from walgreens.. padded folding chair.. nice and black and I LOVE it.. $20 dollars.. have had it for over a year now =) I'm all set with IKEA.

I think the new shoe store one Westminster will open on Sat. Also I went to the City Cafe. It was nice. No loud music like tazza when all you want to do is talk to friends. Also everyone was dressed nice which is rare for providence.

You've been able to peer through the paper over the windows at the shoe store all week to see them stocking the shelves, looks like pretty good stuff. Good place to do some holiday shopping.

So is City Cafe basically just a bar? Could one go in their for a take-away coffee? Because that's what I really wanted to see, a more upscale alternative to DD, no that Brewed Awakenings is gone. Do they even serve coffee? What is it exactly? It's very confusing.

Archived