Downcity/Providence Retail

AriPVD

The space on the dorrance and Westminster on the CVS side seems to be under construction. Also I walked past City Cafe tonight and the place seems to look very nice inside...however i have NO IDEA why they have blacked out windows. Seems REALLY dumb. How many places have you just walked in that have blacked out windows?

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also I walked past City Cafe tonight and the place seems to look very nice inside...however i have NO IDEA why they have blacked out windows. Seems REALLY dumb. How many places have you just walked in that have blacked out windows?

I think the cafe is a misnomer, I walked by around 5pm and everyone was drinking. I think that's part of the blacked out windows, but do people need to hide while they drink, is this 1920?

I can tell you that Tim Horton's sucks. Their donuts suck, their muffins suck more, and their coffee sucks. It's a big suckfest.

Couldn't have said it better myself. While I'm glad it (or anything) is coming to downtown, I won't be among the customers there...

- Garris

Tim Horton's is still a go, I think they're beginning construction soon. Not the best use, but it'll be nice to see something in that space.

Other rumors floating around: an electronics store, a high end home theater store, and a wine store are in the works. Also, several grocery candidates. There's another home furnishings store opening in the ground floor of the Cosmopolitan. Tough location.

Hope that gives you guys some afternoon excitement!

Don't be silly! What do you think of us? We wouldn't get that excited over....ooo, I peed my pants a little. :blush:

As a amateur donut connosieur, I can tell you that Tim Horton's sucks. Their donuts suck, their muffins suck more, and their coffee sucks. It's a big suckfest. They're small and bland, and they're worse for you than Dunkin Donuts. I wish an Allie's donuts would open in Providence, they are donut heaven.

Their sandwiches aren't bad.

Their sandwiches aren't bad.

Eh, I had one once. They don't suck at the same level as their pastries, but they still suck. You know what I hope never comes to Providence proper, a Panera. I hate Panera. Their sandwiches are horrifically horrible, and everyone treats that place as though it is an authentic, non-chain genuine sandwich shop. People in Albany think that the one up there is the only one in the country. Aside from their cinnamon crunch bagel, everything in that place is garbage.

As a amateur donut connosieur, I can tell you that Tim Horton's sucks. Their donuts suck, their muffins suck more, and their coffee sucks. It's a big suckfest. They're small and bland, and they're worse for you than Dunkin Donuts. I wish an Allie's donuts would open in Providence, they are donut heaven.

Their Donuts are F'ing horrible. Theyre baked offsite (not fried) and taste all preservative tastic, kind of like a Hostess product. Even worse, they look really good in the display case and trick you. This is a terrible offense to a fat guy like me. I needs me some good donuts, dammit.

Their Donuts are F'ing horrible. Theyre baked offsite (not fried) and taste all preservative tastic, kind of like a Hostess product. Even worse, they look really good in the display case and trick you. This is a terrible offense to a fat guy like me. I needs me some good donuts, dammit.

:rofl: You're wrong, they're wayyy worse than any Hostess product. I've eaten day old supermarket donuts that are better. They're like opening a christmas present you didn't want.

I am more than a amateur donut lover. I travel many miles out of my way for a place I heard may have good donuts.

Tim Hortons was excellent before they got bought out by Wendy's. When they were just a canadian chain, they were fried onsite, made with real ingredients and just plain good.

The ones in Canada are still a bit better than here, but damn do those things suck. They are an affront to all donut lovers everywhere.

Allie's and Butler's in Westport MA are the best around these parts. I would kill for an independent donut shop in Providence. East Side, West Side, who cares? Just come to Providence.

Tim Hortons was excellent before they got bought out by Wendy's. When they were just a canadian chain, they were fried onsite, made with real ingredients and just plain good.

Wasn't the original owner in Canada some kind of uber-right wing Christian fundamentalist nut? I remember hearing this somewhere...

- Garris

Wasn't the original owner in Canada some kind of uber-right wing Christian fundamentalist nut? - Garris

Yikes - and here I was thinking it is bad form to cast aspersions on entire groups of people because of their political or religious beliefs.

I think that was Bess Eaton. They used to slap new testament quotes on their cups. My 101 year old Jewish great grandmother wasn't so into that. Proselytizing and coffee don't mix.

Yes that was indeed Bess Eaton who ended up going belly up after some scandelous accounting and sold the remains to Tim Hortons. Those cups with the bible thumping on em were creepy as hell.

Yeah, Bess Eaton sucked too. Nothings worse than eating a crappy donut while religious propaganda is being shoved down your throat. I did like their huge coffee though, what was it called The Tank or something. I love how this has turned into the donut thread. I am obsessed with donuts, in fact my aol screename has been adambagodonuts forever now (a name which I beleive I stole from Paolino back in the day).

Went to undergrad in Hartford where there was a Bess Eaton. Wow did those donuts suck even worse than Tims and DD. About the only donuts I really like from a chain are Krispy Kreme. But only their sour cream cake donuts, not the sucrose I.V. drip yeast ones that everyone else loves. And since they stopped making them in the "North" I rely on my business travels to get em. Seems they felt they should not be wasting the good donuts they make on us Yankees.

Finally a REAL issue that I find near and dear to my heart.. DONUTS.

I agree with everything said so far.. I once did a 2 month tour of Canada (Vancouver BC to Halifax Novia Scotia and every place in between!) and the only thing that kept me alive during those 12 hour drives every nite was Tim Hortons.. they had this running promotion where once you were finished with your coffee you peel the lip of the cup back and 90 percent of the time there would be a symbol showing you that the next cup was free.. loved that place. I think Tim Horton was a hockey player.

I was pretty excited when they finally made it down here to the states only to have my hopes crushed after trying the subpar fare. does not even come close to the canadian version.

I grew up with Bess Eatons all over the place.. I always hated the way they shoved psalms under your nose via a styrofoam cup.. I too grew up in a jewish household and my parents hated that place..

The mere mention of Krispy Kreme's sour cake donut made me do a tripletake! I love that donut! so THATS why i can't get em up here.. i swear I've been telling people about that donut ever since i succumbed to its charms at a Krispy Kreme in Atlanta GA.. I'm going to have to show them your post to prove I've not been hallucinating! good to know it still exists...

ps.. speaking of subliminal biblical propaganda, have any of you enjoyed IN OUT Burger on the west coast? I really love that place.. (super fresh food, really clean, treat/pay theyre workers well etc) but i don't dig the biblical quotes that they hide all over the food wrappers.. wtf?

inout_cup-bottom-cropped.jpg

see you all under that sugar waterfall,

Jason (who really needs to take a trip to Allie's)

Ah, that's where I must have heard the reference (Bess Eaton being sold to TH).

Where's the nearest Krispy Kreme? Cranston?

- Garris

Yep, Cranston.

I occasionally indulge in the semi stale Krispy Kreme's at Shaws though. The glaze does a decent job of keeping them fresh. I especially dig the glazed vanilla kreme. Its like getting punched in the mouth with a 5lb bag of sugar.

I actually really like a fresh maple donut from dunkin donuts. The problem is that the majority of the time they are kind of stale. Maybe its just that I dont wake up early enough.

Liam

When Krispy Kreme first started coming up north they did carry the sour cream. About a year ago, they stopped. When I asked why, they said that they were not selling as well up north and the company decided to stop making them here. A fine business decision I guess, but piss poor for me. Southern KKs have about 10-15 additional flavors as you find in a northern KK.

And Liam, they make an excellent maple donut. Of the cake variety I beleive with maple frosting on top.

Archived