San Francisco Photo of the Day

Charles Pearson

The picture of the terrace of the Art Institute is lovely. Check out the reflection of the sea, or rather "wave" of houses in the windows is beautiful.

IMG_8402_TERRACESFAI.jpg

...i enjoy reading your descriptions that often make me smile... i am feeling a bit sick (coughing) after getting caught in an unexpected icy rain in glen park canyons when hiking with jackson (the dog), and it seemed like a hundred other dogs and friendly people we kept meeting... a few of those shots of the canyon next week... today: starting w/some diamond heights as there was simply too much that overwhelmed my senses...even when soaking wet in the hard pouring rain, no shelter, feeling rather chilled to the bones and yet miles away from home.

Edited by Zahc

DIAMONDHEIGHTS_GLENPARK.jpg

DIAMONDHEIGHTS_VIEWofBERNALHTS.jpg

SANBRUNOMTNS_DALYCITY_SANFRANCISCO.jpg

diamondheights_residential.jpg

THECITYbelowDiamondHeights.jpg

Hi Zahc, again, photos 3, 4, and 5 are wonderful proofs of how beautiful a combination of nature and civilisation (for which San Francisco is famous) can be. In picture 3, I love how the sea of houses dissoves in the distance into horizontal lines of houses. And Picture 5 is a great study in horizontal lines (the sea of low houses) and vertical lines (the skyline of highrises, that seem to grow out of the sea of houses). Also great in No 5 is how the diagonal row of houses with the zig zag of its' roofs in the forground is being mirrored in the lines of the Bay Bridge. I also love picture 4. The composition is lovely, and the picture also tells a story. The wooden fence may well be made from the trees that were cut down, of which only the stumps remain.

I always look forward to your new posts. You surprise me every time with yet another fresh point of view...

Edited by germanartist

That's one of your most beautiful, Zahc! It's almost as if the birds were standing on the surface of a lake, strewn with pieces of ice, and the reflections of the birds are not on the surface, but strange creatures hovering in the water, under the surface, below each bird...

OCEANBEACH_WINTERTIME_IMG_0876.jpg

Edited by germanartist

I love those old concrete banisters and walls from the 1920s, when architects and artisans were still thinking of the people who would actually use and look at these every day. Although they're just concrete, they're built with love, yoiu know, they could have just put a cheapo concrete wll there.

Also, in San Francisco neighborhoods that were developed in the 1920s, you often see concrete retaining walls and staircases with attractive decorative lines, sometimes with concrete benches set into the walls, so a person could take a rest while climbing the steep stairs (as in Sanchez Steps). I just love those little details.

BH1B_HIGHLANDSTREEBRIDGE_OVER_SANJOSEAVE.jpg

BH2_HighlandStreetBridge_Stairs.jpg

BH3_steps.jpg

SOMA_8thStreet.jpg

RinconTower_fromHowardStreet.jpg

Barren trees dance a frantic dance, in worship of the iconic turquoise tower. The leaves they have tithed, congregate into an amorphous green mass, which rises from below, draws closer, curious, finally caresses the triumphant symbol of architecture that is destined to replace their warm tones and natural shapes with shrill colors and an unforgiving, monotonous grid.

Edited by germanartist