Downtown Greensboro Developments

cityboi

I think that's gonna have a surprisingly large effect in improving the look and vibe of downtown. FYI the parking area beside the old depot is the only place that I know of downtown where the old cobblestone streets are still visible.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, DCB said:

I think that's gonna have a surprisingly large effect in improving the look and vibe of downtown. FYI the parking area beside the old depot is the only place that I know of downtown where the old cobblestone streets are still visible.

You are correct and I hope they keep the cobble stone. I just hope this building is put to great use and not just another brewery. The architecture is unique because this architecture died out a long time ago. Most if the structures were either torn down or destroyed by fire 

Edited by cityboi
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, cityboi said:

You are correct and I hope they keep the cobble stone. I just hope this building is put to great use and not just another brewery. The architecture is unique because this architecture died out a long time ago. Most if the structures were either torn down or destroyed by fire 

Would be cool if they made it into a co-op food market, much like the ones in raleigh, chapel hill, carrboro, etc. https://www.weaverstreetmarket.coop/

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, AlmaPinnix said:

Would be cool if they made it into a co-op food market, much like the ones in raleigh, chapel hill, carrboro, etc. https://www.weaverstreetmarket.coop/

Many cities convert old downtown train stations into museums, restaurants or community centers. While the station is not as large as the 1926 depot on Washington St, I do think there could be multiple uses. Part of the old station could be home to a visitor's center for downtown or the city as a whole. I would say food hall but one is already being planned for the current depot on Washington St. A co-op food market is a good idea. I would shy away from an event center that's going to lead to larger crowds congregating outside due to being next to the tracks which could be a safety issue. Also apartments or a small boutique hotel is a bad idea as well because the trains blow their horns crossing Elm Street at all times of the day and night. But the station could also serve as a main stop for the Hopper Trolley as well. I just don't want to see  brewery or bar considered for the building. There is enough of that within two or three blocks. While I would love to see something unique, my gut tells me it will just be another restaurant because that's Greensboro. We can't think outside the box and do different things. More than likely it will become a railroad themed restaurant with old Greensboro photos of both historic depots along the walls. They'll probably rebuild the platform and turn it into outdoor cafe seating.

Edited by cityboi

10 hours ago, cityboi said:

Many cities convert old downtown train stations into museums, restaurants or community centers. While the station is not as large as the 1926 depot on Washington St, I do think there could be multiple uses. Part of the old station could be home to a visitor's center for downtown or the city as a whole. I would say food hall but one is already being planned for the current depot on Washington St. A co-op food market is a good idea. I would shy away from an event center that's going to lead to larger crowds congregating outside due to being next to the tracks which could be a safety issue. Also apartments or a small boutique hotel is a bad idea as well because the trains blow their horns crossing Elm Street at all times of the day and night. But the station could also serve as a main stop for the Hopper Trolley as well. I just don't want to see  brewery or bar considered for the building. There is enough of that within two or three blocks. While I would love to see something unique, my gut tells me it will just be another restaurant because that's Greensboro. We can't think outside the box and do different things. More than likely it will become a railroad themed restaurant with old Greensboro photos of both historic depots along the walls. They'll probably rebuild the platform and turn it into outdoor cafe seating.

This project is being developed by the North Carolina Railroad company, owners of the tracks that run from Charlotte to Morehead City via Greensboro and Raleigh. The depot itself had been owned by Norfolk Southern Railroad, but they sold it to the NCRR. NCRR has done similar projects in the past - they restored a former freight depot in Raleigh's Warehouse District into a retail space. I'd say it's extremely unlikely that the trackside canopy and platform will be rebuilt due to the proximity to the tracks. I certainly wouldn't want to be eating dinner while a freight train blows past at 40 mph 10 feet from my table.

The second floor will likely be office space. I think a great ground-level use would be to relocate the ACC Hall of Champions here from the Coliseum. I think the Hall would do better downtown as a destination. However, given the ACC's very uncertain future, it may not be worth the effort.

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Good news for the Hopper Trolley. Funding for the free service was suppose to end in June but it looks like it will become a permanent free downtown transportation service as it will continue. In addition the Hopper Trolley is expanding its routes outside of downtown connecting downtown with Revolution Mill apartments and State Street (the boutique shopping village) a few miles north. The new routes takes effect just in time for the 4th of July and they are already talking about adding future routes which would include the First National Bank Field. Now that the city is expanding the trolley routes outside of downtown, I predict we will see future routes connecting UNCG/ NC A&T to downtown as well as a trolley route connecting the Koury Convention Center and Greensboro Coliseum to downtown. However the further out the routes go, the more trolleys they will have to add to keep the wait at the stops around 6 to 7 minutes. Right now there are 3 or 4 trolleys in service downtown 

If they were to add a route to the convention center, guests staying at the Sheraton Four Seasons Joseph S Koury Convention Center in town for conventions would have free transportation access to downtown. Or to save money on parking at the coliseum, people could park at a parking deck downtown and take the trolley to the coliseum for events there. 

https://www.wfmynews2.com/article/news/local/greensboro-transit-agency-city-downtown-revolution-mill-state-street-social-district-hopper-trolley-route-new/83-12f75286-fa53-4fbf-9f54-af30c0e7811c

Edited by cityboi
  • Like 2